Register Here
Edit Profile
Troubleshooting
Contact Admin

For Admins
Forum Software

.Finding Daycare

Japan With Kids - Forums: Day Care in Japan: .Finding Daycare
Below are three possible strategies for finding daycare. You will definitely have greater success in your quest if you have the benefit of help from someone who can read and speak Japanese as well as your language.
1 -- Look in the Japanese yellow pages under hoikuen, baby hotel and takujisho.
2 -- Visit your local government office (ward office, city hall, etc.) They all have a desk that addresses mother/child welfare issues. Be persistant. Most of them own and operate public daycares that may not be listed in the yellow pages.
3 -- Try networking in your neighborhood, in the park or on the internet with other mothers, especially Japanese mothers who are working.
The conversation below was created to facilitate method 3! Good luck!
By sayakatn on Monday, March 20, 2000 - 9:33 pm:

For thoese seeking local informations about Day-care:
I'm a member of on-line group of Japanese Mothers, and we just have opened English version of our community site. I think our members can provide you useful information about Daycare.
As far as I know, most of public Daycare in Tokyo accepts foreign children. Small private ones are usually more flexible.
I myself only have informations about Bunkyo ward so please visit http://www.mugi.com/en/
You need to register but it's free and non-commercial.

Sincerely, sayaka@mugi.com

Here is a description of the site (copy/pasted from their front page):

Field of Mugi is a free Internet membership site for present and future working mothers. Here all of us can learn new things by exchanging tips for how to balance career and family, how to pursue our career, and so on. Everybody has a chance to take part in various activities to enhance one's knowledge and skills. After you register, you can participate in the board discussions and chat with other members. The average number of access to our Japanese and English boards is 300 to 500 per day. Off-line meetings are often held throughout Japan and sometimes in other countries too!

By A.K. on Wednesday, March 22, 2000 - 6:02 am:

In Japan (unlike in the USA) there is a public daycare system.

If you want to get your kid into public daycare (hoikuen) you must visit your ward office and go to to the appropriate desk and apply. The deadlines for the new year which starts Monday, 3 April, have passed, but if you live in a ward with not too much demand, just MAYBE you still have a chance. You will have to show proof that you are starting work (a contract for example). Many wards have waiting lists and if you are in a situation that is percieved as maximal support (with a husband, grandparents, a high family income or all of the above, you will most likely not get a place for your child in public daycare.)

Your next option would be private daycare. These range in quality and generally cost around 60,000 to 70,000 yen per month. (Public daycare is on a sliding scale based on income.) Some of them also have long waiting lists and are run almost exactly like the public daycares. Some are very elite. Many do not really make it easy to hold down a job with very strict and fairly early pick-up requirements.

If you can afford a nanny, then you're off and running. If you can't, then you have your work cut out for you, but once you're settled in at a daycare you like, the children really seem to enjoy, grow and in general benefit enormously from all the friends, playing together and interaction. Not to mention the many new toys they have access to. As for language confusion, not a real issue at 14 months. My daughter is fully bilingual at this point, and luckily just recently she has started to realize that there are two separate speach systems and that her mother does't always understand the one from daycare!

By Michelle Kennedy on Wednesday, March 22, 2000 - 2:24 pm:

Help. I am looking for a childcare centre for my 21 month old daughter. I live in Gifu and would like a playcentre that doesn't have the children watching TV all the time and has access to playing outside. I only work on a parttime basis but would appreciate any information. Thanking you.

By Sayaka Nakai on Wednesday, March 22, 2000 - 11:00 pm:

If you live in Minato ward, the public daycare people are quite use to the foreign children. The city center area has less children and you have chances to pop in. Just visit them and ask them. Japanese public daycare is well organized and good enough to satisfy most of the users.

By Alessandra on Sunday, April 16, 2000 - 12:59 am:

Dear Linda,
Sayaka is right. I live in Minato ward and have a two years old girl who is going to a public daycare in Moto Azabu. Now, the children in her class are 14, but only two are pure Japanese.The language used in the daycare is of course Japanese but most of the children are bilingual. The name of the daycare, which by the way is very spacious, with a nice playground (they even grow chikens!) is Azabu Hoikuen (tel 3408-4895).
Hope to see you there.
By the way, I also applied very late so you may still have a chance.

By Cornelia on Tuesday, November 14, 2000 - 12:23 pm:

Tokyo being the really huge city that it is, it isn't easy to answer Michelle's question. Basically each government runs a public daycare system, which involves registration procedures (and deadlines) and sometimes waiting lists depending on need. There are 23 ward governments plus about 27 other city governments all operating within the greater city limits of Tokyo, and you would register in person at the ward office where you reside. Bring a translator if you need one. (For a list of all the wards and cities within Tokyo, see: http://www.tokyowithkids.com/fyi/wardoffices.html)

Private daycare is also available and a list of private facilities is usually available from the ward office. Many "ex-pat" families hire nanny/maids who may even live-in. Some even sponsor the nanny's visa. Japanese families are apparently not allowed to visa-sponsor foreigners for domestic positions.

Apparently it is complicated to sponsor a foreign nanny, but the rules seem to be changing. Maybe someone else can add to this subject? I have never done it myself.

It is possible to hire a nanny without sponsoring. There are many women available, some with visas and some without, and also a few Japanese nationals. Language is a barrier in finding suitable people. The foreign community itself is diffuse and spread out, and not always very helpful to itself. Sometimes the employer company will assist families in finding such help both for private nannies or with public/private daycare facilites registration. In fact, it is this fragmentation of the foreign community that inspired us to start this web site! However, I can only do the research for my ward (Bunkyo-ku). I simply don't have the resources in time and language to supply information for the whole city. Hopefully some parents who have already been through the process in other wards and cities will step forward and contribute what they can in their areas.

In the meantime, use the keyword search in the left hand (blue) column of this discussion page to look for a place name once you know where you plan to live. Some of the information may already have been posted here somewhere! If you are looking for Minato ward information, try the key words: "minato", "minato-ku" or "minatoku".

Likewise don't forget to try the keyword search on the homepage of http://www.tokyowithkids.com/

We spent at least a third of this website's design time trying to get the searches to work correctly. Their purpose is to help parents find the information they are looking for as quickly as possible. We all know how brief on-line time is when there is a toddler screaming in the background!

Daycare vocabulary (please email me if you have words to add!):

daycare facility - hoikuen
daycare childminder - hobo-san, or sensai
cold, has a - kaze hita
diaper - omutsu
fever - netsu
sick - byoki
milk, cow's - gyunyu, miruku
milk, breast - bonyu

kindergarten (can start at age 3)- yochien

By Caroline on Wednesday, November 15, 2000 - 8:50 pm:

Just a note of encouragement to parents looking for a good nursery... I found a wonderful person to look after my daughter
in my neighborhood after weeks of despair. This Japanese lady runs a very small family-style nursery (she converted part of her house into a nursery) and looks after three to four children maximum with the help of her own mother and assistants. She offers exactly the type of tender loving care I was hoping for. At one point I almost gave up on my search and contemplated the idea of leaving Japan but then I found this gem of a lady who clearly loves looking after my baby. She does not advertise so people just hear of her so I encourage people concerned with quality care for their kids to keep searching and ask around a lot.

By Takatsuka Diana on Tuesday, April 3, 2001 - 1:10 pm:

There are 2 daycare school/center in Kichijoji. One is Kids World (quite big and spacious) located in Musashino-shi
Kichijojiminamimachi 1-1-10 Kichijoji MA building 4th floor.
Tel no: 0422-48-4981
Bilingual and native english teachers available.

Another daycare school is ICE-International Creative Education based on Montessori Method. (class is small max. 8 kids per class) It's location is on the opposite of Tokyu Dept. There's a cafe "Doutour" (black & yellow canopy), turn in you'll see Starbuck's. It's on the 3rd floor. Same building as Starbuck's. Classes are taught only in Japanese language. But some of the teachers can speak English if you needed any help.

http://www.ice-world.co.jp/
tel: 0120-044-844

(Moderator: thanks Diane for this info, Kids World is listed in the International Schools list that you can access from the front page of TWK, and I'll get ICE added asap.)

By Madhavi Subramanian on Monday, July 9, 2001 - 2:09 pm:

hi, i am working at Tokyo, shinagawa. My 5yr old son has got admission to YIS at Yokohama,Naka-ku, Yamate cho.
I wanted to know if there is any day care centre where my son could go to after school and be there till i am back from work.
Could some one help me?

best regards,

Madhavi

By Dalina on Thursday, July 19, 2001 - 3:36 pm:

Check out the local Takujisho (drop-in centre)in your area for informations. Most of the centre have a 24hr service. The price are reasonables.
Goodluck.

By Elisa Eriko on Monday, August 20, 2001 - 1:13 am:

Hello,
I am Elisa, 30 yo. female, single, from Jakarta-Indonesia, need a job anywhere, Japan, USA or Canada (Vancouver preferable). I'm looking for a job overseas. Now, I am working for a Gymboree Play and Music program in Jakarta. I have been working here for more than 6 yrs. I also can be an Au Pair for newborn. email : elisa57@hotmail.com

By Rie Sato on Thursday, September 6, 2001 - 10:46 am:

Hello,

I am a 22 year old Japanese female. I was reading the messages and actually I was very interested to become an aupair or nanny.

I wanted to become an au pair in the USA but because of the Visa problem I couldn't do it.

I recently graduted from Keystone junior college in Pennsylvania in USA. I majored in Early Childhood Education.

I have never been an aupair or nanny but I have experience working with children in a Day Care Center.

if someone is interested about it, please e-mail me.

By Rie Sato on Tuesday, September 25, 2001 - 5:32 pm:

Hello Loshni,

I can help for your children as a nanny.

I am really looking for a babysitting, an aupair, or a nanny job position.

I have experience working with children in a day care center.

if you are interested in me, please email me back thank you.

Rie

ps: my email is rie_sato@hotmail.com

By Caroline Li on Friday, September 28, 2001 - 2:14 pm:

I just wanted to let those of you interested in day care know about the place i work for. It is a bi-lingual free-time pre-school. There are 3 English teachers and 4 Japanese teachers that work at our school. We have a small program. 15 children maximum. If you are interested for more information please check our webpage. it's in english and japanese. or write to me! thanks! http://isweb27.infoseek.co.jp/school/e-suku/

By Susan Forester on Friday, October 26, 2001 - 12:41 pm:

We had a baby in March, born in Tokyo, and have had a live-out nanny helping us to take care of our new son since he was born. I returned to work three months after he was born, so our nanny has become a real member of the family. Additionally, we arranged to have a different woman look after our son one morning a week, to get him used to someone else and to have a back-up in case our nanny becomes ill or has to leave us. It has been 8 months since we started this arrangement and our son is thriving. To find English-speaking nannies (English is usually their second language, so ability varies,) check bulletin boards in the shops that foreigners use (Nisshin, National Azabu) or the American Club or churches. Because this method of making first contact is very impersonal, it is recommended to contact several references or previous employers to verify the candidate's background. Some nannies will need to be sponsored (more in a separate posting) while others will have a work visa already. Some are looking only for part-time work, others are looking for full time work. Be sure to enquire about their vacation expectations - some nannies expect to take a month off during the summer, and this might not be feasible for families with working parents. The cost is not cheap, but no quality daycare is either, and prices in Tokyo are uniformly high - nannies are not getting rich in Tokyo! The monthly cost ranges between Y170,000-280,000, plus Y10,000 for travel monthly, Y150,000 for an airline ticket home once a year and Y30,000 annually for health care benefits. This is a typical package, but details vary among individual arrangements.
The nanny community in Tokyo is predominantly Philippino, with some Thai or South Asian women also participating. If you feel you can be a warm and supportive employer, the nanny community in Tokyo in turn is quite reliable and stable - more so than in North America, where child care in the home can be highly irregular. Nannies generally stay with their families for their entire stay in Tokyo, although are rarely willing to move with the family if they relocate.
This is long enough, so I'll stop there - post any additional questions if you have them.

By oneness on Saturday, October 27, 2001 - 11:13 pm:

Hello, Melissa,
Are you still looking for day care? I run an English daycare center in the Hachioji area.
Our prices are very reasonable compared to other international daycare centers. I am also looking for a part-time teacher.
If you are interested please contact me.
Regards, Jason Angove
Oneness Kids Club
042-667-3050

Note from Admin Nov. 2011:
Oneness Kids Club
URL: http://onenesskids.com/profile/
Opened March 31, 2000
Building 2F Soleil, Hazama-machi 1722-7, Hachioji, Tokyo 193-0941
193-0941 sqsԒ 1722-7 ڲ2F
nearest train staton: Takao (JR walk 13 min. or Keio south exit walk 10 min.)
13 minutes drive from Hachioji station
tel: 042-667-3050
hours: 10:30 to 19:00

By Cornelia on Friday, November 30, 2001 - 7:09 am:

Dear Eva, You've been mis-informed. Daycare is daycare and runs from some early hour in the morning until at least 6 pm and often longer. You are probably confusing it with kindergarten which runs from about 9 to noon or 13:00 depending on the individual place, and many of those also have extended care until 15:00 or 16:00.

It won't be easy interviewing a nanny prior to your arrival. The ones that have visas tend to be able to exercise flexibility and be very nimble (and don't need to plan ahead as much).

By Sherri Leibert on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 4:19 pm:

Dear Patricia
I live in Nishi Ikebukuro 3-chome (very close to Rikkyo) and have a daughter born May 2001. I will go back to work part time and am now looking for daycare. I have not found anything private in the area.

There is Kidsworld
http://www.pigeon.co.jp/
which has locations around Tokyo, but there are none I am willing to commute to. Check out the website, it might be OK for you. I think it is reasonable and I know of a few non-Japanese Moms that have vouched for it.

There is also Maria's babies
http://www.mariasbabies.co.jp/
again, not convenient enough for me (Yoyogi area) and a little too expensive, but I hear it is very good.

I am going to check out the ward office for the area, Toshima-ku. They have said on the phone that I can have reasonably priced part-time childcare (about 800yen an hour -- I think). I only need a couple of days a week.

Now I take her to a place called K-Space once a week
http://www.kspace.to/

It is not a daycare, but a play and development-type place for mothers and babies to play together. I would definately recommend that if you have the time.

I am not sure if this information helps you. Once I visit the ward office and find out more, I will let you know.

By Cornelia on Friday, April 26, 2002 - 8:45 am:

Here are my answers to some questions someone sent in to another list:

1. How likely is it that I, a single mom, will get a spot in public daycare? Could I pretty well count on getting in next April, or might I have trouble in some areas?
very likely
Very specifically: You are very likely to get a spot for your child if you are a single mother, have proof of employment and do not have a relative living with or near by you that is capable of providing child care.
P.S. They will most likely come to where you live for an interview as part of the application/acceptance process.

2. If I did get stuck, how much does private daycare cost? (People say "not that much" but I need a number, particularly if I end up with an English teacher's salary for awhile.)

About Y60,000 to Y80,000 per month (still cheaper than NYC or Washington,DC). Your rate will vary since public daycare is income weighted. Private daycare may or may not be if it is "privatized" but controlled by the government.

3. Can anyone recommend which areas of Tokyo might be better (or at least good) for daycare--more room, more numerous centers, less chance of getting refused? Bear in mind that I need affordable housing--Minato-ku is probably not an option. (Info on specific experiences in different ku are welcome.)

Soka City in Saitama had an easy in for another single mother friend of mine but her son was already 5 years old. It is a lot easier to get an older child in than a baby. The care requirement staff/child ratios are much less flexible for babies. I had to wait until April 1, my daughter was born November 11. In the intervening 5 months I lost my job. I live in Bunkyo-ku. Since then, which was in 1996, they have opened a new service called the Family Support Center. This might have saved my life back in 1996. The daytime babysitting rate is 800 yen per hour through them. I was paying about 1500 yen per hour, used up all my savings, lost my job anyway, because I insisted on going home at 5 pm, etc. I ended up self-employed and free-lancing and poor BUT with a very flexible schedule. After my daughter was about a year old I found out about child support money from the government. The amount was not so great but it was certainly a big help because it covered the National Health Insurance premium and part of the daycare monthly fee. In order to receive this payment (actually there are 3 different ones) you have to be making an amount below "x" annually. You can find more about these issues in these discussions (use the key word search function if you are in a hurry). Setagaya-ku comes up all the time as refusing people, but mostly the ones I've heard saying this are married couples. Sangenjaya is part of the "gaijin corridor" so I am also more likely to hear about that ward since most of the people who communicate with me on these issues are non-Japanese. Minato-ku comes up positive, no kids because housing is expensive so the facilities are under-utilized.

4. I'd also LOVE to hear from other single moms in Tokyo and know how you're doing--whether you find it isolating, excessively difficult, wonderful, etc.

I think single mom-hood definitely has it's challenges. But since I chose it, I was prepared for consequences (though I did not have a totally clear idea of what they would be). Getting sex is easy if you keep the kid out of the picture. But I've pretty much decided that if my kid is not going to be included, then I'd rather not bother (my priorities have changed!). Most women that are not or have never raised a kid, have very little interest or sympathy and don't really want to be around my kid any more than most men do. So basically my girlfriends these days are mostly mothers. There are some people who even though childless, just have a great affinity for kids, and we are lucky enough to know some of them. (By the way my daughter's Dad is not really one of those...sort of one foot in and one foot out of that camp.) Japanese teenagers, male and female, love my kid, but they don't make very good friends for me. As for being a single mom in Tokyo as opposed to somewhere else. I can't see that it makes much difference. The early years of child care are so intense and take so much time that it is almost as if the surroundings are a blur. The internet has been a life saver. The government is friendlier than I would have expected. I have been reporting an income below 250,000 yen per month for several years now and am still getting my work visa renewed. There were moments of severe loneliness when she was small, but since then I've found a good balance and some new friends. And she can talk now!

...(and I was trying to be brief!)

By Orchids on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 4:23 pm:

Is there somebody who has experienced with Kids World in Hiroo? Please let me know your opinions/impressions and the monthly price for having my 1y 9m son stay there from 9 am to 6 pm.

Thanks

By Daniel Holgate on Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 11:33 am:

Hi. We are looking for day care 5 days a week for our 19 month old daughter. Our closest station is Musashikoyama station on the Tokyu Meguro-line in Shinagawa-ku, which would make getting to one of those international schools in Shibuya / Hiroo in the morning a real hassle on a v.crowded train (no car!).
Can anyone recommend good international daycare which is along our train line?
Unfortunately we have only just started looking this week and the message I have gotten from places I have spoken to in other areas is not good - any places around that anyone knows of that might still have vacancies?

regards and thanks in advance,

Daniel

By Sraboni Dutta on Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 11:57 am:

Hi Daniel,

I also live in Musashi Koyama station , but mine is Meguro Ku. Anyway, there is an International School in the shopping street towards the station , you can see their signboard just opposite the Tokyu Store. You can go and enquire there. You can contact the ward office and get a list of Hoikuens in this area.

Regards,
Sraboni

By Daniel Holgate on Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 12:17 pm:

Thanks Sraboni,

On your advice I just called the International School in the mall, but they apparently filled their last place last week
:(
We have a list of the Hoikuens in our ward and have been applying since January but we have been told that it will be impossible to get our daughter in this year - apparently local Japanese mothers start applying in September/October of the previous year :(
This is really tough.. we'll keep trying.

regards, Daniel
(12/16/2004 - Daniel wrote that he has moved back to Brisbane, Australia)

By Sraboni Dutta on Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 12:47 pm:

Hi Daniel,

You know you can try one more thing. There are private hoikuens too (Shiritsu, in Japanese). You can ask for that list from the ward office. They are the ones, who can take kids anytime of the year, provided there is a vacancy.
I agree with you, it is so... tough at times. I faced the same problem last year.

Sraboni

By Orchids on Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 12:57 pm:

I have same problem. I applied in Jan and the result came last week saying there was no more place. Privately I have a little doubt on private hoikuen. Most of them seem to have only a few care giver compared to the number of kids. I live in Ueno, work at Odaiba. Would really appreciate any input.

By Cathy Edwards on Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 1:43 pm:

Daniel
There is Fairyland which is an international Day Care / Pre School.
It is located in Himonya on Meguro Dori on the opposite corner to the large Daiei store on about the 5th/6th floor.
Their website is http://www.fairyland.co.jp/f_english.html
Also, my daughter has been at Musashi Koyama International since last June and loves it.
I would recommend visiting and putting your name down if you like it for a future place.

By Peter E on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 11:07 am:

Apparently, unless you annoy the hell out of the ward office, they will think you don't deserve a space. They don't have enough spaces as it is because they are too busy spending your tax money on important things like buying Nakano Sun Plaza for XX oku-en of _your_ money.

Then there is the system, remember not to have your child born in june, thats too young to get a space, then when april comes, too old!

The system is divided into years (don't get me started on how sensible this is) 0-sai is further divided into 0-6 6-12, so quite often they have spaces for 0-6 but even though its the same classroom and same nursery nurses you cant get that space. EVEN IFF you meet their requirements because your child is too old! But maybe if you wait until June there might still be a space there ...

Oh, there are spaces though, in places you have never heard of that are diametrically the furthest corner of the ward from where you live. Hell, they have 10 places and NINE spaces there!

Let's not even mention the radical concept of TWO KIDS, if you want to get them both in the same nursery, then better start before they are born.

For what it is worth, the private nurseries I have seen have been small, dirty, understaffed and overcrowded. You don't want to send your child there unless there is no alternative.

By Melissa Mcnulty on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 11:49 am:

I send my daughter to a small private nursary run by a Japanese woman in my neiborhood. I have been really happy with the standard of care there. The place is clean, tidy, the toys are clean, the staff are great(and there are enough of them). I am lucky that I have not had to face the frustration of tryiong to get my daughter into public daycare, but don't give up on the private nurseries! I found mine through word of mouth, and if you live in or near Kichijoji, I am happy to give the contact details to anyone who may be interested.

By taylor on Monday, March 24, 2003 - 5:45 am:

I am hoping to start a job in Nagoya in August. I have a 3 year old boy and I am looking in to possible daycare facilities for him. Does anyone know of daycare centres in Nagoya with reasonable rates. I would be grateful for any information - please post here or email me at nagoyataylor@yahoo.co.uk

By Cassandra Lee Hara on Tuesday, July 22, 2003 - 9:57 pm:

I am in the process of finding employment. Though I have received several positive responses I've had to decline the offers since I have been unable to find daycare services near our home. If anyone has information regarding either public, private or drop-in daycare centers on the Tobu-Tojo line in either Kawagoeshi, Shingashi or Ikebukuro please drop me a line. I would be most appreciative of any information either posted on this site or email me at casslp2@yahoo.com
Thanks!

By Emily Homma on Wednesday, July 23, 2003 - 7:51 am:

Hi! I live near Kasumigaseki station right next to Kawagoe-shi. I have been dropping my kids (4 yr.o.; 1 yr.o.) in a private Japanese hoykuen-Kasumi Hoykuen (2x a week) for a month now. The kids could stay at the hoykuen from 8:30 AM till 5 PM (or even up to 8 PM: 400 yen per beyond dismissal time). You pay about 12,000 yen to 48,000 yen a month for "fulltime" stay of 5 days/week depending on your child's age( 6 yr.o. to 6 months old). The registration fee is about 35,000 yen. Meal is 200 yen. There's another newer hoykuen (Lily) but a lot farther from the station.

By Shumshad on Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 7:33 am:

Dear Natasha,

Sorry i couldn't mail you the details immediately.name of
the school is Frontier Kids its a newly open Montessori and
a Day care center with modern equipments and bilingual
teachers.they also have a learning center with
ikebana,Art,ballet,English,Aikido and mother and baby
Montessori classes.
you can visit them for a trial lesson. (pls call and get a
appointment).

For more information contact Mr.Irimichi or Mrs.Hashimoto
Tel : 090 - 9952 7804
fax : 047 357 6804

Home page :http://www.futurefrontiers.jp/kids/

By Katharina Stelzl on Thursday, January 8, 2004 - 2:50 am:

Hi,
I'm a 19 year-old, german student. i'll graduate this summer and i'd love to get to know japan. that's why i'm looking for a nice host-family, which needs a nice, friendly au-pair girl.
i would be really glad if you'd e-mail me for further information. my e-mail is pennipotenta@gmx.de
you can also visit http://www.greataupair.com/showProfile.cfm/locatorID/139610 for more information about me and to see pictures.
thank you
Katharina

By Kaniz Akter on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 12:04 pm:

Dear all,
I am Kaniz.Currently living in Tokyo but from 1st April I am moving to Honjo ,Saitama. I am a Bangladeshi female and married.I have work permit.So I want to do some part time job specially with kids.I like kids and also love to be with them.I was a teacher in my country.And the conversations with students (kids) are almost in English.So I want a job, specially in day care centers.I can teach kids English,play with them, sing songs.My Japanese language level is beginners.I can assure that they will like me.So I want such a job in a day care center in or near Honjo city (Saitama) as I love kids.

By Midori Minodora Mihaela Maria Manuela on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 9:22 pm:

Dear all,
I live in Seta, Setagaya-ku. I would like to hire a nanny for some 3 hours/day, on week-days, from middle April. English or Japanese speaking. Should just play with my one-years old daughter, and this will be really fun.

By Yee Mun Loh on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 5:45 am:

Hi,
My family and I are moving to Tokyo in October and I am looking for a daycare/preschool for my boys, the eldest will be 3 and a half years in October and the youngest will be 22 months. I did a search on the internet and am interested in Yoyogi International School located in Shibuya-ku and Hiroo International Kindergarten in Minato-ku. I would like to hear from someone who had experience with these schools or have heard about them. I can be contacted at casablancaloh@yahoo.co.uk

Thanks.
Yee Mun

By Peter E on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 9:14 am:

At least you are avoiding the hot bit by waiting until august.

My daughter is currently at Yoyogi International Preschool. My mum approves of it and she has something like 30+ years of teaching experience to younger children.

http://www.yoyogiinternationalschool.com/

By Linda Gondo on Tuesday, August 3, 2004 - 9:15 pm:

My daughter also goes to Yoyogi International and loves it. The teachers are professional, kind and patient and they have a fun stimulating curriculum. I have only ever heard positive things about this school.

By Moira Carroll on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 4:25 am:

Hi I looking for a daycare (public or private) in Shinjuku near Shinjukugyoen (Tomihisacho). Does anyone here have any info. on daycare in this area? My baby is 17 months old. What is the deadline for application in Shinjuku-ku? Thanks.

By xochitl tellez on Monday, November 8, 2004 - 5:16 pm:

Hi We just moved to Akasaka and I'm looking for a play group (my baby is 14 months old) and a daycare (close to Akasaka). If anyone here has information, please help !Thanks a lot.

By Liz Woodhouse on Tuesday, November 9, 2004 - 8:34 pm:

Hi Xochitl,

Just wanted to let you know about Akasaka Kids to Teens Hall. They have a playgroup at 11.00 am on Mondays and Thursdays. The Monday group for roughly 0-1 and Thursday from 1-2 ish. Your son can probably go to both with no problem. It's mostly in Japanese as you'd expect but they are very friendly and there's quite often several non-japanese there. It is also just a play hall that you can go to any time which is great. If you walk from Akasaka station towards the ANA hotel - past a drugstore on your right then a little park and a red jazz bar. It's on the corner at the junction at the end. The name is written on the wall but you have to walk to the end and round the corner to get in.

I am a friend of Elke's by the way and we've met before but I thought I'd answer your post just in case we don't get round to meeting up. Feel free to email me if you want any more info.

Liz

By Elizabeth on Thursday, January 6, 2005 - 9:26 am:

does anyone know of Daycare in Chiba city area?

By Bethan Hutton on Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 8:40 am:

Daycare in Bunkyo-ku - urgent

I've just had this urgent request passed on to me - an American woman arriving in Tokyo shortly and due to start teaching at a university in Bunkyo-ku at the beginnning of April is looking for daycare for her small baby (I think only three or four months old). She's missed the deadline for April entry to public hoikuens, though she may get a place for May; in the meantime she desperately needs someone to look after the baby for April. Needs to be local (around Koishikawa or easily accessible from there) and preferably someone who has at least a little English, as she speaks no Japanese. If anyone has any leads on private daycare, babysitters etc in the area, please let me know and I'll pass the info on.

edobaby@hotmail.com

By Soisik on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 4:50 pm:

Hello,
I need some help...
I have a three and half months old daughter who started going to a private day-care a few days ago (actually two weeks ago) when I returned to work after the end of the maternity leave. Everything was going on well, both she and I were getting accustomed to it, when we learnt that the day care will be closing next month.
This was the most unfortunate news we received in the past weeksE
Since my daughter is still very young, I am looking for an other place near by my office in Shibuya/ Omotesando (close by Kodomono shiro) since I use my lunch breaks to go and see her and feed her (one pumping session less!) and would really like to keep going this way for a few more months.
Would anyone know a place where a three and half months old baby can be happy (four days per week)?
I am planning to visit Shibuya ward office to ask the list of private day-care, but should you have some suggestions, it would be most welcome!
I am looking forward to hearing from you. Soisik

P.S. we are walking from home to the office, a little exercise isnt too bad, and passing by Daykanyama/ kanazawa dori. A day-care on our way from home to the office would be great, as I said the closer to Kodomono shiro, the better.

P.P.S. I have heard about "private nanny" who run small day-care at their home, this sounds attractive, any suggestions?

By Jellund on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 8:44 pm:

Hello

Shibuya ward office has a Family Supporter system. If you register with the system they try to find someone near your home (or work) who wants to look after your child. However, it takes time to find a supporter as the carers are volunteers, they are usually mums themselves with older children at school. When I registered it took about 2 months to find a supporter. This is just an option if you cannot get your daughter into a daycare. What are the other kids in the daycare that is closing down going to do?
Also, Cerullean Tower has a babysitting service, not cheap but an option nevertheless.

Hope this helps and good luck.

By Linda Gondo on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 8:19 am:

Dear Soisik,
This child care centre takes very young babies and is five minutes walk from Gaienmae station, so you could just take the subway from Omotoesando near kodomo no shiro and it would be the very next stop. Nice bright facilities and the staff seem great, but the best thing about it is the very nice, safe and relatively spacious park nearby which they take the kids to every day. A colleague of my husband sent her daughter there and thought they offered excellent care.
http://www.dreamkids-net.co.jp/index_en.html
Dream Kids
2-9-23 Minami-Aoyama, Minato-ku, Tokyo
Tel: 03-3403-6612, Fax: 03-3403-661

There is also a daycare centre in Ebisu which is listed on the International Preschools section of this site which accepts infants, I've forgotten the name exactly sorry, but it should be easy to find.
Good luck, Linda

By Roxy on Saturday, June 4, 2005 - 10:44 pm:

Does anyone know of a place in Tokyo that is similar to what I have seen in the US and Australia; a day care/nursery combination. It is avaiable for parents to either drop in for a few hours and/or permanents for kids under 5. So, if you need a few hours you can drop your kid off and go do something. It is different from a Hoikuen, as
they are usually private and limited in numbers.

Roxy

By Linda Gondo on Sunday, June 5, 2005 - 9:13 am:

Roxy,
Kids World offers occasional care. Centres are throughout Tokyo. You will be able to find the link on this web site.

By Queenie on Saturday, July 23, 2005 - 9:57 pm:

Dearest all,
I am from Hong Kong and I will be assigned to have a 6-month project in Japan and I have decided to bring my little daughter (5months old) along with me. I would like to know if there are any childcare services for the foreigners'.
What is the price list and what documents should be prepared??
Thanks a lot for your help.
Queenie

By Estelle on Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 5:26 pm:

Dear all,

I am looking for some nursery near shibuya station - daikanyama area for my 4 months baby. It seems that under 15 months it is quite hard to find. Could you help me?
Thanks a lot!
Estelle

By Tese on Friday, August 26, 2005 - 1:42 am:

Queenie, Estelle,

I, too, have a child under a year old and I've been running into the same problem as you - finding childcare centers that will accept babies this age. I have received some wonderful help from some of the forum members. I'm not familiar with the Tokyo area yet, so I'm not sure how close you are to these centers but I think they take really young babies:

http://www.cute-angels.com/
http://www.mariasbabies.co.jp/english/program.html
http://www.yellowpagesjapan.com/1639/1.html (this is actually just a list of nurseries throughout the area, not sure if any of them accept babies b/c I haven't contacted them yet)

Anyway, I hope this helps...and good luck.

By Peter E on Saturday, August 27, 2005 - 12:04 am:

If you live in shibuya, try your local ward office. Though if you are one of those over-paid, over-rated and over-here ex-pat's, forget it.

(hoikuen and nyujishitsu will take them from 57 days, but private ones are well, Your Mileage May Vary. ...)

As an aside, I think a friend of mine's family runs a nursery somewhere in SHoto. I can see if I can find the page ...

To start, try here:
http://www.city.shibuya.tokyo.jp/kurashi/children/index.html

By Natasha Watts on Saturday, August 27, 2005 - 12:30 am:

HI all,
First of all, this is not a comment on target with the post. but really a comment for Peter who had some great information posted above. BUT...
I just wanted to say, Peter, gosh you just sound so angry towards the well off folks!! I am super poor now and have been for a while (meaning budgeting left and right and still not having enough for utility bills). But I'm not angry at the lucky ones. Yes I often envy the comfortable lifestyles of the (over-paid ex pats), but but what do you mean by Over-rated?! Ex pats or not, employees are just paid what the company they work for decided on, right?
I dunno, you just sounded defensive and angry and that bothered me. Sorry everyone, including Peter, if I was out of the topic here.

By Nancy on Saturday, August 27, 2005 - 9:10 am:

Since the administrator of this site is very busy trying to cope with spam on this site, why add to the work load with e-mails that are inflammatory? Peter, all you had to say was "daycare through the ward office is subject to income level restrictions." Natasha,thanks for speaking out. I think you got it right, I also read anger and hostility and jealousy in that post and in his other post.

By Peter E on Saturday, August 27, 2005 - 9:36 am:

Yes, you are right.

I was way out of line there.
I apologise.

By Mike Hood on Tuesday, September 20, 2005 - 9:54 pm:

Greetings All:

My wife and I are looking for daycare for
our little girl, and we need some ideas. We
live in Mejiro. My wife wishes to return to
work on November 1st, but Toshima-ku
has no room for us in public hoikuen until
April. We've not been thrilled by the few
private daycare businesses we've seen in
the area. Does anyone have any ideas? We
hope to find something in Mejiro, or
perhaps on the Yamanote line between
Ikebukuro and Yoyogi. Thanks. Mike

By Peter E on Tuesday, September 20, 2005 - 10:50 pm:

Don't roll over and accept the kuyakusho's answer. First, work out your chances (eg, both work, both commute, no grandparents within easy reach, etc) then start calling up and visiting them until they help. Be polite, but insistent.

THere is some sort of points system, I dont remember the details, but number of hours/week, distance of commute and availability of relatives = 0 are contributing factors.

It helps if daddy visits too. THough it can be embarrassing and quite trying.

Its a well known fact that a lot of mums fill those application forms with complete fabrications, so try not to be too outrageous. You don't want to be caught out, the repercussions can be annoying.

By Bethan Hutton on Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 9:17 am:

Have you asked the ward office about hoiku-mama? These are women, usually in their 40s or 50s, all very experienced and inspected by the ward, who look after children in their own homes. I know a couple of them in my ward (one I use as a private babysitter and one is a neighbour of mine) and they are great - very caring and enthusiastic. They tend to look after the smaller children (babies to one-year-olds) who haven't been able to get a place at hoikuen yet, but some also take older children.

By rosemarie kato on Monday, October 3, 2005 - 1:15 pm:

i applied my son to the daycare center near our home and we thought it is going to be ok. coz the staff that we spoke looks there is an available space for my son. but when they passed it to the city government they send us a letter that there is no space yet for the center that we chose!im going to work by next month and i still dont have a place to put my son!i really have to work coz my husband salary is not enoughfor us plus im still helping my family back home!any advise will be greatly appreciated!by the way,were living here in oimachi,shinagawa!thanks!

By Wini Meidasari on Tuesday, October 4, 2005 - 10:49 am:

Hi. I have four year old daughter who just started in Japanese day care. We have hard time to drop her in the school. She seems unconfortable in the school. I understand that she cannot speak Japanese. Now, We are thinking again whether we made a right decision to send her to Japanese school. We actually tried to find English school but the schedule does not fit with us. And some schools that are suitable are either expensive or full. Is there any parents who have the same experiences? how long she has to adjust with this new enviroment? and how can we help her? I really feel guilty to drop her while she still scream and cry. Please help us with your inputs.

thanks
wini

By Andrew J. Hazelton on Tuesday, October 4, 2005 - 1:27 pm:

My son was 4 years old when we moved to Japan and he started full-time Japanese daycare at that time. For about 3 months he complained every day because he had no English-speaking friends and had trouble understanding the people at school. But after about 3 months, he was pretty good--his Japanese was passable and he was comfortable. After 6 months, he spoke Japanese like any other 4 year old, and was also no longer shy in the park. Your results may vary, but I have heard the 3 month barrier from other parents in the same situation.

By Gamze Abramov on Saturday, October 8, 2005 - 5:47 pm:

I am currently pregnant with my first child and am considering my options in regards to work. I now work at several universities teaching English but I am considering working from home after the baby is born.

I was thinking of looking after an additional 2 similarly aged children and was wondering if there would be a market for this home-based private childcare. Obviously I would be competing with large daycare centres as well as private nannies, but I wonder if there would be mothers who would be interested in such a set-up.

Obviously it is just a thought at the moment but any feedback would be most appreciated. For example, what could I charge for such a service? Would acquiring insurance be difficult or expensive?

I do have nannying experience myself, am a 31 year old Masters-educated native English speaker and will be living in central Tokyo.

By Mike Hood on Saturday, October 8, 2005 - 7:50 pm:

Hi Gamze,
I think there is a need for what you are talking about. I know nothing about
licensing or insurance, though I am sure both are required. The larger problem is location. My wife and I would love to have such an arrangement (it is similar to what my older siblings have done in the U.S.). We are not thrilled with the private daycare centers we have visited, and the public system has no room for us for months. But we live in Mejiro and can find no home-based childcare in the area. We will end up paying about 70,000 per month at a private daycare when my wife goes back to work next month. We don't mind the cost. We would pay the same or more for a better situation.

By the way, I too am working at several universities in Tokyo. Why don't you email me directly so we can touch base.

By Steve K on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 12:56 pm:

Edogawa ward has set up a system called "hoiku mama", which is basically a network of older mothers and women (I don't think men are discouraged from participating but...) who provide childcare in their homes during normal working hours and sometimes beyond, depending on the separate arrangements made between the mom and the childcare provider. The childcare provider must have no kids of their own who are younger than a certain age (five or six: my memory fails me here). I believe that each hoiku mama can take care of up to four kids, and there is a set fee--though I'm not sure if this is a recommended or prescribed amount. Perhaps other wards and cities have similar systems.

By khanitha P. on Monday, October 24, 2005 - 1:05 pm:

Hi everyone,
I am finding a good daycare for my 14 months old daughter. I live in Moto Okubo (near Keisei Okubo Station). My husband is working and I will be starting soon in mid November 2005. Any suggestion/advice where are the good ones and how long does it take to put my daughter into the daycare? What are the procedures? Day cares near Makuhari/ Makuharihongo are also fine.
Thanks guys !!
Pls email me if you have any advice at : khanitha_kh[at]yahoo.co.uk

By Lucas Roehrs on Friday, November 4, 2005 - 3:09 pm:

Dear Mamas: Help! I will be with my small baby (13 months) in Tokyo for three months, working here, starting in Dec. 2005. I am serachung a possibility where I could leave my wunderfull little daughter from 7:30 to 15:00 each weekday. I am already checking the state babycare (we will be for a too short period of time here) and I checked few international schools, but most of them are exorbitant expensive. Does anyone know what to do? Any mother carring for taking care for an other baby for that time? Regards. Birthe

By Admin on Monday, November 7, 2005 - 8:03 am:

Dear Birthe,
What neighborhood will you be living in? Do you know the "ku" (ward is the common English translation)?
Setagaya-ku is notoriously difficult. So is Bunkyo-ku. (for both public and private). Is your place of employment helpful in your search? If you have an address where you are living (you don't have to give the exact house number is you don't want to) and the nearest train station, it would help. Tokyo is simply huge.

By Lucas Roehrs on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 10:46 pm:

hi guys, you are perfectly right. I do stay in shinagawa, 10 minutes walk from Shinagawa station. thank you. b.

By Marie-Therese Hannon on Friday, February 17, 2006 - 6:01 am:

Hi there, Does anyone have any information on or experience of government daycare centers in Shibuya Ku? Thanks, Maire

By Joanna Bennett on Friday, February 17, 2006 - 8:11 am:

Marie, you maybe a bit late to apply for April 06. But anyhow just go to the ward office, the translator will help you. Get all the forms(available in English) fill up and send them in asap.
Both my kids are in hoikuen. Happy to speak with you if you need more details.
jobennett[at]tokyo.com

By Marie-Therese Hannon on Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 6:01 am:

Is April the 6th the deadline?

By Bethan Hutton on Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 9:48 am:

No, April is the start of the new "school year" in Japan, which also applies to hoikuen/daycare - children move up to the next class on April 1st. (I think the April 06 above meant April 2006 ie this year). Most new openings at ward-run hoikuen are from April 1st.

The application deadline for getting into hoikuen for April will vary from area to area, but I am afraid that by now you are probably too late. Even so, if you want a place you should go ahead and apply as soon as possible because you could be lucky enough to find a place available. Otherwise, the sooner you go on the waiting list the sooner you should get a place.

Private hoikuen are more likely to have places come up during the year, not just April, but state run hoikuen are usually better (more staff, more space, outdoor playgrounds) and are usually cheaper.

By Mary SP on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 3:32 pm:

We just received the letter confirming that our baby has not been accepted in Senzoku's (Ota-ku) public hoykuen.
Does anybody know any good private hoykuen near the "Tokyo Institute of Technology International House"?
We went through the Ota City official map and found that there is only one near us (senzokuike), but we would really appreciate to have some references.
Additionally, we saw in the letter that there might be vacancies in the public nursery, in which case they would call us. Should we rely on this possibility? Any experience? Any advice will be most welcome.

By Steve K on Wednesday, March 1, 2006 - 7:53 am:

My wife told me that, in our area (Edogawa-ku), once a daycare is full, it remains full. The only thing you may hope for is that one of the daycare's registered kids' mom or dad is transferred out of town before April.

By Mary SP on Friday, March 3, 2006 - 2:42 pm:

Thanks Steve. I suppose you refer to public daycares only? or should I expect the waiting list to be motionless in the private ones too?

We already visited all the private nurseries near our home and the bad news are that all of them are full.

We are now going for the private facilities along our way to work.
We could bring the baby with us and stop somewhere along our trip to leave the baby in the nursery, and pick her back in the afternoon.
Anybody can provide telephone and address for good private nurseries near the following stations? (any personal experience or references will be most welcome):

TOKYU OIMACHI LINE:
- O-okayama
- Midorigaoka
- Jiyugaoka
- Kuhombutsu
- Oyamadai
- Todoroki
- Kaminoge
- Futako-tamagawa

TOKYU DEN-EN-TOSHI LINE:
- Any station between futako-tamagawa and suzukakedai.

Thanks a lot!

By Cornelia on Friday, March 3, 2006 - 10:26 pm:

Mary SP,
You have to try any "drop-in" centers at this point as well. They will do all day usually. Unfortunately, none of your stations are the really big ones, but there really must be something at Jiyugaoka, I would think. Have you tried getting help with looking in the phone book? The English townpage does not include everything in Tokyo. You have to look in the Japanese phone book for Ota-ku.

Also try the silver center for in home care. Or, now most wards have a "Family Support Center". This would all be in Japanese.

By Cornelia on Friday, March 3, 2006 - 11:04 pm:

Kids International is an international child care center managed by Kids International Ltd.
The corporation Murakami Music Office is the parent company of Kids International. They do a bridal business such as chapel & wedding receptions.

Kids International monthly program members can view their child anytime through live camera on internet (password protected).
http://www.kids-int.co.jp/english/locations/

Gotanda: Pola Bldg #3 B1F 8-9-5 Nishi-Gotanda, Shinagawa, Tokyo 141-0031
tel: 03-3491-4195, fax: 03-3491-4196

T&A Bldg. 6F 5-2-5 Himonya, Meguro-Ku, Tokyo 152-0003
tel: 03-5720-5601, fax: 03-5720-5602

MM Bldg. 7F 6-10-12 Nishi-Kasai, Edogawa-Ku, Tokyo 134-0088
tel: 03-5679-5571, fax: 03-5679-5572

Makuhari: Patios. 16 2-9 Utase, Mihama-Ku, Chiba 261-0013
tel: 043-211-8285, fax: 043-211-8286

Shin Urayasu: 20-1 Akemi Urayasu-shi Chiba 279-0014
tel: 047-390-6666, fax: 047-390-6660

Nouvelle Villages Hibarigaoka
2-8-27 Yato-cho, Nishitokyo-shi 188-0001
tel: 0424-38-9530, fax: 0424-38-9531

32-7 Inarimae, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-0061
tel: 029-863-7210, fax: 029-863-7205

Baby Station Nakagawa: 1-20-18-2F Nakagawa, Tsuzuki-Ku, Yokohama-Shi, Kanagawa 224-0001
tel: 045-911-8246, fax: 045-911-8441

Baby Station Oizumigakuen: SK Bldg. 2F, 6-34-30 Higashi O-izumi, Nerima-ku, Tokyo 178-0068
tel: 03-5387-3780, fax: 03-5387-3784

By Admin on Friday, March 3, 2006 - 11:15 pm:

Here's one (info is from 2001 in a post by Debbie Kobayashi in the "drop-in" discussion at http://www.tokyowithkids.com/discussions/messages/153/349.html) in Jiyugaoka:

Petite Nature
Tel: (03) 3725-0808, Fax: (03) 3725-1005
1-9-4 Jiyugaoka, White Building, 2nd Floor
PS They don't charge for same day cancellations, if you haven't ordered lunch or snacks for your child.

By Mary SP on Sunday, March 5, 2006 - 11:50 pm:

Dear all,

thanks a lot for all the information. Cornelia, many thanks for your advice about looking into the phone book. I will take a look, and consider it as an option. I dont feel confident in selecting a nursery only by myself, without references, or a webpage where I can spend some time translating and checking options, but if I use the book phone I might ask for help in the university. Neither my husband, and specially me, are proficient in japanese language, and interviews become a bit hard. Thanks also for the info on Kids International, a bit far from our home, but also a possible solution...thanks Keiko, futakotamagawa is right in our way. But, as the admin said, we are looking for nurseries. Thanks a lot anyway! Any new info, or extended timetable, will be considered. Thanks to the administrator for the address in Juyugaoka, good to consider.

Thanks to all!

By Mary SP on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 11:13 pm:

Finally, we selected "Kids World". It is a chain of nurseries. It is fine, part of the teachers speak english, and the nurses seem to be very sweet. The baby is happy. I wonder if it's maybe a little bit expensive. I have no idea about prices, we are paying around 80000 yen per month on a monday to friday, 8 hours per day, basis. Somebody to comment if that is OK?

By Bethan Hutton on Friday, March 17, 2006 - 8:44 am:

I think Kids World is definitely on the more expensive end of the scale, but if you are happy with it, that is the main thing.

As far as I remember, a ward run nursery place costs maximum around Y55,000 a month (give or take Y5,000 or so depending on age of baby, area etc, and that is means-tested, so people on lower incomes pay much less). The private nursery I use for my daughter costs about the same for full-time care for age 2 and up; babies cost a little more (Y60-65,000).

But Kids World is a more "upmarket" chain of nurseries, and they have the English-speaking staff, more of an "educational" program and so on. In any case, Y80,000 a month is still a bargain compared to full-time nursery care where I come from (UK).

By Andrew J. Hazelton on Friday, March 17, 2006 - 9:13 am:

We went through the same thing 1 year ago. After being rejected by the local day care, our kids went to Kids World for a month. The next month they were accepted into the ward hoikuen. The prices Bethan quoted are similar to our experience. But hoiuken have longer hours than Kids World and lunch is free. Other than that, our experience with kids World was very positive. And it was a huge relief when we found them (probably similar to the relief you feel now).

Like most of the advice on this page, I advise you to keep applying to the local ward office. Our experience is they didn' t really believe that my wife and I were both working. But when we showed that our kids were going full-time to Kids World, I think it helped convince them we were in need of public daycare.

By Cornelia on Friday, March 17, 2006 - 1:45 pm:

I had my daugter in the ward hoikuen system in Bunkyo-ku. They had a sliding scale depending on family income. AND age of child. So the first - 3 years were more expensive even though my income stayed the same. The rate went down in her 4th and 5th years because the caretaker/child ratio changes. They also need less space inside but do have more access to a common room in those last 3 years (my daughter did not complete the 6th year of hoikuen because she started school).

One more thing, the rates fluctuated a bit from year to year depending on political climate. The rate sheet is supposedly available at the appropriate desk at the city hall. But, sometimes, they are reluctant to pass them out to just anyone (another one of those things here that irritates me endlessly is trying to convince government workers to give me copies of information that I am supposed to have access to as a taxpayer).

I think that the top tier price was around Y70,000 a month for babies (over 4 months old) at the time (1997) in Bunkyo-ku. But I could have faulty memory, and anyway it is likely to have changed by now. Now, private daycares would have one price for everyone. Very confusing is that in some wards (I think Setagaya is one of these) there are some so-called private daycares that are still included in the ward management/selection process. I forget what they are called, but they have a special relationship, usually receive some government funding and so on.

By Steve K on Friday, March 17, 2006 - 3:30 pm:

If my memory is correct, I think we paid slightly more than 80,000 yen per month to Poppins Nursery for our daughter (one year old at the time) for the same 8 hours, five days a week schedule. I thought it was a fair price, considering that meals were included and they had decent facilities (including a webcam for viewing from the office). We were lucky because it also happened to be two minutes away from home and located in the building housing our nearest station.

By Caroline on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 1:32 pm:

A few years ago, someone posted about Oneness Kids Club in Hachioji. Is it still running? A colleague of mine is looking for daycare for her 18mth old baby in the Hachioji area. Any suggestions?

By Ignatius Guntur on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 6:47 pm:

Hi,

We are new to Tokyo, and our stay will be 2yrs+.
Our residence is nearer to Kita-Akabane station.
I want to join my son (aged 2yrs) in some pre-school or day care to pick Japanese quickly. Language should not be a problem to his education. At the same time my wife also willing to work in english pre-schools. If both requirement solve with one institution, then I can stay here as long as possible. Please provide info regarding pre-schools or day care centers near by to my residence or in Saikyo-line (JR line).

Thanks,
Ignatius

By Cornelia on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 10:48 am:

Hi Ignatius,
There's a school called Kids Talk at Akabane station. It's on the International school list at this web site in the FYI section. They might need a native English speaking teacher. It's run by a woman from the UK and her Japanese partner.

By Sarahc on Monday, October 8, 2007 - 3:39 pm:

Hi there

Just wondering if anyone knows of any childcare centres in Toyko that use webcams for parents to see their children during the day.

If so, do you know how much they charge and who provides them?

Thanks!

By Sraboni on Tuesday, October 9, 2007 - 12:36 pm:

Hi Sarah,

I know there is a preschool in Nishi kasai - Kid's World, they actually have many other branches in Tokyo too, have a webcam system in the school. You can watch your children anytime you want to. I am sorry, I couldn't find their website. You can try to look for it in google.

Regards,
Sraboni

By Lyra_sanjo on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 6:38 pm:

hello everyone.Anyone who can help me to find a day care around fuchu and hachioji.I would like to work again.I have a 1 year old baby and no one who can take care of him.please help me..

By Shoham on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 9:47 pm:

hi everyone.
Do you have any recommendation for nurseries or kindergartens in Shibuya-ku, Yoyogi area? I know that finding a place in a public daycare in the mid of the year is very difficult but I would appreciate any suggestions regarding both public and private ones.
Thanks

By Acraime on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 9:17 pm:

The process quality of approved daycare centers is rather obscure due to the lack of consensus on its measurement and comprehensive empirical studies. Still, we can make some speculations based on the available information.

Foremost, Japanese approved daycare centers are considered as child welfare institutions to nurture children who lack custodial care at home. Daycare centers are by no means preparatory institutions for an academic head-start, though they have evolved into offering some educational components, which are similar to yochien (kindergartens).

By Multiage on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 12:04 pm:

We are a new international school located 3 minutes from Makuharihongo Station on the sobu line.

Our daytime classes cater to students from age 1.5 to 8 years old, while after school classes cater to students from 4 years old.

We provide multiage aducation in English by native English teachers. Having classes with the same age students can cause pressure to perform, we eliminate this stress by grouping our students based on their English abilities rather than their age. Multiage education Academy provides an educational system that is suitable for individual growth and understanding.

We also have begun our role in a sister school relationship with a preschool in Sydney, Australia. We feel that having an overseas school to communicate with will be a great way for our students to learn and respect other cultures and open many doors to our student's futures.

If you would like to know more about Multiage education Academy please visit our website at

www.multiage-education-academy.com

or feel free to call us on

043-309-5887

Looking forward to hearing from you soon!

By Prantik on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 3:02 pm:

Hi ,

We are staying in Japan since first week of May. I have a 14 month old kid. We donft speak or understand a lot of Japanese We visited local ward office at Kawasaki in search of day care and then made number of phone calls from ward office and using our Japanese speaking friends to many of the government day care in and around Kawasaki for vacany. It looks like all of them are pretty much full and I need to wait at least 6 months for next vacancy to open up.

Some of the local day care offices are also telling us that the kid needs to understand simple instruction in Japanese to get into government day cares. I think thatfs a big challenge for such a small kid. I somehow felt they are either reluctant to accpet a gaijin kid or parents who donft speak japanese.This is my personal opinion.I might be wrong because of lack of japanese language skill.

My wife has a job offer which she is not able to accept because of the day care issue. I will really appreciate if any one can point us to day cares /nursuries play schools in and around Kawasaki, Yokohama area which might accept gaijin kids in middle of session or suggest some other options that we can try except baby sitters (they are pretty expensive!)

Prantik
+81 90 9311 4222

By Abeer_fawaz on Tuesday, March 26, 2013 - 5:57 am:

Hello
How are you?
i am Egyptian assistant lecturer coming as scholar to osaka medical college in takatsuki at middle may, my daughter 5 months at that time.
i have no one to look for her.
They told me that public nurseries are too crowded and i may not find space for here, my husband is a dentist and involved as trainee in the same college.
i want to know before coming, what about private, they will take my daughter or not?? because if not, i will cancel my mission and stay at my country.
How much will the private nursery cost me for my baby age? are Place for baby available in private nurseries close to my college? wlll private nursery take my baby immediately or i will be in waiting list?
what should i do??
please help me
Yours
Abeer

By Abeer_fawaz on Tuesday, March 26, 2013 - 6:18 am:

Hello
How are you?
i am Egyptian assistant lecturer coming as scholar to osaka medical college in takatsuki at middle may, my daughter 5 months at that time.
i have no one to look for her.
They told me that public nurseries are too crowded and i may not find space for here, my husband is a dentist and involved as trainee in the same college.
i want to know before coming, what about private, they will take my daughter or not?? because if not, i will cancel my mission and stay at my country.
How much will the private nursery cost me for my baby age? are Place for baby available in private nurseries close to my college? wlll private nursery take my baby immediately or i will be in waiting list?
what should i do??
please help me
Yours
Abeer

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: