Troubleshooting
Contact Admin

For Admins
Forum Software

Saitama, Wakoshi

Japan With Kids - Forums: Day Care in Japan: Saitama, Wakoshi
By Dipti Chaturvedi on Thursday, April 1, 2004 - 12:47 pm:

Hi,
I am an Indian, we speak English at home. I have a 16 month old daughter. I work as an English teacher, working time from 2pm to 7pm in the evening. For the last month i had kept my daughter at a private daycare. The problem was she kept coming down with infections all the time. Winter is especially a bad season with almost all the children with runny noses and fevers at the daycare. Can anyone help me with a better option?
Is there any working mom who would like to help me out? daycare exchange kind of an arrangement? Wakoshi/Asakadai/ Kita Asaka would be fine for me.

Thanks for the help ahead!

Dipti

By Peter E on Thursday, April 1, 2004 - 12:54 pm:

Don't worry about it. Nurseries are not all they seem. They are in fact biological warfare testing grounds.

For the first six months or so, expect your child to bring home a new and wondrous disease every _week_. Optionally including chicken pox, measles but hopefully not something really nasty like Kawasaki syndrome.

This is normal, just get used to weekly visits to your local paediatrician. (With two kids, a season ticket would be nice ^^;)

By Vicki on Thursday, April 1, 2004 - 2:51 pm:

Regarding Kawasaki Syndrome, my son contracted it in the states and wasn't attending a daycare. It's still unknown exactly how kids contract this disease, but it seems to happen mostly to kids of Japanese descent. My son is half-Japanese. Don't worry about catching this at the daycare.
The common daycare ailments my kids have run across here (besides colds) are: impetigo, fifth's disease, measles and chicken pox.
Vicki

By Dipti Chaturvedi on Thursday, April 1, 2004 - 7:35 pm:

My god, why is everyone being so scary!
I am having second thoughts about working now. Whats the point if one half of my wages go to daycare and the other half to the pediatrician! Really is it worth it? Is there no better option?

dipti

By Peter E on Thursday, April 1, 2004 - 8:11 pm:

scary? don't get us started ^_^!

kids go to nursery to get sick. anyone who thinks otherwise is quite deluded. Undesirable side effects are things like: they learn to play with others and social skills like how to throw food.

after about 6 months of bringing home everything under the sun, it evens out and they only bring home the occasional mutant flu from timbucthree which allows them to blow nose-bubbles twice the diameter of their heads.

By Admin on Monday, November 15, 2004 - 11:52 am:

You an try to see if your city has a Family Support Center. They have been mentioned in some other discussions. That would be for in-home child care. (You can do a search for the phrase "Family Support Center" using the "key word search" button in the blue column on the left.)

Peter is dead on about the nose bubbles! And kids that have never been to day care also get all the same bugs as those that do, except it might be spaced out a bit more. They are magnets for them. I think the only way to keep them from getting sick is to keep them in a plastic bubble. It's hard with the first baby, but by the time the second one comes along it is all "old hat".

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: