Getting Started
Register Here
Edit Profile
Troubleshooting
Contact Admin

For Admins
Forum Software

Recommended hoikuen/ pre-schools in Shibuya-ku

Japan With Kids - Forums: Day Care in Japan: Recommended hoikuen/ pre-schools in Shibuya-ku
By Sarahl on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 9:57 pm:

Hi All,

I'm hoping to send my daughter to a Japanese pre-school, once she's about two years old. I visited the Shibuya ward office who explained how hard it is to secure a place in the public hoikuen. I will apply, but if I don't get lucky I will probably opt for a private Japanese pre-school instead. So I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations? I live in Hachiyamacho, which is near Daikanyama, and not far from Ebisu, Naka Meguro, and Shibuya. Fairly close to home would be preferable. I'd really appreciate advice from anyone who knows about the options in this part of Tokyo.

Best wishes, Sarah

By Bunny on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 11:19 pm:

Look elsewhere on this forum for talk about how to get a place at a public nursery. You're actually leaving it a bit late since it's nominally November for April admission. Still, if you don't push, of course you'll get the "its really hard to get a place" line.

Is Kishibe a bit too far? This is the oldest private kindergarten in Japan. (Former co-worker's relatives run it.)

http://www.ans.co.jp/k/kishibe/

By Edlyn on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 7:36 am:

The public hoikuens are for working Moms or, if you have special need, like a new baby or medical situation they will determine how much time you are eligible for. At least that is the case for Shibuya where we also live. When we went down to find a place for my 3 year old they told me how many days a week he was eligible to go and the schools that had openings. They are not necessarily in your neighborhood. I was anticipating a change in my work schedule so we went down mid-year and there were three for us to choose from. One wasn't too far but we weren't looking for hoikuen. I really wanted a list of private yochiens since the public yochiens in Shibuya start at 4 but they didn't have that information.

If you wait until she is 3 then you can send her to a private yochien. That is what we are doing until my son is 4 when he will attend the public yochien my daughter attends. I know there is a Montessori inspired school near Omotesando that takes 2 year olds but I believe that most private yochiens are for three year olds.

Good luck!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: