Edit Profile
Troubleshooting
Contact Admin

For Admins
Forum Software

Boy Scouts

Japan With Kids - Forums: Education in Japan: Boy Scouts
By Shibuya on Tuesday, September 20, 2005 - 11:35 am:

I have a first-grader who would love to join a boy scout troop. I have lost the contact information I had last year, when he was still too young to join, so am looking for a troop in central Tokyo. Any information appreciated!
TIA

By Julie Hansberry on Tuesday, September 20, 2005 - 11:41 am:

Your best bet would be the troup at The American Club (TAC). There is also one at St. Mary's, but that is in Setagaya ward.

By Shibuya on Tuesday, September 20, 2005 - 11:58 pm:

I'll give TAC a call, but just wondering if one needs to be a member of the club to join Boy Scouts?
Thanks for the help!

By Scott Hancock on Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 12:48 am:

Definitely do NOT need to be a member of TAC to join Boy Scouts. TAC just provides the place for them to meet. I'm trying to get you the contact number for Boy Scouts, or TAC desk may have it.
Scott

By Edward Harris on Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 10:52 am:

Shibuya is looking for a Cub Scout Pack rather than a Boy Scout Troop (1st Graders join the Cubs, 6th Graders and up join the Scouts). The Cub Master of Pack 51 which meets two Friday's a month at TAC is Julie Fukuda whose email is kiska@inter.net. If Shibuya turns out to be an ASIJ parent, there is another option. Pack 5 meets one Saturday a month at ASIJ (in the MPR). The Cub Master is Dan Sawyer whose email is sawyers[at]gol.com.

Cubs are grouped into "Dens" by age group (i.e.: all first graders will be together in a Den). Dens meet separately from the Pack meetings (which are meant to get all the Dens together periodically). The Pack 51 Dens meet afternoons or weekends at homes in downtown Tokyo. The Pack 5 Dens meet in ASIJ classrooms after school on weekdays.

Hope this helps.
Ed Harris
Scoutmaster, Troop 51

By Shibuya on Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 3:59 pm:

Thank you, Ed! Since we don't go to ASIJ, I'll see about the other option. I appreciate the help.

By Edward Harris on Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 4:19 pm:

In that case, Pack 51 at TAC is your best bet. You do not need to be a TAC member.

By Thekubos on Tuesday, January 17, 2012 - 1:21 pm:

Yes, there is an (English-speaking) Boy
Scout and Cub Scout Troop in the Yokohama area!

International Boy Scouts IBS Troop 1 -- the 1st and oldest International Boy Scout troop in the World! -- is looking for a few good (young) men.

Where: Yokohama Country & Athletic Club in Yamate
(7-minute walk from JR Yamate station/free parking available, too)

When: 1:30~3:00 pm, every other Sunday

Requirements: Boys only. Child must be able to speak English.

Dues/uniform: Annual membership dues at only 10,000 yen; purchase of uniform required (about 7,000 yen).

Activities include: hiking, camping, soccer and other physical activities, orienteering, rank advancement, pinewood derby races, knot tying, parade marching, etc.

Note: You do not need to be a member of the YC&AC to join IBS.

Boy & Cub Scouts is tons of fun, so if your
boy (age 6 to 10 for Cubs) is looking to join
a fun bunch of boys, please contact:

Mike Kubo at michaelkubo[at]gmail.com

Mike Kubo
Assistant Cub Master, IBS Troop 1

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: