Edit Profile
Troubleshooting
Contact Admin

For Admins
Forum Software

Regulations for Opening a School

Japan With Kids - Forums: Education in Japan: Regulations for Opening a School
By Nick Bikkal on Saturday, July 12, 2003 - 2:16 pm:

Does anyone know the government regulations for opening a (foreign) school in Japan?

By Sandy Cox on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 11:02 pm:

There is a somewhat related conversation at:
Tokyo With Kids - Forums: Day Care in Japan: Laws concerning the establishement of a daycare/playgroup

Foreign schools (and after school cram schools) are largely run like private companies. They do not get "non-profit" status or "tax-exempt" status and they do not get any tax support from the government. (see Tokyo With Kids - Forums: Education in Japan: Tax in international school) It doesn't seem to matter if they are church affiliated. The oldest schools here seem to have some advantages, in particular the American School in Japan. (One requirement is that they have to own their land to get a certain status.) But all the newer schools do not, at least not yet.

Even the transportation pass discount for school children is not issued by the train/bus companies to kids in private schools! Though a few manage to slip through...

A few schools that are opening or have recently opened are:
New International School (Ikebukuro, Steve Parr)
Montessori School of Japan (by the owners of Sunshine Montessori School, Pete Juds)
Joy to the World (Myogadani, Jerry Hanus)
Horizon (Yokohama)
and others.

You might try asking them if they can suggest someone as a consultant.

By Heather Seyl Miyashita on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 11:17 pm:

I also am very interested in this as I am opening a preschool in the Totsuka area in April of next year and will be posting the web site here soon. I would be grateful to any (esp those running their own school now) that have information about this.
Heather

By Sandy Cox on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 1:05 pm:

Opening an NGO (non-government organization), possibly informative URL:
Japan NGO Center for International Cooperation(JANIC)
http://www.janic.org/en/en-index.html
The site says the phone number is 03-3294-5370

I don't think this would necessarily apply to a school, but it might be worth understanding better?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: