Troubleshooting
Contact Admin

For Admins
Forum Software

Basketball for kids

Japan With Kids - Forums: Education in Japan: Basketball for kids
Related link: Mini Basketball Network for Kids
By tokyokat on Tuesday, April 17, 2001 - 5:10 pm:

Does anyone know if there are any basketball leagues or teams for children? We have a 6 year old basketball fanatic who is looking to join a team. We live in Nerima ward but are willing to travel to keep him happy.

Thanks for any words of advice.

By jinhee on Tuesday, April 17, 2001 - 9:07 pm:

The Tokyo American Club has a fall basketball league for boys and girls from 1st grade and above. Members get priority signup but if spaces permit, nonmember children can join in...I believe. Give them a call to check out detail.

By Caterina Yajima on Friday, June 27, 2003 - 8:14 pm:

Hello, my name is Caterina and I'm looking for a basketball team for my son who is 8 year old and likes very much this sport.
Could someone please give me informations?

By Cornelia on Saturday, June 28, 2003 - 4:35 pm:

There are basketball teams playing in most ward sports centers. So the best place to start would be with your local ward/ city/ town hall information center. I live in Bunkyo-ku, and there are clearly marked basketball courts on the large multi-purpose indoor gym floor at the Bunkyo-ku Sports Center just up the street from me. And I have seen kids playing basketball there. It is very organized of course (no such thing as public park pick-up games downtown here like in the USA as far as I can see).

By Cornelia on Friday, February 17, 2006 - 12:18 pm:

Finally I have something concrete to add to this topic. My daughter has started basketball after school with a local basketball club at Asahi Elementary School (between Sugamo and Nishi-sugamo stations on the Mita subway line). Because her school has a minimal sports program, we are on the lookout for other options all the time. The cost is about Y5000 every three months plus Y500 sports insurance fee for one year. The practices are Wednesdays 19:00 - 21:00, Saturdays and Sundays 9:00 - 12:00. The weekend days suffer cancellations when the school needs their gym for other purposes. The club is entirely run by the parents as far as I can tell. Sometimes there are competitions with other clubs and the kids have to travel to another school somewhere. These competitions are during the same times as regular weekend practice times, but may run until 13:00. We were introduced to the club by a classmate of my daughter's. Actually my daughter did all the "research", figured out where it takes place and then told me to take her there on a Wednesday. The classmate was the lead-in, but my daughter pushed it through. So far she's been playing there since the start of February and she has been welcomed. But in this case I venture to say that her Japanese ability has made it easier. The parents I've met so far are a bit worried about trying to communicate with me. Kato-san, who owns and operates a Japanese sweets shop on Azuma street in Ikebukuro, seems to be the head of the club.

I'd say the age groups represented are about 7 or 8 through about 14. But I'm guessing. AND most importantly they seem to be pretty relaxed about attendance. My daughter already has something on Saturday mornings, and it's OK for her to only come on Wednesdays and Sundays.

P.S. The basketball club slightly north of Sugamo (closest subway station is Nishi Sugamo on Mita line) is called Kurabu Huskers. I'm the American mom there and happy to help English, Spanish and German speakers interested in joining. There is also a Mom from Austria (German, English and Japanese) who comes near the end of the practices sometimes.

By tokyomama2three on Thursday, April 13, 2006 - 9:35 am:

I was wondering if anyone has a lead on a baseball league that doesn't play or practice on Sundays. We live in Machida (Odakyu sen and JR Yokohama sen) but would be willing to travel. My son is 5yrs. old and we are coming up with nothing around us. So I thought I'd begin searching now for the next season. Many thanks...

By Cornelia on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 9:10 am:

Hi, Club Huskers could use a few more girls! The club has about 21 boys (2nd - 6th grades) and 7 girls (1st - 6th grade). The largest age group within the club is 4th grade (9 years old). The coaching is very good (IMHO). My daughter's overall improvement in speed, coordination, loss of fear (of the ball and of bruising), since she started about 5 months ago is great! Unfortunately we are leaving for the summer, which leaves 6 girls.

Are there any girls who want to join up now? I can try to get you introduced before we leave on Monday. The most convenient access by train is via the Toden Arakawa tram line or the Mita subway line (Nishi Sugamo). But there is also easy access by bicycle from Komagome, Sugamo, Otsuka, Oji areas.

So far my daughter has participated in two rounds of games with another club and there is another "shiai" this weekend. She loves it (though of course there is the usual song of complaints: "No one ever passes me the ball. I jambed my finger. So-and-so tripped me... it was on purpose, Mom.")

Though my Japanese is horrendous, everyone has been really patient with me. "Toban" is only about once every 6 weeks. We are very happy we found this club!

By Admin on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 1:38 pm:

New page at JWK on the subject of Basketball for Kids:
www.tokyowithkids.com/entertainment/sports/basketballmini.html
Describes the Mini Basketball network (smaller courts and lower baskets).

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: