Getting Started
Register Here
Edit Profile
Troubleshooting
Contact Admin

For Admins
Forum Software

Hospitalization of single mother with young child

Japan With Kids - Forums: Day Care in Japan: Hospitalization of single mother with young child
By Martine on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 12:31 pm:

Would anybody have any hint or idea about what to do when a single mother has to remain in hospital for weeks or months and there is nobody home to take care of the kid?
I have a 5 year old daughter and might have to remain some months in hospital for a difficult pregnancy. I am trying to figure out what to do with my daughter and how to manage to remain as close to her as possible. Does anyone know of hospitals with full time child care facilities, or this sort of thing? Thank you for any hint!

By Edlyn on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 2:40 pm:

First, let me say how sorry I am for your difficult predicament. My experience in hospitals both in Japan and the United States is they are not very child friendly places. I was only able to see my children a couple of times in the waiting room during my three week stay at Jikei.

When I was going into the hospital my doctor's insisted that I hire somebody or bring somebody from America to help with my children before they would admit me. As the doctor's in Japan like to work closely with a family member (and often tell them more about your medical condition than they tell you) my husband was required to be at the hospital often to meet with doctor's and help with my care. You may be familiar already with hospital procedures in Japan. We are very glad that we were able to have my goddaughter come to Japan for two weeks.

Now, having said this, I think you best bet would be to find a relative to come and stay with your daughter. Maybe from your home country? If this is not possible, you could hire an aupair or a nanny. There are some Japanese au pairs and I am currently interviewing a Japanese woman to babysit my children but I know she is looking for a full-time housekeeping babysitting job. She has agreed to help me out until she finds something more permanent. There are also many Filipina women who post on the board that they are looking for a position and somebody to sponsor them. Perhaps you could sponsor somebody.

If these options are too costly for you you might also see about offering room and board in exchange for watching your child. There might be somebody from your home country or from another country who is would like to spend some time in Japan. If you don't know the person you of course need to be extremely cautious as they will be minding your child but you might send out messages to friends to see if they know anybody who would like to stay with you and help with your daughter.

You also might go down to your Kuyakusho at the Child Welfare section and see if they can help. I imagine your daughter is already in yochien and I have never heard for somebody going to yochien and then hoikuen afterwards but maybe there is some sort of assistance for people who can't pick up their children from yochien. I often wonder about this when I am picking up my daughter.

By Starenglish on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 2:52 pm:

I am sorry to hear about your situation :-(
I am a Japanese single mother of 4 year old kid living in Tokyo. If you would like to visit Kuyakusho (or Shiyakusho? any public office) and need assistance in Japanese language, please let me know! I hope things works out well with you!

By Rebecca_s on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 3:52 pm:

There is somthing called "You-go-shisetsu" orphanage/nursing home/foster home/childrens home. In special cases that require this sort of care a child can be left for periods of time in these "homes". Maybe you can have someone look for yougoshisetsu in your area. Or ask at the ward office.

I do not really know the specifics about these homes. I have heard of them because I was having problems and a good friend of mine located a couple of these near me (kobe area). I didn't end up using them. But I was thankful to know this type of place existed.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: