Troubleshooting
Contact Admin

For Admins
Forum Software

French Reading Group

Japan With Kids - Forums: Education in Japan: French Reading Group
By Caroline on Friday, December 12, 2003 - 10:50 am:

"Pause-Lecture"
French Reading Group for 3 to 5-year olds in Kichijoji area. The project is still in the planning stage, but if the response if positive, sessions could start in January 2004! Please contact me (Caroline) at carolinegalan@yahoo.com for details.

By Mono on Tuesday, October 19, 2004 - 10:24 am:

There is an organization called ICBA which manages its book reading clubs in Japan.
According to their website, therefs one French book reading club in Chiyoda-ku Fujimi, and one German book reading club in Shinagawa-ku. The one I know is an English book reading club for families from English speaking countries and Japanese families who came back from English speaking countries to help them keep their English. I think ICBAfs book reading clubs are not meant to be used by those who want to learn another language.
There are ICBAfs book reading clubs in UK, Germany, Italy, USA, China, and Australia, and I think those are for keeping your childrenfs Japanese language skills.
Please contact ICBA to get contact information on reading clubs in your area. The website is only in Japanese, but the most of the people in ICBA understand English.
http://home.n03.itscom.net/icba/index.html

By Caroline on Tuesday, October 19, 2004 - 1:35 pm:

About ICBA, I am not sure how up-to-date their information is. I have a feeling the Koala Bunko English group in Musashino-shi doesn't exist anymore (never got any replies to my e-mails). Can anyone confirm? Also could anyone provide info about the French group?

By Mono on Tuesday, October 19, 2004 - 2:18 pm:

Dear Caroline, as far as I know the French book reading club in Chiyoda-ku is still VERY active. I saw members from that group last year, and am planning on seeing them again in a month or so. A nice French lady is leading that group.

As for the English reading club in Musashino, it looks like they will resume their activities in November according to their website. There are other English book reading clubs in Meguro- Higashiyama, Meguro-Yagumo(closed for now), Yokohama City, Kawasaki City, Kamakura City, Tsukuba City, and Utsunomiya City.

Each book reading clubs in ICBA are run and managed by the parents of bilingual children on a volunteer basis. I suspect that members of each clubs come and go often, so itfs not easy to get in touch with people in those clubs sometimes.

By Caroline on Tuesday, October 19, 2004 - 4:57 pm:

That is good news! Perhaps you can share with us the details about the meetings of the French group or give us the name and number (or e-mail) of a contact person. Do they have a website?

About the Musashino city group, can you give us the URL?

Also, do you know of any Spanish reading group out there?

By Mono on Tuesday, October 19, 2004 - 8:34 pm:

Hi Caroline, I apologize for not making it clear, but when I wrote gaccording to their website,h I meant according to ICBAfs website. ICBAfs website doesnft have the contact information or detailed information for each book reading club, but Ifve heard they are working on adding more info.

I'd asked the person in charge of ICBA last year about inviting non-members to their annual meeting, but I was told to refrain from doing it (not to mention talking about it on the web!) because dealing with its current members already keeps ICBAfs hands full.

There is no Spanish reading club in ICBA at this moment according to its website, but the website says ICBA will help people set up a new book reading club in their area by providing the things and helps they need to open a new club.
BTY, have you tried contacting the local Filipino or the Latino associations? They might be able to help you find a Spanish playgroup or book reading club.

Here's an e-mail address for ICBA. I hope ICBA will help you connect with the right people ;->

By Caroline on Wednesday, October 20, 2004 - 2:19 pm:

This all sounds pretty mysterious. I'm not sure I'm getting this right, but it seems as though there are clubs but they are restricted to a certain group of individuals?!?
Please correct me if this assumption is wrong. Also, you mention an e-mail but I don't see any posted. Please confirm. THANKS!

By Mono on Wednesday, October 20, 2004 - 5:59 pm:

Dear Caroline, Ifm sorry if I confused you. I wanted to make things short, and didnft bother to write the details. Anyway, herefs what happened. I wanted to write an article introducing ICBA's activities last year, and had asked the person in charge of ICBA if I could put their information on the web and also if I could bring some people outside of ICBA club to the ICBAfs annual meeting. At that time, I was told that the staffs, just regular (working) parents like us, were already very busy trying to organize what they already have in their clubs, so they were not in the situation to handle additional guests at the meeting. The clubs are maintained by parents, not by the paid staff members, and considering the fact how often members of each club come and go, it is not easy to keep things organized.

No, ICBA is definitely not one of those cult clubs, and it always welcomes a new member. However, there might be a case where a club has to turn down someone if the room they are using, such as a room in the community center, is already full of children and their parents to perform decent club activities. Itfs also possible that a club asks you to wait for a while to join if that certain club is going through major changes, like the head of the club moving out of town or country.

Sorry about the missing e-mail address. I mustfve deleted it when I was editing my message last timec.
ICBA:icba@g00.itscom.net

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: