Help
Getting Started
Register Here
Edit Profile
Troubleshooting
Contact Admin

For Admins
Forum Software

Experiences with supplemental instruction?

Japan With Kids - Forums: Education in Japan: Japanese Public/Private School System: Japanese Elementary School: Experiences with supplemental instruction?
By Susan on Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 3:32 pm:

I have a daughter, age 7, who has been attending Japanese elementary school since September.
We are in Kyoto and she is the only non-Japanese speaking foreigner there. Yesterday, at the parent-teacher conference, the teacher mentioned that if I wanted supplemental instruction was possible. Apparently this could be anything from having an interpreter next to her all day to pulling her out of class for for an hour a couple of times a week. The teacher seemed non-committal about whether this was necessary or not and left it up to me. My daughter, on the other hand, was mortified at the idea of being single out in any way. So I was wondering what kind of experiences others have had. My daughter is now attending a kumon class twice a week for kokugo and that seems to be a big help, at least for reading and writing.

By MK on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 12:53 pm:

Hi

I am Japanese and I studied in a french elementary school. My parents both Japanese do not speak french at all so they could not help me with all my home works. I had private lessons twice a week just like your daughter.
When I graduated my elementary school, I already spoke fluently french and my exam marks were higher than all my friends'.

So I think if your daughter is already going to Kumon twice a week, that's enough for now. What you can also work on is (this is what my parents did with me) to let her read lots of story books (of her level) and let her play with Japanese friends as often as possible.

Don't worry. After all, she is only 7. Good luck.

By Admin on Tuesday, February 25, 2003 - 6:38 pm:

There are two references to supplemental instruction provided by the elementary school for a Japanese as a Second Language student at: http://www.tokyowithkids.com/discussions/messages/151/41.html

They start as:
By Lynda Watson on Sunday, August 15, 1999
By Warren B. Roby on Tuesday, January 11, 2000

I also heard something from another mother as well, where she didn't think the supplemental instruction was useful because the teacher was incompetent (for teaching a foreigner). But it was very difficult to extract her son from the arrangement. (This was out in Adachi-ku, Tokyo) So I imagine that experience with it varies.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: