Edit Profile
Troubleshooting
Contact Admin

For Admins
Forum Software

Chiba

Japan With Kids - Forums: Day Care in Japan: Chiba
By Shannon on Friday, July 9, 2004 - 4:17 pm:

Hi I have a 2 month old baby and am trying to find a day care for her. As my husband and I are both foreigners here, we are nervous about finding a foreigner friendly government sponsored day care. We do not have the resources to pay for a private nanny. Does anyone have information or experiences to share? We live in Kashiwa city, in Chiba.
Shannon

By Paula on Monday, July 12, 2004 - 5:14 pm:

Hi Shannon
I also live in Chiba in Ichikawa City.
Unfortunately the childcare situation is quite different to what I was used to in NZ when I arrived here 4yrs ago. First of all its pretty much 8am - 6pm Mon to Fri, some private Hoikoens (Preschool/DayCare) may accept the occasion child in for 1 or 2 mornings a week, a rare occasion.
Next, Full-time Working Mums get top priority, then Part-timers and Mothers with young children who just had/having a baby. At the very botttom of the list is those who want some free-time to study or whatever.
I'm pretty sure you also have to wait until they're at least 6months old, but don't quote me on that one.
Also not all Private Day care's have certification and some are little more than renovated apartments where the cots are quite often arranged like the cages at a vet clinic, so you will have to do a lot of inspecting to find one you're happy with.
Also most goverment run places have certain enrollment times ie Sept/Oct for Yochen (Kindergarten), though I'm not sure about Hoikoens.
Feel free to email me with any further questions.

By Elizabeth on Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 9:51 pm:

I live in Chiba and would like any information about child care centres in the area. Specific details would be greatly appreciated.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: