Getting Started
Register Here
Edit Profile
Troubleshooting
Contact Admin

For Admins
Forum Software

Sugimani Ward Public Elementary School

Japan With Kids - Forums: Education in Japan: Sugimani Ward Public Elementary School
By Allysmama on Tuesday, October 9, 2007 - 11:42 am:

Apologies in advance if this is already posted -- I thought I posted the first time but cannot find the thread so this is my second attempt.

Hi there

I heard from a Japanese friend of mine that Suginami Ward has a very good educational system. I am wondering if there are any foreign families who send their kids to any public elementary schools in Suginami Ward. I would consider sending my mixed kids to a school in this ward but I want to make sure there are other foreign kids attending so my kids won't be the only foreign kids.

Can anyone recommend a school within this ward? I tried calling the ward office and they won't openly share this type of information with me -- I just get the general, "Yes, there are foreigners in all the schools" but nothing more specific than that.

If there are specific schools where there are many westerners attending I would really appreciate the name of the elementary. Many thanks in advance for your help!

By Star on Tuesday, October 9, 2007 - 6:07 pm:

Please check this Excel sheet. Under 226. (66kb file). This page is in Japanese, but if you open the excel file it has English translation too.

This is just numbers. So I know that is not what you wanted. but just for your information.

I am a mother of 4 years old kid living in Suginami-ward and I was brought of in this ward too. If you have questions. let me know.

By Allysmama on Tuesday, October 9, 2007 - 8:15 pm:

Hi, Star

Thanks for responding.

I cannot locate the Excel file -- could you let me know where it is?

Do you know which elementary in Suginami Ward has many foreign (Western) children? I checked the Suginami ward site and it said that Dai 4 Shogakkou has a JSL program so I assumed this particular school has many foreign children attending, but the woman I spoke to at the ward office would not attest to this. I don't know any parents who have kids attending Suginami ward schools so it's hard to tell which schools are more "friendly" towards foreign kids.

My Japanese friend who lives near me said that the Suginami schools are like the "model" schools in Tokyo since they implement a lot of new concepts. This tends to attract many good, qualified teachers so she said this ward is highly recommended in terms of education. Though this information is good, I just want to have a better understanding of what the student population is like at each school.

In any case if you could let me know whereabouts to find that Excel file I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

By Bunny on Tuesday, October 9, 2007 - 8:57 pm:

There are times when I wished I lived a few hundred metres to the left, in Suginami. They do indeed have a reputation for being better. Just talk to mums in yochien ...

It is worth pointing out that the only reason that foreign kids should be expecting special treatment is if they havent been in the system before and don't "do" Japanese. I sincerely doubt mine show up on the nakano list as "foreign" despite the fact they speak English.

The other way is entirely possible too, they might count ethnic koreans born in Japan as "foreign" just to make the figures look better.

Maybe this will help:

http://www2.city.suginami.tokyo.jp/life/pdf/3-6.pdf

By Star on Tuesday, October 9, 2007 - 10:33 pm:

ahhh sorry!
I missed the most important thing!
http://www.toukei.metro.tokyo.jp/tnenkan/2005/tn05qyti0520g.htm
This is the excel file I was talking about.

and some other information below
http://www.mext.go.jp/b_menu/houdou/19/08/07062955/001.htm

and this is public inter-cultural communication club of Suginami. Maybe you can ask them by phone 03-5378-8833 or at weekly meeting (Mon 1:30PM-)

By Allysmama on Tuesday, October 9, 2007 - 10:41 pm:

Hi, Bunny

Thanks for resonding.

I checked out that link earlier and that's where I found the JSL program at Dai 4 Elementary...

I guess I should point out that both my kids understand/speak Japanese fine. I am more concerned about ijime and my kids being the odd ball out at any Japanese public school since they don't look Japanese.

I've been seriously considering Kougai in Mintao Ward because there are many non-Asian looking kids attending this particular school. I am wondering if there is a school like this in Suginami Ward. I know there is always the international school option but we won't be able to foot the kids' college bill if we take this route. :o)

Is there such a school in Nakano?

We are currently living in Kokubunji since I had my heart set on sending them to a Japanese private school here, but am having a bit of doubt since there aren't many western kids attending this school. If my kid doesn't get accepted here, we are definitely moving since there is no way I would send them to any public school in this area, so that's why I'm asking. Just trying to keep my options open.

Appreciate any feedback!

By Allysmama on Tuesday, October 9, 2007 - 11:17 pm:

Many thanks for the links, Star!

I will definitely call the Suginami Inter-cultural Communication Club tomorrow and try and get more info.

I really appreciate the help!

By Star on Tuesday, October 9, 2007 - 11:30 pm:

Hi! Allysmama,

Am I sooooo careless!
I forgot to type this again!
http://www006.upp.so-net.ne.jp/suginami/
Suginami Association for Cultural Exchange

If you are planning to visiting them, Let me know,
I am interested too. Because I have a mixed girl too. and planning to send her to public elementary school in 3 years.

I hope you can find info you need!
Good luck!

By Allysmama on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 12:58 am:

Thanks for the link, Star.

I am going to call them first to see if I can get information over the phone. I will post my findings here so you and others will have the information.

If I end up going there I will let you know.

Stay tuned!

By Bunny on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 12:05 pm:

Regarding ijime, yes, you see the extreme examples in the news, strangely it seems to occur more in Western Japan than Tokyo, perhaps they filter the news in Tokyo like their filter the history texts.

I am reminded of the song about a boy called Sue.

There are no "international friendly" schools that I know of in Nakano. Hosen has a few half-children in the Yochien, but heaven help you if your child has a food allergy and you try to get into the Shogakko.

They also went all precocious about the Shogakko recently, IQ tests [don't ask] must score over 110 and stuff. (Fortunately, the freaky stalker mum's kid goes there and mine now goes to a school next door.)

Perhaps this school is nearer you:

http://www.columbia-ca.co.jp/

By Allysmama on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 1:15 pm:

Thanks for the info, Bunny.

Unfortunately international school is out since the fees are too high. Even for some of the private J schools fees are too high (ICU, Keimei). Well, we can afford it, but we wouldn't have anything left to send them to college and we would rather pay for college.

I called the Suginami Association for Cultural Exchange and explained the situation and they asked me to call the Ward office directly for this kind of information. So basically I am back to where I started.

Hoping someone on here knows a perceptive parent in Suginami ward who can give me the run-down on foreign friendly schools there -- that is if such a thing exists.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: