Getting Started
Register Here
Edit Profile
Troubleshooting
Contact Admin

For Admins
Forum Software

To Parents whose children are trilingual or more

Japan With Kids - Forums: Education in Japan: To Parents whose children are trilingual or more
By Kaneko on Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 11:55 am:

My children are trilingual(japanese, english and french). I`d love to hear from parents whose children are trilingual or more. How do they get to learn speaking, reading and writing in all 3 or more languages ?
My children don`t have any problem in Japanase (well, at the moment), speak english and write a little, speak french but can`t write.
I`d like to hear your experiences.
Thank you.

By May Ose on Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 2:11 pm:

hi kaneko

well i guess were in the same boat hehe, im a filipina with a japanese husband while my family is in australia for quite long and now were based here in tokyo so my kid speaks 3 languages ( tagalog,english,japanese) as for the tagalog and english we use that for our daily conversation (hub can speak english by the way). the only thing right now his catching up with japanese since he just got here last april but slowly his learning again...whew! hehe well i can see that my kid is enjoying 3 of it haha

By Bethan Hutton on Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 6:21 pm:

You might find it useful to join the bilingual families mailing list - it's an international internet discussion forum, in English, and many of the people who contribute to it are bringing up their children with three, four or even more languages. A lot of the discussions focus on how to help children with their weaker languages, what strategies to use if you're using a language you are not a native speaker of, etc.

The website is: http://www.nethelp.no/cindy/biling-fam.html
which will give you more information, but to see the discussions you actually have to subscribe to the mailing list.

I would recommend going for the "digest" version which means you get all the messages together once every day or two, otherwise at times when the list is very active you will find your mailbox is full of messages you don't have time to read.

By Jack Bayles on Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 10:04 pm:

re: trilingualism

Our kids are best in reading/writing in
Japanese, second in English and distant
third in Chinese. You might want to look
at the book "A Parent's and Teacher's
Guide to Bilingualism". It has lots of stuff
about multilingualism. The group also has
a parents newsletter that deals with all
this. BTW the book is available at Tengu
Natural
Foods in Japan for 3,000 yen at their
homepage www.alishan-organic-
center.com

By Kaneko on Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 11:51 pm:

Thanks to all of you and for all the useful information...because we are finding it difficult to teach all 3 languages to our children.
Jack, my son understands a little mandarin as well cause we used to live in Singapore but he`s not using it daily anymore and no chinese speaking friends around, so he`s losing it.

To the lady who emailed me : could you please resend me the email. I deleted by mistake (silly me!). My children are both the same age as yours!Hope to hear from you again. Sorry again.

By Eddie on Tuesday, October 16, 2012 - 10:26 pm:

ILm Brazilian, my wife is Japanese, and my 2 daughters are U.S. citizens who grew up speaking/reading English. Now we are in Brazil where they are enrolled in Brazilian school to learn Portuguese. We will be moving to Japan in 2013 and we will be enrolling them in Japanese school.

By Caroline on Wednesday, October 17, 2012 - 6:39 pm:

Hi Eddie,
That's a very brave move on your part. I suppose your kids speak some Japanese... Will you live in Tokyo? Did you plan to enrol your daughters in public school? In any case, good luck settling in Japan.

By Eddie on Wednesday, October 17, 2012 - 9:13 pm:

Hey Caroline, no my children speaks no Japanese at all. When the first one was born, my wife used to talk and sing in Japanese to her, but soon she dropped it as the whole enviroment (home, friends, etc) was in English. ILm considering an International school but I also heard of a Tokyo public school which has many western kids and teach Japanese as a second language to them. I believe it is called Kohgai Elementary. I donLt expect them to learn Japanese right away, but since we have long term plans to Japan, I hope they learn it over the years. As far as the Portuguese language, they are learning it faster than I expected. WeLve been in Brazil for 11 months and they already read and write it althought they have problems understanding it on TV.

By Eddie on Wednesday, October 17, 2012 - 9:42 pm:

Hey Caroline, no my children speaks no Japanese at all. When the first one was born, my wife used to talk and sing in Japanese to her, but soon she dropped it as the whole enviroment (home, friends, etc) was in English. ILm considering an International school but I also heard of a Tokyo public school which has many western kids and teach Japanese as a second language to them. I believe it is called Kohgai Elementary. I donLt expect them to learn Japanese right away, but since we have long term plans to Japan, I hope they learn it over the years. As far as the Portuguese language, they are learning it faster than I expected. WeLve been in Brazil for 11 months and they already read and write it althought they have problems understanding it on TV.

By Gaela on Wednesday, October 17, 2012 - 10:14 pm:

Hi,
Well we settled in Japan in April 2011, not speaking one word of Japanese. Our son - then 9- went to a Japanese school. He was raised in French and English up to then.
And it was pretty rough on him. Academically, it isn't that bad but it's being the only non-japanese kid around! ... And having a non-japanese speaking mother!
Also, being both foreigners and not speaking Japanese - or hardly - the understanding of all school activities and all communication with school is just a full time job. After 18 months our son was just not in his normal state so we changed him school to one where he could have his languages plus Japanese. He's smoothly getting back to his quite usual cheerfulness and tells me about his new friends - he thought he couldn't make friends anymore!-
Gaela

By Eddie on Wednesday, October 17, 2012 - 11:25 pm:

Hey Gaela, where have you settled? We are in talk with some friends in Hokkaido. My wife have relatives in Nagoya and we have some long time friends in Hiroshima so we do have these 3 options. I've heard of this school in Tokyo that has support classes in Japanese for foreign children but Tokyo would be too expensive for us. I would like to settle where more English speaking kids are around so my kids can have some play time with them.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: