Edit Profile
Troubleshooting
Contact Admin

For Admins
Forum Software

Abacus - Soroban

Japan With Kids - Forums: Education in Japan: Abacus - Soroban
By Cornelia on Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 5:36 pm:

In Tokyo you can find a small abacus class nearly in every neighborhood (just like calligraphy). My daughter thought she'd like to try it out. We live near Asukayama Park in Kita-ku, and sure enough we passed a sign for Soroban classes shortly after moving here.

She just started on Thursday. It meets twice a week. The cost is Y6200 per month and an initial fee of Y1000 (which pays for a bag and a "gift"). We supplied the abacus which we found in a second hand shop.

The teacher, a gruff sounding older gentleman, it turns out is very kind and patient. He speaks very loudly so there is no question of hearing him! But my daughter is very excited after two classes, and for the first time ever is doing her homework immediately after coming home from the class. It's a one room schoolhouse situation and the teacher is attending to many different ages and levels at the same time. The beginners get to see what the advanced can do and it is a great stimulus!

Details:
Teacher: Kenji Tani
03-3917-8586 (114-0023 Kita-ku, Takinogawa 1-55-7)
03-3910-8518 (114-0024 Kita-ku, Nishigahara 4-14-13)
There's one more phone number, but I'm not sure for what: 3915-8485
Japanese only. The first location is on Thu. & Sat. The Nishigahara location is on Mon. & Fri.

By Mandy Sandy on Monday, April 24, 2006 - 2:19 am:

I am looking for a Soroban Class in Bunkyo-ku or Shinjuku-ku (not too far from Bunkyo-ku though). Can anybody help me?

By mom of 2 on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 2:19 pm:

I am looking for a soroban class in bunkyo-ku. Can anyone recommend a good place ?

By Judith on Thursday, November 8, 2007 - 7:14 pm:

I am looking for a soroban class or teacher in Setagaya-ku, near Jiyugaoka, Denenchofu or Okusawa. I would settle for something in Mita or Azabu, too. Can anyone help me? Thanks.

By Kurz on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 3:15 pm:

Dear Judith, they are in almost every neighborhood! Look for a sign that says そるばん or ask the local KOBAN (police box) for help, or even the local jidoukan/city hall or city hall branch/etc.

It's always useful to try for one close to home first. The next best place is close to your kid's school. But near home is best, if there is a class on the weekend. Close by is always best. Try to get a free trial lesson. Teacher/student compatibility is always THE key to your kid enjoying it enough to want to continue for any length of time.

This is all I could find for Bunkyo-ku:
Abacus School Shinmei
113-0021 Tokyo, Bunkyoku, Honkomagome 4-36-9-203
Tel: 03-3821-7286
Abacus School Matsuzaki
112-0012 Tokyo, Bunkyoku, Otsuka 5-3-1
no phone?

By Mridula on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 10:00 pm:

We are teaching (abacus & vedic maths) in India (Delhi). Any one interested in learning can contact us (9810375836)
My mother give training to students, as well as to me. It is very use full to me.

By Admin on Friday, September 23, 2011 - 5:08 pm:

This site may help you find a abacus (soroban) school in all Japan, but here is the page just for Tokyo:
http://www.soroban.or.jp/school/school_tokyo.html
The Google translate for this page works fairly well.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: