Edit Profile
Troubleshooting
Contact Admin

For Admins
Forum Software

Piano

Japan With Kids - Forums: Education in Japan: Music: Piano
By Noli Bravo on Friday, December 29, 2000 - 4:09 pm:

Aloha! I am a Computer Music Composition and Pop Music Voice Tutor from Hawaii. At this moment, I'm teaching Voice and Popular Style Piano in Aobadai area in Yokohama. I'm seeking new students as well as possible partners who may foster the kind of things I do. Ideally, I need a facility to conduct my Computer Music sessions on a long-term basis. If you or anyone you think who may benefit with my approach, please visit my homepage to learn more about myself and the ANGAR program: http://www.nolibravo.com

By Admin on Thursday, January 10, 2002 - 8:04 am:

"A Japanese woman, experienced piano teacher, fluent in English would like to teach piano at student's homes. Call: 3794-7262 " I spoke to her and her English is indeed good. Her name is Ms. Takaki and she lives in Meguro ward. This teacher would only work if you have a piano in your home though.

By Elizabeth on Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 10:43 am:

Hi - I currently attend a conservatory of music in the U.S., and I will be moving to Japan this summer. Where can I find a very good piano teacher who speaks English? Thanks.

By Yumiko Ono on Tuesday, March 4, 2003 - 12:41 am:

ENGLISH SPEAKING PIANO TEACHER! Welcoming New Students in the Studio. Sign up NOW!

I speak Native English, and Japanese. Alumni of ASIJ(American School in Japan), and Graduate of Peabody Conservatory of Music at Johns Hopkins University.

All ages, levels. Affordable Lessons. Home Lessons also possible. Live on Yokohama Line: Fuchinobe Station.

Call: 042-750-4044, 090-9802-0816, yumikoono@hotmail.com

Elizabeth !
I can teach students in Tokyo, Kanagawa Ward. I am experienced teaching expat. kids and students/embassy community. Where will you be living in japan? Which highschool will you be going to?
Hope to hear from you, Yumi
phone# country code (81)427-50-4044, cell phone (81)90-9802-0816
yumikoono@hotmail.com

By Andrew Tweed on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 6:54 pm:

Is anyone interested in Piano lessons taught in English? I have a BA in music and have taught privately and in public schools in the U.S. I can teach in your home in the following areas:
Shinjuku, Yoyogi, Takdanobaba, Ikebukuro, Saitama City.

You can email me at japando@ezweb.ne.jp or at backup email address: andrewjapandrew@hotmail.com Thanks, Andrew

By Caterina Yajima on Thursday, April 8, 2004 - 10:31 pm:

Hello,
my name is Karena and I'm looking for a piano teacher who could give lessons to my 9yrs old child. We live in Aobadai, Yokohama.
Please contact me at:
1i9t6a4l4i1a8@ezweb.ne.jp

By Linda Gondo on Thursday, September 30, 2004 - 11:50 am:

If anyone could help me with the following queries regarding the Suzuki method here in Japan, I would be most grateful.
What have been people's experiences with going to Suzuki piano/violin camps in Japan? Where are the camps usually held and are they usually overnight? Also, can anyone belong to the Suzuki Association and join in the concerts or does one have to have lessons with a registered Suzuki teacher? Do teachers only allow students to play just the Suzuki repertoire, ie book one, book two, etc, or are they allowed to play other pieces also, or does this depend upon the teacher? Just one more question: at which stage do students "cross over" and start reading the notes for each piece?

Kind regards,

Linda

By Linda Gondo on Sunday, October 31, 2004 - 7:22 am:

Regarding my previous queries about the Suzuki method, the Suzuki Institute very kindly sent me this email which I thought might be of interest to others:

Please allow me to introduce myself. I am Osamu Fujita of Talent Education Research Institute (Suzuki Method) Tokyo office. As one of our violin teachers forwarded your inquiry on Suzuki piano/violin camps in Japan to us, I am pleased to reply to it. However, I am replying by e-mail because I have not registered myself to post my message onto message board.

* What have been people's experiences with going to Suzuki piano/violin camps in Japan?

In our Summer camp, students can have a lesson of teachers whose character is different from his/her original teacher. Normally, one teacher will take care of same students until they finish all of the programs in our regular lesson if any unavoidable matter occurs like relocation to a different town. Secondly, our students can participate in a group lesson in the camp. A group lesson will be planned only once a month for some of them even though many students demand it. Others in a small schools don't have a group lesson at all. Finally, what our students can obtain is a chance to get together with other students who come from all over Japan. They will build long lasting friendship and have an unforgettable experience.

* A Where are the camps usually held and are they usually overnight?

Our summer camp will be held at public facilities in Matsumoto, Nagano near our head quarter are for the camp. Lessons will start around 9:00 in the morning and finish in the evening. Special concerts will be held at night.

* Can anyone belong to the Suzuki Association and join in the concerts or does one have to have lessons with a registered Suzuki teacher?

We accept anyone at our association only if he/she loves music. The participants of our concerts are required to be our member and have lessons with our Suzuki teacher.

* Do teachers only allow students to play just the Suzuki repertoire, ie book one, book two, etc, or are they allowed to play other pieces also, or does this depend upon the teacher?

We mostly practice and play music only from our notes, but some teachers will pick up some music from others.

* At which stage do students "cross over" and start reading the notes for each piece?

Generally, our schools have three times of a private lesson and once of a group lesson every month. Many classes will hold concert a couple of times a year. Some classes will have joint concert with other classes nearby.

A lesson for reading notes normally starts with book 3 or 4 out of 10 for the violin and 7 for the piano, which means students will memorize notes by music. However, it depends on a teacher's instruction: some teachers teach how to read notes from the beginning.

We hope that the above information is answering to your inquiry to have better understanding on our activities in Japan. I am sorry for the delay in replying to you. Should you have further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,
Osamu Fujita
Talent Education Research Institute
Suzuki Method Tokyo Office
TEL: 03-3295-0270, FAX: 03-3295-1448
http://www.suzukimethod.or.jp
mailto:ofujita[at]suzukimethod.or.jp

By Marilyn M. on Monday, November 8, 2004 - 2:50 pm:

hi,

i have a 5 yr old who plays the piano extremely well for his age, i think. although he doesn't read the notes very well, but he plays some classical music beautifully.
i am looking for a certified teacher who can give him private lessons.

By Tokyomum on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 4:51 pm:

Hi,
My son 4 year old son is musically gifted and i am looking for a music teacher for him.
Would prefer if someone could visit my home to teach him piano and/or keyboard. If interested, please send me email.
Thanks,

By yuriko takeuchi on Thursday, September 8, 2005 - 12:03 am:

piano lessons !!
I am Japanese piano teacher who can come to your house for lesson.
If you are Shirokane, Azabu, Hiroo, please contact me.
If you are Chuo-line, please come to my house .
This is my H.P
http://jns.ixla.jp/users/takeyuri073/index.html

By Linda Gondo on Saturday, March 18, 2006 - 10:29 pm:

I am currently teaching my 5 year old daughter the piano and would like to take her to some concerts where she can be inspired by older children playing more advanced pieces, and where she could perhaps play also. Because we are not affiliated with a particular teacher or studio I was wondering if anyone can recommend some eisteddfords or concerts that might be worthwhile. Non competitive would be wonderful, but competitive is better than nothing. Maybe someone's teacher would allow us to join in the occasional concert if we were prepared to pay a fee?

By Caroline on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 12:15 pm:

Looking for a piano teacher who could teach in Spanish or French, preferably in the Musashino-shi area where we live. Our 2 kids are aged 7 and 4 and have not learned any music so far. Contact me by e-mail please.

By Kurz on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 9:32 pm:

Tokyo: Mr. Yuko Araya M.M. at Araya Piano Studio
http://www.arayapianostudio.com
Teaches in English and in Japanese 5 min. walk from Kyodo station on Odakyu line in Setagaya-ku.
Also will travel to student's home if withing one hour. All levels. MM in Piano Performance from U of North Texas, studied at St. Petersburg Conservatory, Russia, BA from Kunitachi College of Music.

By Caroline on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 10:03 pm:

Thought I should share this. I was looking for a piano teacher in my neighborhood and came across this website: www.piano.or.jp They have a search engine to locate a teacher in any given area. This is the link for Tokyo and surroundings: http://www2.piano.or.jp/fmi/xsl/teacher/area/01tokyo.xsl?
-db=teacher_teachers&-lay=web&-view

Once you launch the search you will get a list a teachers in the designated area and some details about each. Some have websites, others don't. I used the online form to request info about one of the teachers I thought lived close by, thinking I was contacting the teacher directly. Actually, when using the form you contact the organization itself. So this lady from PTNA called me an told me she knew of a teacher who lived even closer to my house (walking distance, my dream!!). She made the contact with the teacher, all I had to do was call for a trial lesson. It turns out the teacher she recommended is TERRIFIC. Perhaps this link could serve others!

By Kurz on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 9:41 am:

Dear Caroline,
Were you able to find a teacher teaching in Spanish or French also? I'm guessing that the convenience of having a teacher close by outweighs the language wish, but just in case... I am very curious if this organization could also suggest teachers in other languages. My daughter is taking her piano lessons in Japanese. It's definitely simpler to find someone close by (and cheaper) that way! I'm paying Y6000 per month for about 4 half hour lessons a month, sometimes only three, but once in a while 5. She also very graciously does not ask us to pay anything for the two months that we are out of country every year. Usually we have to pay something when we are gone, though not the whole fee.

Also, she often goes over the half hour mark. They used to continue for 50 minutes (!) but now she scheduled another student after my daughter, so that isn't possible anymore. I think they both get carried away! It's a real pleasure seeing a teacher and a student enjoy what they are doing together so much.

By Caroline on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 5:05 pm:

Yes Cornelia, I think I was dreaming thinking I could get a teacher speaking French or Spanish, let alone in my area. So I opted for proximity, which ALWAYS works best for me! When speaking or writing to the PTNA people, I suppose one could mention language preferences. Incidentally, one of the websites I saw of a teacher living close to Musashisakai station was in Japanese as well as English. So some of the teachers registered with that organization may speak another language besides Japanese.

I will post later about rates for lessons because they seem to vary with age. Duration of lessons also vary: for now, my daughter is starting with 1/2 hour lessons, but I think once the kids get to a certain level, the class extends to 45 min. or more. So price may vary also.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: