Edit Profile
Troubleshooting
Contact Admin

For Admins
Forum Software

Dance Classes

Japan With Kids - Forums: Education in Japan: Dance Classes
By F. Tanaka on Friday, April 23, 1999 - 11:25 pm:

Asking for information--if you know some dance classes or some painting classes offered in English for 3 year old, please let me know.

By Natalie on Thursday, May 20, 1999 - 10:35 pm:

TO F. TANAKA re: Dance Classes;
I tried to access your e-mail address directly, but it didn't work.
You were asking about dance classes for a 3 year old. I was looking for a class for my 3 yr old son, and I found some info from Tokyo Classified. There is a woman who dances with the Israeli Nat'l Ballet Co and she has been teaching for 11 yrs at the Tokyo American Club (but there is a waiting list), and also at various international schools (your child does not have to be a student there). She teaches near Harajuku as well as in Yokohama (YIS). To obtain further info call (042) 386-7576 (I'm not sure but this may be a fax number only). Hope this helps :)

By A.K. on Monday, October 30, 2000 - 4:49 pm:

K.I.D.S. Ballet 03-5976-8990 (TOKYO)
Keiko (speaks English) is the teacher at the Tokyo American Club and at the American Embassy Housing Compound

Starting at age 2.5
Non-embassy staff and non-American club members OK.

By Cornelia on Wednesday, February 28, 2001 - 7:03 am:

The Tokyo Indonesian School in Meguro welcomes some non-enrolled children in their extra-curricular traditional Indonesian Dance club (as well as other extra-curriculars such as playing gamelan, and so on). The language of choice is Indonesian, but these kids are international and many speak Japanese and English also. Indonesians love children, and with a little linquistic patience this could be a really exciting hobby for your child. To find out more, check out the listing for the Tokyo Indonesian School on the International Schools list.

http://www.tokyowithkids.com/fyi/international_schools.html

By SKI on Wednesday, April 11, 2001 - 11:02 am:

S.K.I.
Tokyo School
tel: 03-5773-4598 and (03)5443-5649 fax:(03)5443-0280

Nagoya School
Twel: (052)971-0711 Fax:(052)973-1840

There are English, Acting, Singing/Dancing, Gymnastics and TaeKwonDo classes. It's orgarnized by Sho Kosugi, Hollywood Ninja-movie star.

URL below is written in Japanese but classes are in English only.
http://www.pacific-s.co.jp/Ski/pages/information.html
email: skingya@tcp-ip.or.jp

By Adarah on Thursday, October 25, 2001 - 10:24 am:

Bellydance!
Hi everyone! I teach bellydance classes in NakaMeguro and Setagaya if anyone is interested. Great for the body and mind!
There is something for everyone in bellydance! Teenagers are welcome, mothers who want a relaxing and exotic break, and all those other fine ladies looking for some fun exercise! Though bellydance can be a fun thing for children, I am not teaching children at the time.
For further information, you can visit www.adarah.iwarp.com or contact me personally (adarahtokyo@aol.com)
All the best and happy shimmies!
~Adarah

By Cheryl on Friday, October 26, 2001 - 8:28 am:

Regarding bellydance!
Did you know that originally and still today, this dance is used as a birthing aide?!
Great for pregnant moms too!

By Tracy Okuma on Friday, February 1, 2002 - 10:18 am:

Am looking for a fun ballet class, music rythmn, dance class either in English or Japanese for my 3 year old. West Tokyo preferred but anything considered.
Cheers, Tracy

By Chieko Nishimura on Tuesday, April 16, 2002 - 10:56 am:

Hi everyone.
I was looking for a classic ballet class for my daughter and found out one in Hiroo. MG International Arts of Ballet offers ballet claases to kids over 3 yrs old and a teacher Mariko Goto speaks English,too. For more info:
http://www.mg-ballet.org/english/home.html

By Cornelia on Tuesday, November 26, 2002 - 11:31 am:

Belly Dancing Lessons

I've been cleaning up my notes and found this:

2 July 2002 -- Laila Kholoussi lailac [at] k8.dion.ne.jp
Teaches at her home in Yoyogi, Tokyo. She also teaches basic yoga.

By Amy Uehara on Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 10:21 am:

http://www.internationaldance.com/map.html
Hello,
Here is the address for the homepage of the International Dance School in Hiroo and various other locations.
They have classes from preschoolers on up. They use the Royal Academy of Dance and the Vaganova methods.
Little ones often start off with the RAD program and move over to the Vaganova program as later on.
Teachers from abroad teach the classes and participate in the annual programs as well as teach special seminars during vacations. Opportunities also exist to study abroad.
The homepage is mostly in Japanese but pretty easy to navigate with pictures. Ms. Ogushi, the owner, speaks French and English.

My daughter has attended for 5 years or so and likes both systems. I learned that dance is a very good thing for small children to do to learn about self expression..........boys, too, are welcomed.

Good luck.
Amy

By Eynat Molenaar on Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 2:55 pm:

Fun Kids Dance & Ballet: Boys and Girls 3 Years Old and Up

Watch your child's self expression, grace and poise come to life!
Inspired by imagination and creativity this unique ballet class will unleash the child's self-expression, develop and improve agility, coordination and musicality The teacher is taking the kids step by step in a joyous ballet journey with mother goose, faries, butterflies as the elementary ballet basics are taught. Different props such as scarves/tambourines, and various styles of music are used.
Ms. Eynat of the national ballet of Israel, and R.A.D certified has been teaching in Japan for over 12 years in Tokyo at the American club on Thursdays, and at several central Tokyo locations as well as the American School in Japan and other locations

Call for more information 042-383-5370 !

By Admin on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 12:08 am:

More on belly-dancing:

Japan Arabian Dance Association (JADA)
1-11-6 Nishiazabu Minato-Ku, Tokyo, Japan 106
phone: 03-5410-2365
JADA aims to fully deepen understanding of Oriental Dance and Arts in Japan through publishing, doing workshops, inviting professional teachers & dancers, and holding Oriental Dance festivals and contests.

Inako in Japan
tel: 03-3636-7888 "Stunning dancer!" --Mona N'wal

By Dalina Sharif on Monday, February 17, 2003 - 6:23 pm:

Salsa: Hi, Does anyone know where I can take salsa dancing lesson in Kichijoji? Thanks.

By Dalina Sharif on Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 1:25 pm:

Salsa in Kichijoji: Found a dance school that offers modern latin, salsa, tango, american swing and more in Kichijouji. New enrollment start from 1 March - 31 May.
Musashino-shi, Kichijouji Minamimachi 1-1-10 MA Building 6th Floor. Same building with Kid's World.

By Cornelia on Thursday, June 19, 2003 - 2:17 pm:

Ballroom Dancing - TOKYO:
Sugamo station (JR Yamanote line)
Beginners: Blues, Jitterbug, etc.
Advanced: Waltz, Tango, Rhumba, etc.
Togagi Building
1-20-10-3F Sugamo, Toshima-ku, Tel: 03-03-5978-6485
A couple of times a year they have free trial lessons (1.5 hour sessions).
Children? Not clear from flyer.

By Cornelia on Tuesday, November 11, 2003 - 1:25 pm:

List of the Indonesian (and Balinese) Dance Groups in Kanto

1. Duta Kencana, Tel: 042-388-2526, Fax: 042-388-2548
2. Rineka Budaya Tel/fax: 03-5460-0675
3. Bali Pusaka Tel/fax: 03-3397-8087
4. Studio Carol Tel/fax: 03-3709-0288
5. Intercultural Networks Japan (INJ), Shimbashi, Tokyo, Tel: 03-3438-4711, Fax: 03-3438-4788, www.netlaputa.ne.jp/~inj/, email: info[at]injcc.com
6. Wyaru Guta Sanggar Tari Bali Tel/fax: 045-423-9871
7. Saraswati Tel/fax: 047-378-5247, E-mail: saraswati_bali[at]hotmail.com
8. Oto Koba Haneda Tel/fax: 03-3745-6460
9. Kawamura Retno Tel/fax: 03-5569-5288, Email: hashibuan[at]ybb.ne.jp
10. Office Tirta Tel: 03-5603-7858, Fax: 03-5603-7857, Email: info[at]beravo.com
11. Jukung Music Tel: 070-6665-0998, Fax: 03-3383-9116, Email: koyano[at]bali.ne.jp

source: Indonesian Embassy, Tokyo

By eme on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 2:09 pm:

Have Fun & Dance.
Ballet and Creative dance for boys and girls in central locations in Tokyo.
Inspiring your child's creativity and imagination, developing agility & coordination. Come have fun, skip n' fly like a butterfly. from 3 yrs. old.
Call 042-383-5370 or email: swirl@mastermindkk.com

By Cornelia on Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 10:48 pm:

To: ckurz[at]tokyowithkids.com
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005

There is a free Japanese dance Class for kids. The teacher my friend is a nice woman. Look at here!
http://www.wa-method.org/news.htm
Yukie

By Wendy Chan on Thursday, April 13, 2006 - 10:49 pm:

Hi, my family is moving to Tokyo by end April. My girl who is 4 years old now started practising ballet since last September. She really likes it and I don't want her to lose this hobby. Is there any English speaking ballet class for kids at her age in Roppongi, Hiroo, Azabu area?

By Amira on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 12:18 am:

hi everyone,
we'v moved here 4 months ago and i wanted to know of any ballet classes in hiroo for my 3 year old daughter! we already went to one in hiroo the international ballet and arts. but the lady there was being very racist! so that is totaly ruled out!!

By Amira on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 12:35 am:

the name of the dancing school was MG international arts of ballet! the lady ther kept on saying were only taking Japanese students.my daughter goes to a japanese school and understands japanese. we told the lady that but then she had another excuse, she was saying no one of the parents has to be japanese. me and my husnad looked at each other.then she said or some one's recomindation, we said we had that!!
if she didn't want to take us she should have only said we don have any space!

ther website it's written open to all and all ages! and on top of that they have written international why not write japanese! please if anyones kids is enrolled in the ballet school please let me know cuz im going to give them a peace of my mind!bein an expak and treated in that way!

By Amy on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 6:25 am:

Please check out this school.
My daughter went there from 5-10 and enjoyed it.
Got to be too difficult to attend later.
The website is not in English, but they have kids from all ethnic groups.
Very good for early learners and the teachers come from overseas, especially Russia and England,
with connections to attend dance schools abroad.

http://www.internationaldance.com/index.html

Amy

By Amira on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 11:32 am:

thanks amy! im goin to day and will definately enroll her in a ballet school. will definatly check out internationaldance school also!

with best regards and happy holidays
amira

By Admin on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 8:35 am:

The web site for the school that did not accept a foreign student in spite of being qualified is:
http://www.mg-ballet.org/english/home.html

Looking at the web site it seems that they wish to encourage the attendance of foreigners because they even tout the availability of English speaking instructors.

I think from this one can assume that language was not the issue behind rejection of this child.

2008 Feb 20: I just took another look at the site, and they have removed the English portions, though they still have various photos of non-Japanese (blond little girls, etc.) on the site.

By Sandy on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 7:36 am:

For the avid belly-dancers out there, here is a place to order custom fit outfits in Istanbul:

www.istanbulbelly5.com/
email: info [at] istanbulbelly5.com (Turkish, English)

The prices range from economic 70 Euro, 75 Euro, up to professional 250 Euro (lots more beadwork and richer materials), plus shipping. All costumes can be done in a range of colors. There are more models not pictured, so sending an email is important. The site is not so great, though it does give you an idea. You can try sending a color swatch if you want to, but keep in mind that photos/digital images do not always get the color right, or that the shade can show up differently on different computers.

Also, it is always better to get someone else to take your measurements. When you try to do it yourself they are usually distorted.

By Qoolilg on Friday, August 23, 2013 - 12:59 pm:

check this out T.N.G Academy form Canada. They have showcase for their students in the end of every term.... pretty cool

www.tng-academy.com

By Qoolilg on Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 11:00 am:

free dance online teaching. you can practice with your kid at home.

https://www.youtube.com/user/tngacademy

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: