Troubleshooting
Contact Admin

For Admins
Forum Software

Activities for Toddlers

Japan With Kids - Forums: Education in Japan: Activities for Toddlers
Please take a look at our sponsor!

By nancy wechsler on Thursday, May 18, 2000 - 1:28 pm:

Is anyone aware of any programs for 20 month old toddlers during the summer? I was interested in gymnastics, summer schools or mom-n-tot programs. I would appreciate any information on such programs.

By Rachel Cramond on Friday, August 31, 2001 - 1:12 pm:

Hello,
I`m very new to Tokyo,but it appears to me that the provision of high quality, innovative groups for pre 2's is lacking here. This age group has been receiving a great deal of attention in other parts of the world with more emphasis being placed on their unique learning needs. Is this the case or am I really missing out?

By Scott Hancock on Friday, August 31, 2001 - 6:44 pm:

I would say it is the case. You are not missing something that's there.

When will you start a class?

By Admin on Wednesday, December 26, 2001 - 6:42 am:

Actually there is a fair bit of stuff planned for this age group through the libraries, children's halls and so on. You just are missing it because you are illiterate in Japanese and the point of this web site is to help people who are "language challenged" here (spoken tongue in cheek) to share solutions that they have found to these types of problems. The good thing about toddlers is that they are not yet in the groove for any single language and can enjoy other toddlers regardless of language fluency. The mothers of course may feel differently!

If you need to stick to English and if you live not far from Hiro in Minato-ku, Tokyo, and if you have some extra cash for the purpose you can try out "kspace".

http://kspace.to

good luck

By Misawa on Thursday, December 27, 2001 - 7:51 am:

Toshima-ku event from Toshima Ward Newsletter dated 25 December:
Tanpopo (dandelion) karuta-kai (playing cards in Japanese way)

January 12 (Saturday)
Ikebukuro Library
tel: 03-3985-7981
14:00 to 15:00 (If the children are having fun, it will last for a little longer.)
From 2 years to 12 years old. (Will be separated into several groups by age.)

By Cornelia on Saturday, January 26, 2002 - 8:34 am:

Hi, I just checked out a site that promotes reading by allowing busy parents to download and print "bed-time" stories. They plan to have them for ages pre-school up to about 9.

I read "Marmie and Her Fantastic String" at:
http://www.mumsnet.com/story/ dated Feb 26, 2001. It is a funny little story about a kitten looking for things with which to play.

There are four stories to choose from at:
http://web.ukonline.co.uk/rachel.murrell/viewstory.html

But there is a directory of more stories too (look at the menu in the blue box on the left).

This would be a great source of new materials in English for people living far from the big city. They seem to have some stories published in French and a couple of other languages. Apparently, if I had any money, I could buy the rights to a story to put on this web site!

Most of the stories in the catalog have been purchased for web exposure by some web site so you can probably find them by doing a google.com search for the title of the book, if all else fails.

By Cornelia on Wednesday, January 30, 2002 - 5:17 pm:

You have to log in for this story but it was really funny!
http://www.fathersdirect.com/news/?page=news&id=425&sub=29

The Twingles: Jungle Explorers

By Juliet Rogove on Friday, June 14, 2002 - 2:18 pm:

Hi to Nancy and all Parents,
If you have a little one then READ ON.
By way of a huge "THANKS!" to all at TWK for your support and excellent work, we are posting this very special offer........
Kspace (Baby Gym and Play Centre, Hiroo) has a very special promotion running throughout JUNE & JULY, 2002.
Based in the heart of Tokyo we have a beautiful play gym based in the J.C.C Building, Hiroo. Our programme of activities was designed by psycologists and physiotherapists, endorsed by the ACEI (Association for Childhood Education International), the Pre School Learning Alliance (UK) and tested by the world's best....our babies!

A beautiful centre with great Staff, great family atmosphere and true dedication to promoting international understanding.
Conducted in English (by native English speakers) our classes aim to stimulate all of your child's senses through a magical blend of pure fun, song and organised activity.

OUR SPECIAL OFFERS: (JUNE & JULY 2002 PROMOTION)
If you have just had a baby then we would like to help you get out of the house and escape the isolation. Let us offer you a place to come and share with other new mothers and enjoy your baby in a relaxed and interesting environment.

1. The FIRST TWO Tokyo With Kids parents to contact us (and reserve a place) will receive a TOTALLY FREE placement in the Kspace 'Lookers' class. Your prize will entitle you to attend a once weekly class (Wednesday, 12.00) up until your baby reaches its four month milestone. No need to pay a penny! (We will be announcing names of the winners and posting a progress update via this forum.)
2. For ALL babies under 12 months we have completely dropped the Membership Fee!This is a big saving in initial outlay and you need only pay for your Session Fees.

3. Of course we could not exclude all of our other parents, so for children aged 1 to 3.5 years (our cut off point) the Membership Fee has been sliced in half....just 50% of cost! Session Fees remain as usual.

NEWS FLASH
Read on for other developments at Kspace....
All clients are entitled to one Trial Session, completely free of charge. Come along and see what we have to offer.

We have a Father's Day planned for June 23rd. A great chance to come along with your family, join in the activities and visit our community.

We are delighted to announce that the swimming pool (Tokyo's best kept secret!) is now open. We have both baby and adult pools, full changing facilities, snacks/drinks menu and planned events to follow later in the year. This is not a public pool and offers much needed privacy and seclusion for you and your family.

Baby Massage classes are now running (0-12 months) with full instruction for parents on how to massage and sooth your baby.

Aerobics classes for mothers-to-be and new mothers are held once weekly.

Mothers Discussion Groups held monthly with varying topics, largely member driven. We also have a Book Club and often have visits from speakers within the childcare field.

Outdoor activities and picnics are planned throughout the summer/early autumn. We choose Tokyo's most beautiful sights and 'wow' an amazed audience of passers by whilst our beautiful children play, dance and sing.

Are we for you?
Are you new in Tokyo and need to meet other mums?
Is your child in need of a more challenging, structured environment where freedom of expression and creativity are key?
Are you a Japanese mother who wishes her child to learn English language amongst international friends?
Are you a working mother looking for a place where you can send your child and carer, with full confidence that they will both have a wonderful time?

Kspace has something for everyone, so much for all!

Thank you so much for giving me some of your time. I look forward to meeting you,
Juliet Rogove (Principal)
Please contact us at;
e-mail: juliet@kspace.to
or, view our homepage http://www.kspace.to/
telephone: 03-5774-6059 and 03-5774-6089

Our postal address is:
Kspace JCC
8-8 Hiroo 3-Chome, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo 150-0012

By Anne Swartz on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 6:07 pm:

I am new to the western Tokyo (Hachioji) area. I am looking for playtime classes, like American Gymboree or Mommy and Me classes. I haven`t found much for toddlers. Can anyone offer any advice?

By Admin on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 8:32 am:

Dear Anne,
two possibilities that jump to mind are K Space in Hiroo, and Children's Garden International Preschool in Kichijoji. Both are listed in the International Schools list at http://www.tokyowithkids.com/fyi/international_schools.html
I think maybe Children's Garden has special "classes" on weekends for babies/toddlers with their parent(s).

By marlon serafica on Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 10:40 pm:

If anyone is looking for a good Early Childhood Center. My friend advised me on this school. Check out their website at www.grace-learning.com and hope to have involved parents like me in the Parent-Teacher Association.

By sarina lie on Friday, February 21, 2003 - 9:35 pm:

Hi,Marlon

Please tell me more about the school you mentioned above.
Grace-learning.com.
Is this a coed preschool? where is the location? What make it different from other preschool?
Thank you.

By Blue Sky on Friday, March 7, 2003 - 12:27 am:

JFor any mothers and babies in the Setagaya-ku area, you may be interested to know about the mother and baby groups I hold in my home, near Sakura Shinmachi/Yoga stations. I have Little Angels playgroup for mothers and babies up to about one year old, and several music and movement groups for mothers and children together, from ages 1 to 4. Please email for further details. blue.sky@gol.com or call me on 03-3425-2534.J

By barbie belle on Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 10:13 pm:

Hello,Sarina. My 4 year old son goes to that great school, Grace Learning Center. The school atmosphere is wonderful, so is their teaching staff and the Director is very approachable. The owner is also there when needed. One thing about this school, the children are crying when it's good-bye time, they just don't want to leave the place. Have you seen a school like this? Please visit their website @ www.grace-learning.com or better yet call them for a scheduled school tour or trial lesson. I can finally say that I found a partner in my child's education. Hope to see you there and be as happy as I am.

By daniel&nathan on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 11:16 am:

Hello! I'm very new to Japan and I have a 7mos baby boy. I am ready to send him to a good childminding class. Any info will be greatly appreciated. I refuse to take him to a Japanese daycare.(sorry, but the one I saw just doesn't appeal to me at all) I'm looking for one that is quite similar to the one the have back in the U.S. help PLEASE!!!!

By susan suryanto on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 11:42 am:

daniel&nathan

Please try Grace International Learning Center.Their classroom setting are marvelous,just like the one back in the state.
They are coming up with a good spring program too.
Mar 24-April4. Thanks God for that. It sure helps a mom like me who is wondering what to do for my kids's spring vacation.

http://www.grace-learning.com
tel:03-5716-3100

By Grace International Learning Center on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 8:41 pm:

Hello everyone. My name is Cheryl Ann and I am the Director for Grace International Learning Center. I would like to thank all the parents who have been refering other parents to our school and in one way or the other helping us out. We would also like to inform you about our Spring Program which is quite getting popular from this discussion group. By the way the program will start on the 24th of March till the 4th of April. You have a choice of a 2-week program or a week program. Please visit our website @www.grace-learning.com or call us for more information and we will gladly answer your concerns.

I would also like to call the attention of Mrs. Jane T. who called me today inquiring about our spring program. I meant to send you the requested material but unfortunately I did not quite get your address correctly. Please email us the correct information and again I apologize for the error. Thank you very much.

By Grace International Learning Center on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 9:34 pm:

Hello everyone! Grace International Learning Center is offering a spring program which will start next week, March 24th. We are offering a choice of 1-week or 2 weeks program filled with fun and interesting activities chilren will enjoy.

If you want a copy of the schedule of activities and application letter, please do not hesitate to call us at our office at 03-5716-3100 or visit our website@www.grace-learning.com.

Thank you very much and hope to see you at the Spring Camp.

Cheryl Ann

P.S. I would also like to take this opportunity to thank all the parents who in one way or the other helping us in promoting our school.

By Mariko on Monday, May 26, 2003 - 12:05 pm:

Good news for mothers who look for a good play hall in Minato-ku Tokyo for their children(babies to teen-agers).
A newly opened in April 2003 Minato municipal play hall for kids (Akasaka kids-to-teens hall) is just an ideal spot to visit.
There is a gymnasium, craft room, library, computer room, TV game room (25 min/day per kid), and a room for babies and toddlers with ball pool, blocks, picture books etc.
Entrance fee is free and it's open from 9:30 to 20:00, 7days a week except national holidays.
The location is Ex Hikawa elementary school, 5 minutes walk from Akasaka Station (bitween TBS and Arkhills), Subway exit 5B and walk toward Ark Hills (or ANA hotel) and you'll find it on your right hand).
For further information, please send a mail to marikoshin@aol.com.

By Sraboni Dutta on Sunday, August 24, 2003 - 1:46 am:

Hello,
If anyone is looking for a good Early Childhood Center, I would be too happy to introduce Grace International Learning Center in Setagaya–Ku.
I first put my 4year old son for their one and a half month summer camp and my son absolutely loved it. He usually goes to another International School, but he liked this school so much that now he does not want to go to the other one and asking me to send him to GILC. The school atmosphere is wonderful, so is their teaching staff. The owner is also a very nice lady, very friendly.
What makes this school different from others??? My answer will be --- DEDICATED TEACHERS. They are really ready to put that extra effort which your child needs. The teachers are very much approachable Ethey are always ready to listen to any kinds of problems regarding my child and also ready to give me full support. Incase you are interested, please visit their website @www.grace-learning.com

By Tina Peterson on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 12:06 pm:

Let me introduce you to Imagine Child Development Center! We are located on the 13th floor of Landmark Tower, which is in the Sakuragicho neighborhood of Yokohama.

We offer child care, a preschool program, and drop in child care for children ages 2 months - 6 years. Imagine is operated by an American, and the language of operation is English.

We invite you to come visit our center at any time! In September and October, we have one hour introductory sessions every Tuesday and Thursday from 3:30-4:30 , where you can meet the educators, see your child interacting with them, tour the center, and get all of your questions answered! Please call ahead if you wish to come to an introductory session so we can be sure we have adequate staffing available to meet the children's needs. You can reach us at 045-224-2121 or at imagine@lfa.ne.jp

We look forward to helping serve your child care needs. Drop in care is available 7 days a week!

By Westsan on Thursday, January 8, 2004 - 11:26 pm:

I like to go to the jidokan's with my kid now that its winter.
Its indoors warm and pretty fun (actually a blast).

There is one near the American embassy compound and another called ai-port near the aoyama elm. school.

By Anne on Monday, March 8, 2004 - 3:20 pm:

Hi,

I am looking for a private swimming teacher for my 2-and half year-old son that can come to my home (we have a swimming pool in our building). I am living in Minato-ku

Please send references and fees.

Thank you
Anne

By Robin Lancien on Monday, February 7, 2005 - 5:45 pm:

Actually they go up to 6 years old but here goes:

Tumble Tots from the UK. Pre-opening Feb 21st in Mita,
Tokyo (Tamachi station on the Yamanote line). Call for a free trial lesson. Tel: 045-547-5140
http://www.tumbletots.com/newsite/index.asp?languageID=

By Nishan & Chihiro Aghababian on Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 8:57 pm:

MUSIC TOGETHER CLASSES NOW IN JIYUGAOKA (as well as our Aoba-dai and Center Kita locations)
Are you looking for a music class (in English) that you and your child can enjoy together?

These music and movement classes are:
*for children ages birth to six and the adults who love them.
*taught by professional musicians with extensive experience educating children.
*put the fun back in to the excitement of making music.

Come Experience the Difference!
FREE DEMO CLASSES in Jiyugaoka April 6th and 13th. (Call for dates in Aoba-dai and Center Kita).
tel: (045) 943-5185 aghababian@k8.dion.ne.jp

We hope to hear from you soon so we can bring The Joy of Family Music into your life.
Nishan & Chihiro Aghababian

By Kids' Apple Orchard on Monday, July 18, 2005 - 10:31 pm:

To the Japan with Kids Community:

I have recently opened a learning center, KidsEApple Orchard, for children ages six months to four years and their parents. My classes last 45 to 60 minutes and feature creatively-designed activities that encourage the active co-participation of parent and child. All classes are taught in English, and all nationalities and backgrounds are welcome to join. Kids will enjoy music, puppets, stories, bubbles, arts & crafts and using our playroom. Parents will have the opportunity to meet other parents of young children.

About me: I have taught “Mommy and MeEclasses in California for one year. In addition, I founded and ran a support group for mothers. I am also the mother of an infant and a toddler.

KidsEApple Orchard is located in the city of Kawasaki, just 6 minutes from Kawasaki station, 9 minutes from Yokohama Station and 19 minutes from Tokyo Station.

Please check out our Web site for more info:

www.kidsappleorchard.com

I hope to see you here!

Amanda Jones

By Jellund on Sunday, October 16, 2005 - 3:19 pm:

Hello
I am teaching a series of Parent and Child cooking classes in English, the schedule for the rest of this year is...

Wednesday 19th October 4-5pm
Jack-o-lantern carving and Pumpkin and White Chocolate pie sampling

Wednesday 9th November 4-5pm
Wednesday 16th Novembter 4-5pm
Raspberry and Banana Trifle and Tiramisu

Wednesday 14th December 4-5pm
Wednesday 21st December 4-5pm
Cookie house decorations and gingerbread shapes

Please email me if you would like to reserve a space in the class. Hope to hear from you soon.

By Admin on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 9:04 am:

Azabu Musica Together (http://www.azabumusictogether.com) is now accepting registrations for the Fall (2006) and has one or two cancellations in the current semester.

-- Azabu Music Together with classes at RBR (between Azabu Juban and Hiroo) and in Kichijoji is a JWK supporter. Please let Priscilla Carmichael know you read about them on this web site ! --

By Azabumusictogether on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 7:31 pm:

Azabu Music Together - Friends & Family Day / Spring & Summer Classes in Kichijoji & Roppongi

[Open House and Free Sample Music Class]
You're invited to come and experience a free class!
Azabu Music Together invites parents or other caregivers and their infants, toddlers, and preschool children and their friends and families to experience a free class at our "Friends and Family Day" event the last week of March.
Class size is limited, so please RSVP.
For details on dates/times, please e-mail us at admin@azabumusictogether.com

Ongoing Classes: Spring & Summer Semesters
Azabu Music Together is currently accepting registrations for the Spring 2008 Term.
Classes are held near Roppongi Hills/Azabu and in Kichijoji.
Spring Term will begin from April 7th and continue for 10 weeks. Registration deadline for Spring semester is March 31st.

We'll also be offering Summer Classes in July and August at Music Together this year. For more information, please e-mail us at info@azabumusictogether.com

For more information on class schedules and registration information please visit our website at http://www.azabumusictogether.com/register.htm

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: