Troubleshooting
Contact Admin

For Admins
Forum Software

Art Classes for Kids and Adults

Japan With Kids - Forums: Education in Japan: Art Classes for Kids and Adults

Please take a look at our sponsor!

By Alessandra Bettari on Saturday, August 26, 2000 - 9:22 am:

I am italian and I have a 2 and a half years old dauther who speaks Japanese and Italian. She is enrolled in a Japanese public kindergarden which she enjoys and I appreciate for the various activities held.
However, I would love during the weekends to be able to attend art workshops together with my dauther. This would be both for enjoying time with her in a new way and for learning something new (both of us).
I live in Omotesando and it would be great if I could find a place I could reach by bycicle (even an half hour run does not scare me).
Does anybody know of art classes in this surroundings?
what kind of art? you would say.
Well, it could be painting, "nendo", weaving (I would love weaving) and playing with textiles, but also music (I would love this too).
Please let me know about the classes you know and I will update you about what i find.

By Cornelia on Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 2:48 pm:

There are two people that I know who give art classes in English:

"Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" and other classes
Watanabe Bldg. 3F, 2-8-8 Azabu Juban, Minato-ku, Tokyo 106-0045
Tel/Fax: (03) 5484-3719
E-mail kristin-newton@gol.com

and:

Bibi. Her email: bibicreatures@yahoo.com

Kristin has written a feature article on what she is doing in Tokyo which is under the Entertainement/Feature articles archive. Bibi recently had a show in Ginza (see the conversation on entertainment, family under general discussions) and teaches an art class at Amici International Preschool school.

If I find out more I'll post it here.

By Maurizio Gomez Rocha on Tuesday, June 24, 2003 - 12:50 am:

I am Mexican and live in Tokyo.
I am teaching drawing and painting to children of 3 to 10 years old in Nerima.

I have worked with children motivating them to develop their artistic skills.
In 1998, organized an event called "The Biggest Mural in The World" which was painted for more than 1800 children, so that a new Record Guinness was broken.
My goal is to plant the seeds of art in childrens mind.
http://www.ulfro.com/maurizio/
maurizio@ulfro.com

By Cornelia on Friday, July 25, 2003 - 12:51 am:

NERIMA WARD
Chiba Art School
http://www.h5.dion.ne.jp/~chibart/

Trial lessons free and can be taken any time all year. Note that Chiba is the last name of the owner, not the location of the school. (Probably also does private lessons, single person or group).

Contact address:
4-24-14-302 Nakamura-kita, Nerima-ku, Tokyo 176-0023
tel/fax: 03-3998-5909
cell: 090-8308-9015
email: a.chiba[at]k3.dion.ne.jp

Conducts classes for both kindergarten and elementary school kids (up to 6th grade) at the following locations. Materials to buy vary slightly for kindergarten kids vs. elementary school kids, but you can buy all materials from the teacher as a set.

Fujimidai Yochien Kindergarten
4-22-3 Fujimidai, Nerima-ku, Tokyo
Tuesdays 16:00-18:00

Sakae Yochien Kindergarten
4-8-13 Takamatsu, Nerima-ku, Tokyo
Thursdays 13:30-18:00

Susumu Yochien Kindergarten
1-23-1 Nishi-oizumi, Nerima-ku, Tokyo
Fridays 14:00-18:00

By Gaijinmom on Tuesday, November 11, 2003 - 3:03 pm:

Does anyone know of any oil painting classes taught in English around central Tokyo (besides the one offered by the Tokyo Union Church)? Alternatively, does anyone know of an oil painting teacher who can speak some English and is willing to come to someone's home to teach a small group of (3 or 4) students?

By Judy on Thursday, November 13, 2003 - 2:19 pm:

hi gaijinmom,

i plan on giving art lessons sometime next spring. (as i'm currently due to deliver in dec). my background includes a major in drawing and painting and experience in teaching art to children. if you're still interested at that time, please don't hesitate to contact me!

By Maurizio Gomez Rocha on Friday, March 5, 2004 - 2:31 pm:

Hello gaijinmom!
I am working as an Art teacher for an International School in Tokyo since 2002 and would love to teach you drawing and painting with model. If you would like to have some private classes please feel free to contact me at anytime!

Looking forward to hearing from you
Sincerely, Maurizio

By Caroline on Saturday, March 6, 2004 - 9:58 am:

Maurizio, I contacted you by e-mail recently regarding art classes for kids. You mentioned the classes at an international school, but you did not say anything about private or small group lessons. Could you post more details? My daughter goes to Japanese yochien, and like Alessandra (above post), I would like her to do creative activities in English (or French or Spanish, our home languages) to enlarge her circle of friends outside the yochien. Thanks!

By Maurizio Gomez Rocha on Saturday, March 6, 2004 - 12:19 pm:

Mrs. Carolina Gutierrez
I surely understand that your daughter is already at yochien. If you are interested in private h lessons I could teach at your home any day of the week except Sun, Mon, and Tuesdays from 9:00 ~ 5:00 p.m.

Lessons are 1 or 2 hours each. The group lessons must be at least of two people. The classes are given in English, Spanish or even Japanese.

Painting medium for children: water color, pastel, crayons and charcoal.

Painting medium for adults: oil, acrylic, charcoal, graphite, modeling paste, pastel, ink, coffee, asphalt etc,.

The rates depends on the number of students, duration of classes and distance. If you need more details please contact me at anytime.
Sincerely, Maurizio

By Caroline on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 2:56 pm:

KICHIJOJI ART CLASS FOR KIDS! Painting and drawing class in English for kids aged 4-6 held on Friday afternoons near Kichijoji Station. After class, we will share snacks and do a storytime. For details contact me by e-mail.

By June Donenfeld on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 2:13 pm:

Art and Music Classes in Yokohama:
Kids' Gallery Japan opened on April 1 with classes in arts and crafts and music in English only by qualified instructors. Cheerful space, fun but professional atmosphere. Classes currently run Tuesday-Sunday, and will eventually serve young people up to 16 years old. Fine arts, clay, paper-mace, printmaking, more. Kindermusik program for newborn-5 years old.
Where: Motomachi Sky Building, 6th Floor, 5-203 Motomachi, Naka-ku, Yokohama 231-0861
Telephone: (045) 680-0506, fax: (045) 680-0507
E-mail: infoHama[at]kidsgallery.com
Train access: 5-10 minute walk from JR Ishikawa-cho station or Tokyu/Minato Mirai line Motomachi-Chukagai station. (35 minutes from Shibuya on the express train).

By Cornelia on Tuesday, December 21, 2004 - 10:19 am:

RBR Center opened it's doors earlier this year, and they offer lots of different art classes, located sort of between Azabu Juban and Hiroo (almost across the street from the Korean Embassy, Tokyo). But it is quite far for my daughter to travel by herself.

So we have designed our own art program sort of. It includes looking at books full of pictures by various masters. Trying to copy them (often there are drawings or simpler sketches that are suitable for this). And there are a lot of resources on the web. For example http://www.artattack.co.uk is the parallel site for a popular TV show that offers a lot of ideas! We are working on a 3-D picture in a shoe box, an idea we got from 'artattack'. (Just what I need, another large useless item cluttering our ever more cramped living space!)

By Admin on Tuesday, February 1, 2005 - 10:03 am:

RBR-kids /BE MY VALENTINE! On Saturday, February 5th!!
http://www.rbr-art.com/sitemap/aboutrbr.html

Celebrate Valentine's Day with a burst of creativity. for young or old, as long as you want to join us in spreading some peace and love throughout the world. There will be 4 stations for children to visit, each one featuring a different art technique - free-hand scissor cutting, painting, calligraphy and beadwork. At the end of the 2-hour session each child will have a beautiful package wrapped in love with a little surprise inside!

Instructors: Teri Suzanne, Joei Lau, Erina Oba, Kara Yamaguchi
Saturday, February 5th
Time: 10:00 AM-12:00 PM or 2:00-4:00 PM
Fee: 5,250 yen/2 hour session/ per student, materials included
Children 4 and under MUST BE accompanied by a parent.
Please call the RBR office in advance to reserve your space. Tel: 03-5475-6171

By Sraboni Dutta on Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 9:11 am:

Hello,

I am looking for an art teacher/school , preferably in Koto Ku for my 5 year old son. I know about RBR kids in Hiroo, but that is far from where I live. Any information, would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Sraboni

By Trupti Gandhi on Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 6:49 pm:

hey sraboni!!

have you moved to koto-ku?? pl. do tel me your contact details.. and what you are looking for... ?? wrote to truptigandhi@yahoo.com

By Hill on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 6:51 pm:

Hi. My kid is 12 and VERY serious about her drawing. She looks up drawing techniques on the internet and is constanly analyzing pictures in magazines. She uploads her drawing onto an artist web page and is doing the illustration sfor a textbook I am writing.

Her present style is derived from manga. She would like to take some lessons to develop her skill further in what she is doing now and also in different directions.
In other words, we are looking for serious, practical art lessons for an older child.

It would be ideal if we could find someone near our area, (we're near Hadano in Kanagawa), but she is willing to travel. Schedule is not a problem as she is homeschooled.

Would anyone be interested in teaching her? It would be nice if there was a class for kids her age, but I'm not that optimistic. Please email us. We will send you the link to her uploaded work!
Thank you!

By Yuko Kubota on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 8:02 pm:

Hi Hill,

I have a family who works in the manga industry, and as far as I know, there aren't any sort of a "real" classes that teach manga in Japan. But I think that's how it should be, because manga and graphic designs are part of the subculture that comes from the people and not from teachers.

So what wanna-be's here do is that they join groups of fellow wanna-be's where they would exchange their artwork and information. There are even famous university manga clubs like those of Waseda and Keio that have traditions of producing popular artists, editors and designers, and younger students would try to enter those universities just to join these clubs. Once you reach 18 or so, you can also try to start working as assistants to real artists, where you will be pretty much forced to work overnight with little or no pay, in return that you can steal the techniques of the artists.

I think what your daughter can do for the moment is to hook up with fellow young artists-to-be, perhaps through magazines or the internet. I suppose she might already have access to those people. Or what many locals do is to just join any kind of art class where they may teach you ordinary things like water-color or oil painting, and there she can brush up her artistic "sense" while she absorbs the manga aspects from her private life. Also, I don't know if members or former members of school manga clubs offer lessons, but some people might be interested in exchanging friendship while inspiring each others' artwork. Why not visit a university or even an elementary or high school near you.

Just a thought from a Japanese resident and mother of a 13 year old. Expats may have different opinions.

By Shibuya on Monday, June 13, 2005 - 3:32 pm:

Puppet-making classes for kids aged 7-12+ in Hiroo, June 16 - 23.
Please see: http://www.genesiscards.com/puppets for details and map. (We took one class, and it was lots of fun)

By Admin on Sunday, July 3, 2005 - 8:28 am:

Hi Hill,
Sorry for taking so long to respond, but I think I heard that there are college level schools for manga illustration. Let me ask around and see if I can pin it down.

By Admin on Friday, August 4, 2006 - 1:41 pm:

TOKYO, Minato-ku: "Summer camp" art courses at RBR
The full description on all summer camps can all be found under the ART CAMP CHECKLIST in Kids Classes on the Course Catalog. The link is: http://www.rbr-art.com/ClassInfo?
cat=3&classTitle=Kids%20Classes
Scroll down!
There are still several courses starting in August including Hula dancing, FUN WITH COLOR (The mystery of color is unraveled in an intensive 3 session workshop starting Aug 10 and Aug 14.), etc.

By Admin on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 3:41 am:

Message from anonymous on 20 Aug 2006:
Raves for http://artpad.art.com/ !!
This kept my daughter (9 years old with previous experience on computer graphics programs) busy for 1.5 hours while I did my email catch-up (high speed connection needed). Click on the "paint your own" key. For fun take a look at the gallery!

By Admin on Monday, April 9, 2007 - 5:10 pm:

Please note that RBR Art Center has moved to a new location near the Chinese Embassy sort of between Roppongi Hills and Azabu Juban.

1-23 Azabu 3-Chome, Minato Ku, Tokyo
new tel: 03-5770-7401
http://www.rbr-art.com/en

By Admin on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 1:27 am:

Sorry, the address posted above for the new RBR Art Center is wrong. (Though it is the address posted at the bottom of the web site! I think it may be fixed soon.)
The move was at the end of December and the beginning of January during the New Year Holidays.

The correct address is:
3-1-23 Moto Azabu, Minato Ku, Tokyo

By Admin on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 11:39 am:

2007 May 9 [from email sent to Admin]
MEET THE INTUITIVE COACH May 22-24 at Design Festa Gallery in Harajuku. Genesis Way author and artist Liane Wakabayashi will present an exhibition of "Lianimals," her highly improbable "beings from the imagination," with daily painting, pastel and collage workshops that inspire creativity in adults and chlldren of all ages. For details see: http://www.genesiscards.com

By Parent109 on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 10:08 pm:

Hello,
I'm looking for Sat or Sun art or music classes in English (in Tokyo) for my daughter who is now 3yrs old.

Have looked around this website and associated links but have not located anything relevant.
I would even consider afternoon classes during the week.

Appreciate any info or leads.

Thanks.

By Priscilla on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 12:47 pm:

Dear Parent 109,

I haven't posted an announcement on JWK in so long because our classes are usually full with waitlists, but I just read your mail as a fellow parent and thought I would reply...

I began a Music Together (from USA) center in Roppongi and Kichijoji in '03 for parents and children ages 0-4 (soon hope to add a Big Kids Class for 5-7 year olds). I am very proud of the professional level of our teachers who have graduate degrees in music education and years' teaching experience. And both as a Music Together parent, and as an "insider", I think the Music Together program is wonderful in every way: socially, developmentally and musically, of course. And its informal teaching approach is relaxed and way fun!

We have classes on Saturdays in Kichijoji and also in the afternoons in Roppongi (all our morning classes are full already for this term). We just began our Spring Term and still have just a few spaces available.
You are welcome to come to a free trial class any time.

Our website is: www.azabumusictogether.com
The national Music Together website is: www.musictogether.com
or you can write to us directly at info@azabumusictogether.com

There is also an art class at RBR that my daughters love, called 'Fun with Color' that is twice a month on Fridays.
RBR has several other art classes on offer as well.
The RBR link is http://www.rbr-art.com/en/ClassInfo?cat=3&classTitle=Kids%20Classes
They are moving end of April, so I am not sure if there will be a break in class schedule as they move to a new location.

I hope you find a class that you and your children love!

With best regards,

Priscilla Carmichael
Director of Azabu Music Together, 9-year TWK enthusiast & mom of two!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: