Edit Profile
Troubleshooting
Contact Admin

For Admins
Forum Software

.24 Hour Childcare

Japan With Kids - Forums: Day Care in Japan: .24 Hour Childcare
By Nathalie on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 11:40 pm:

I don't know exactly where to put this message. I'm going to have my 2nd baby in Japan (Aiiku hospital) early June. As I'm not sure my family can be in Japan at that time, and my husband wants to be with me during the delivery, I wonder what to do with my 1st child (age 2). Some friends could look after him at day time, but if I have to go to the hospital in the middle of the night, I'd like to avoid disturbing them. Do you know of any day care services that would take him anytime without notice ? I'm going to ask Aiiku if we could bring him there, maybe he could stay in a room, but I doubt it.
Any ideas, advice ?
Thanks a lot.

By Caroline on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 9:24 am:

Where do you live Nathalie? In my city, Musashino-shi, there is a 24-hour service designed to help parents deal with emergencies. So there might be one in your area too...

By Karen on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 5:28 pm:

I say go ahead and disturb your friends!! In all reality, I'm sure that they wouldn't mind, especially if it's another mother who can understand your difficult situation. What do you think? Heck, if you live close to me, I'LL gladly babysit him in case of a nighttime dash to the hospital!! My little guy would love the playmate.
Karen

By Nathalie on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 10:37 pm:

Caroline, I live in Minato-ku, and will ask the ward office if they have anything. I know they have a regular day care center where you can leave your child in case you get sick, for up to 1 month. But I don't think it's 24 hours, and you cannot reserve a place in advance. You just have to hope they are not full at the time you need them.
I'll let you know if I find anything, otherwise I guess I'll have to disturb some friends!
Karen, I appreciate the proposal, but I think we live quite far away from what I saw in your profile...

By Cornelia on Tuesday, April 1, 2003 - 5:05 pm:

I did get sick once and my baby was placed in a 24 hour facility in Kinshicho for 6 days. This was done with the help of the encho-sensai at my daughter's daycare center who called in the Tokyo City Metropolitan Mother/Child welfare worker and the whole transfer went very smoothly. (not that I was 100% on top of things -- I was quite ill) Needless to say this was after I fell over in the street and my daughter spent one night at the apartment of one of her daycare classmates. So need was clearly exhibited.

You can apply to put your first child(ren) into public daycare for four months before and after a new birth on a space available basis, but it is decidedly not 24 hour care (if you live in Minato-ku they seem to have more space than the other wards).

I suspect that it is unlikely they (the government) would pull out the cavalry for your particular situation, simply because they would assume that you have resources (you are married and your husband is employed). In fact, depending on the age of the staff person, he/she might even be surprised that your husband intends to be there for the birth! I think I can recommend a couple of very nice Philippinas who might be available on very short notice to step in.

I imagine that by now you've had a chance to ask Aiku about bringing the two year old with you and I for one would be very interested in hearing the answer!

The Children's hospital in Setagaya-ku has facilities above and beyond anything normally encountered in Japan. For example, they have a guest house for parents of sick children. You might try checking out their facilities and possibly switching to their hospital (they also have an obstetrics unit). Check out the discussion on hospitals under the "Health Issues" section of these discussion forums.

By Eliza on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 3:16 pm:

Hi! Cornelia, could you tell me the name of that 24 hours open day care from Kinshicho? Thank you very much!

By Cornelia on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 10:34 am:

Dear Eliza, that was years ago now. Even when I went to pick up my daughter at the time, I simply focused on the finding the address. I can't read kanji so I basically ignore them. It was a government facility and included sections for older kids (with family disasters). If you need 24 hour childcare because of an emergency you have to go through a welfare worker at the Tokyo City Government. You may have to initiate your request through your local ward office which I can almost guarantee will be a lousy experience (at least if you live in Bunkyo-ku). If you are hospitalized (as in a car crash or something), a welfare worker will come to the hospital and work with the hospital welfare section and your child/children will be whisked away to a safe place. But if you walk in off the street, it is very unlikely that anyone will believe you really need emergency 24 hour childcare. Didn't you know? All proper Japanese have a handy little grandmother waiting in the shadows to take over in emergencies!

As for non-emergency 24 hour childcare. I've never heard of it. Usually one hires a nanny to come to the home. I've had to do that for business trips to the USA.

By Caroline on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 1:43 pm:

Musashino ward has a 24-hour childcare service. It is primarily for emergency situations like when you have to give birth and there is no one to take care of your other kids. But I think you can also use the service for work-related reasons and others. Actually there are 2 services. One is AOBA which is a childcare facility, and the other is Himawari Mama, which sends out caregives to your home. Both are quite affordable and service is outstanding. Other wards may have similar services.

By Cornelia on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 10:36 pm:

Oh wow, the beauty of this site, when a subject gets peoples' attention! I'm so pleased that I am WRONG! Here is further information from "M" out in Tsukuba City:

>>Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006
Hi Cornelia,
I was going to post some names of the childcare services that are open 24 hours on JWK, but there are too many.

I made a quick webpage with some names. I did it in an hour or so, so the webpage isn't even finished.
http://ibarascal.web.fc2.com/parentingliving/24hr.daycare.html

I personally used Childland Tsukuba a couple of years ago, and was happy with them.
More later, M
<<

By Menaka on Saturday, August 4, 2007 - 10:44 pm:

Hello, I am looking for job in day care center. I am good in English, basics of Japanese language. I have 2 years' experience of teaching kids in Nepal. Please contact me on my email address. My visa lasts up to July 2009.
Menaka Regmi

By Menaka on Saturday, August 4, 2007 - 10:46 pm:

Hello, I am looking for job in day care center. I am good in English, basics of Japanese language. I have 2 years' experience of teaching kids in Nepal. Please contact me on my email address.
Menaka Regmi

By Alina on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 7:39 pm:

Hello, I am looking for job in day care center. I am good in English,japanese,romanian and basic spanish.i have resident visa in japan.i am a mom of a 2 years old boy.Please contact me on my email address.tomonaga alina

By Businescares on Thursday, April 3, 2008 - 5:04 pm:

Do you think its safe enough leaving your child at a daycare during random hours. I think its better if you hire a nanny. She would be helpful even after your delivery period.
http://www.daycaresurvey.com

By Yasuko87 on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 6:09 pm:

I am looking for an English speaking family to watch my 5-year old son for five days while my husband and I will travel for a business trip. I live in Chiba but I can travel to Tokyo. Please e-mail me if you are interested.

By Natasha on Saturday, February 4, 2012 - 10:33 pm:

The link above in the post dated Jan. 31, 2006 is still valid. Yippee! It is great to see all those options!

http://www.geocities.jp/fish_in_japan/Parenting/24HrDaycare.html

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: