Edit Profile
Troubleshooting
Contact Admin

For Admins
Forum Software

.Mishaps / Prevention

Japan With Kids - Forums: Day Care in Japan: .Mishaps / Prevention
By Cornelia on Saturday, July 14, 2001 - 11:19 am:

I am posting this not to create alarm but to add to the pool of information. Things like this happen in the USA also, as well as everywhere else in the world, I am sure. But I think it is important to know what the a likely course of events is in Japan in cases of negligence in child care. I am not sure how I feel about executives taking the punishment for local staff negligence for example. I would like to find more details on this case.

---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
Day-care execs indicted over baby's death

Saturday, July 14, 2001 at 10:00 JST
TOKYO ETwo executives of a nationwide chain of day nurseries were indicted Friday for negligence resulting in the death in March of a 4-month-old baby boy at a Tokyo nursery, prosecutors said.

Indicted were Masamitsu Maekawa, president of Chibicco-en, and Kozue Maedomari, a director of the company, which is based in Toyama, Toyama Prefecture, the Tokyo District Public Prosecutors Office said. (Kyodo News)

By Cornelia on Tuesday, March 12, 2002 - 12:17 am:

A list of things to look for when considering entrusting your infant to a nursing care provider:

Excerpted from:
Partial Translation of 130 Little Cries first published in December 1982, Republished in April 1997

http://www.hbs.ne.jp/home/mammy/0401-e.htm

"To summarize:
The two absolute minimum requirements for preventing fatalities are that caregivers (1) have children in their field of vision at all times, and (2) have a good grasp of children's state of health. Other, more specific prerequisites for preventing fatalities would include: (1) paying close attention to infants who are sleeping face down, (2) having a good grasp of children's state of health at all times and paying especially close attention to those who seem to be sick, (3) removing obstacles that may obstruct caregivers' field of vision, (4) establishing a sound system of caring for children during their afternoon nap periods, and (5) securing a number of caregivers large enough to meet the above- listed requirements."

The above web site makes some horrific reading but in this particular case I would claim that "ignorance is CERTAINLY NOT bliss". I know that in my daughter's daycare they now (and in 1997 when she first started there) have one caretaker in the room with the babies during the nap period. However, like so many publicly operated and endorsed nursery facilities, they do not accept babies under 4 months of age, and due to limited facilities often not until the babies are already older. Since most working mothers have used up their birth holiday allowance after two months, they are forced to use private and sometimes un-licenced facilities for child care purposes. Particularly in these cases, should the above check list be stringently used since statistically the number of infant deaths is higher in these types of nurseries.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: