Edit Profile
Troubleshooting
Contact Admin

For Admins
Forum Software

Saturday School

Japan With Kids - Forums: Education in Japan: Saturday School
By Caroline on Friday, September 9, 2005 - 1:33 pm:

Does anyone know of any Saturday School programs in Tokyo?

By Naoko Hikosaka on Friday, September 9, 2005 - 10:24 pm:

Hello, Caroline.
My Name is Naoko.

I supporsed to go back to Japan (Yokohama area) next week, and I was looking for English Saturday School around this area.

I wanted to my son keep studying in English even in Japan. But International Schools are out of our choice. Their tuitions are very expensive to us.

I posted my question for Saturday English School on Aug, but I couldn't have any reply.
So I dicided to enroll my son Junshin Joshi Gakuen Saturday English Program.

http://www.toshima.ne.jp/%7Ekyoiku/Eigo-Hoshuko-E.htm

Also, I heard Canadian International School in Shinagawa has Saturday School.

http://cisjapan.net/saturday/jp/index.asp

(sorry, I can't find English version of this page.)

I hope you can find any good school!
have a nice weekend!

all the best,

By Kaneko on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 12:17 am:

We will be living in Nerima-ku next year and are looking for a saturday english reading and writing class for our 6 years old son.
Also, if anybody knows a playgroup for this age on saturday, please let me know.
Thank you.

By Chizuko Matsui on Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 1:41 pm:

Hi, Ms. Kaneko,
I know one school called English Studio has Saturday Intensive class in the morning and afternoon. They mostly have returnee children classes. I wonder if your son is a returnee child. Anyway, they do writing and reading in class and their curriculum is based on the one which is used in U.S.A. I think it is the best if you visit their web site: www.englishstudio.jp/

Cheers

By Kaneko on Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 11:34 pm:

Thank you. It`s very kind of you. I`ll try to contact them. Yes, we used to live abroad but it`s been 2 years since we moved to Japan, so I don`t think he is considered as returnee. But he does speak, write and read a little.

By Caroline on Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 10:46 am:

Columbia International School has a Saturday program:
http://www.columbia-ca.co.jp/e/etc/saturday.html
Does anyone have experience with it?

By Cornelia on Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 4:34 pm:

Hi Caroline, my girlfriend has her son in it. He seems to like it. I can ask her if she'd care to send you a message directly.

By Caroline on Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 7:40 pm:

Thanks Cornelia, that'd be great! We're considering it for our daughter.

By Tom Broome on Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 10:13 pm:

Dear Caroline I had a very bad experince at this school a couple years ago . We paid full payment and my son could only attend for two weeks .I ask for a refund and told me to hit the road.I contacted the Canadaian Embassy and was able ony to get half the payment back .This school is not owned by a Canadain but a Japanese business group .I think the teachers are well trained but be cafeful of the contract and refund policy

By Tom on Friday, October 28, 2005 - 12:00 pm:

I would like to know if anyone knows the names of Christian International Schools in Japan . Thank you .

By Nancy on Friday, October 28, 2005 - 6:41 pm:

This is one school in Yokohama http://www.yica.co.jp/

By Caroline on Friday, October 28, 2005 - 7:28 pm:

Dear Tom:

So sorry about your experience at Columbia. By the way, I was casually looking through the website of various schools for similar programs as well as summer camps, and I saw, on various occasions, a policy clearly stating that no refund can be made under any circumstance. Could it be that this is the rule rather than the exception among schools?

By Tom on Thursday, November 3, 2005 - 8:04 am:

Dear Caroline in your response about a school refund .First of all a school of any sort should offer a refund especially an International School.Recently in Japan many parents have taken schools to Civil Court under Article 90 of the Civil Law of Japan and won . In Canadan or American you must have some sort of refund policy in a contract . The same applies in Japan .Many foreign people think Japan is a special place and that Labor Law and Contract Law do not apply ,that is not true .You have to apply the law Do not be afraid to do it . I won my case in Labor Law and I did get a refund back .Also nothing is impossibe with GOD.

By Kaneko on Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 10:53 pm:

Hi
I have seen the english studion website but the fee is too high for us. Does anyone knows some where else ? weekday is also fine after 4pm.
Thank you

By Reiko Matsuzawa on Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 7:30 pm:

Gregg International School in Jiyugaoka offers Saturday School(9am to 12 noon for age 3 to elementary) and Afternoon School(3pm to 4:30 for preschoolers, 4:30 to 6:00 for Age 6 and up).
Saturday School includes outside play time in the school yard.
Please call 03-3725-8000 and visit www.gis-j.com for more information.
Open House for families with children will be on Saturday, February 4, 2006.
Registration starts at 9:20.
Please call to make reservations.

By Admin on Wednesday, April 12, 2006 - 3:20 pm:

Hi Tom, for a complete list of international schools in Japan please reference: http://www.tokyowithkids.com/fyi/international_schools.html

Also, the refund issue. Glad to see that it worked out. Most schools will readily refund the tuition but not the registration fee(s). Spiritual assistance is very helpful for keeping one's temper, but common sense and a bit of tenacity will usually obtain the results wished for as well! I don't think the people at that school think of themselves as sinners or any such thing! They do (did?) have a Japanese administrator so the language may not come out as correctly in English as it could. Just making the disagreement public (in a well-visited forum such as this one) is a powerful incentive for most schools to clear up a matter of contention quickly to everyone's satisfaction, but first it is best to get the matter specified in writing.

For example, a polite request for other parents to send an email to the school, along the lines of "I heard that... is this true?" would probably avoid calling in the proffesional mediators. Providing specific details in a non-emotional manner would make it easier for others to draft an email to the school properly. The school in question is a reputable one serving a geographic area that needs this type of school. I would hate to see them pulled down!

By Laurel Seacord on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 9:34 am:

My son Adam (12 years old) had a good experience at Columbia International School Saturday school last year, and is now attending the regular school as a 7th grader.

Classes ran from 9 am to 1 pm, with a 1/2 hour 'free time' break in the middle. The tuition was 270,000 plus 35,000 'entrance fee' (charged the first year only), or 10,000 per day of school.

They divide the kids up based on grade and ability, and he was in the highest level. The emphasis was on speaking and listening, with almost no work on reading and writing. My son's speaking and listening skills did improve quite a bit through the practice he did there.

He enjoyed the program, and I thought it was a very good way to transit from Japanese elementary school to English-language middle school. He gained a lot of confidence in his own ability to follow what the teacher was saying, and to ask and answer questions.

One concern I had was the high turnover of teachers - there were THREE for my son's class, although all of them were enthusiatic and conscientious while they were there. The problem is that this is a four-hour a week part-time job in an inconvenient location for most people.

The major plus for me was that the school is the closest one to where we live.

By Gregg on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 4:06 pm:

GREGG INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL
SATURDAY SCHOOL
9:00-12:00
For Age 3- Elementary
Circle Time, Outside Play Time,
Art & Craft,
Phonics for Younger Students,
Lots of Writing for Older Students.
Please Call 03-3725-8000
for more information.
Ask for a trial lesson.
Near Jiyugaoka Station on Toyoko Line

By Gregg on Saturday, October 15, 2011 - 4:31 pm:

You and your children are welcome to
Gregg Inernational School ( since 1986 )
Saturday School

We have a very successful Saturday School for ages 3 to elementary. Many bi-cultural families are sending their children, who are attending Japanese schools during the week, to us every Saturday to let them be in an English language environment.
Homeroom teachers of our International School are teaching. Warm and caring atmosphere help children feel at home.
Phonics, reading, writing, arts and crafts, story time, outdoor play, singing, cooking, science, and much more.
Spacious schoolyard for outdoor play. Trees and flowers are waiting for you and your family.

5 minutes from Jiyugaoka station on Toyoko and Oimachi Lines. Enjoy your time in Jiyugaoka while your children are having fun in Saturday School. Holidays are celebrated, too.

Please call 03-3725-8000 to make an appointment for a one day try out(7,500yen / 3H). www.gis-j.com Please call or write to matuzawa@gregg.ac.jp for more information

By Qoolilg on Friday, August 23, 2013 - 1:04 pm:

this is pretty cool. T.N.G Academy from Canada. They teach dance in English and maybe your kid will like it:-)

www.tng-academy.com

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: