Getting Started
Register Here
Edit Profile
Troubleshooting
Contact Admin

For Admins
Forum Software

Charities that take stuff

Japan With Kids - Forums: Second Hand/Recycle/Flea Markets: Charities that take stuff
By Sandy on Thursday, December 8, 2011 - 11:08 am:

Tokyo: Toyocho YMCA Annual Christmas Open House and Bazaar
2011 Dec. 23 from 10:00-16:00
at Toyocho center in Koto-ku
Map: http://tokyo.ymca.or.jp/japanese/english/access.html
Cheap food, crafts, flea market, new stuff market, some games for kids, entertainment.

Donated clothing, games, etc. accepted. Please call for details regarding drop-off. Items will be accepted for re-sale until December 22 at the Toyocho center (you can send items by Yu-pak if you can not drop them off).
http://tokyo.ymca.or.jp

By Cornelia on Monday, April 17, 2006 - 12:34 pm:

If you have a car, there are also bins outside the Salvation Army location, and you can just put your stuff in there (if you don't want to wait for their pick up). (See the discussion specific to the Salvation Army Tokyo in this section for the details).

By Regina M. Splees on Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 7:58 am:

Our Non Profit Center in Fujisawa is having its annual Autumn Fest fundraiser. We are looking for new items to give away for our raffle. If anyone has anything of interest please contact Regina Splees at reginasplees@hotmail.com
Items can be sent COD, but I would prefer a description of the item first ! Thank you.

By Tara on Sunday, September 4, 2005 - 1:27 pm:

Akatsuki no Mura runs a weekly bazaar to raise funds for its group home for people with psychological difficulties. The home has a work center attached to it and it focuses on training people to become able to hold down a job, live independently, and contribute to society. This is the same Akatsuki no Mura that is better known for having helped some 350 Vietnamese refugees over the years.

To earn money, they collect scrap iron and paper/cardboard for recycling and also hold a weekly bazaar all throughout the year.

They are always looking for serviceable clothing (lightly used is fine but please, not something old that you didn't have the heart to throw away), trinkets, appliances, you name it. They have a kimono corner and a jeans corner, too, if you have either of those to give away.

*Appliances that need light repairs are also accepted*, but you should attach a note
explaining what the problem is (writing the note in English is OK). I believe that they DO NOT accept food and books. (Those gift boxes of canned cooking oil/seaweed/crab meat/etc. that people send out during gift season would be an exception.)

Send your packages by mail or by takkyubin to:

in English:
Akatsuki no Mura
Nishi Omuro-machi 448-3
Maebashi-shi, Gunma 379-2104
Tel: 027-285-4449
Fax: 027-285-4997

in Japanese:
‚̑
379-2104@QnOs厺
448-3

Post office mailing might be cheaper -- remember, there is a 100 yen discount on listed mailing fees if you take your package in to the post office instead of having them pick it up at your door, and there is a further discount of 50 yen if you send another package to the same destination within one year (but you need to keep your receipt from the first package to prove that it is the same destination). If you take two packages in at the same time, you would get a 150 yen discount off the postage of each one, not just the second "repeater" box. Also, the post office accepts boxes with L x W x H dimensions of up to 170 cm/30 kg, whereas a convenience store will accept boxes only up to 160 cm and I think 20 kg. Info on postal rates (in Japanese only): www.post.japanpost.jp/service/parcel/you_pack/index.html

By Scott Hancock on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 11:01 pm:

We were just at FCC today because it was the last day to drop stuff off until next year. They are going through a MOUNTAIN of stuff there for a bazaar in October.
FCC (Franciscan Chapel Center) is in Roppongi. Their site is here: http://www2.gol.com/users/fcchapel/
For some reason, the link about the bazaar is not working. I think it was 15-16. But, please check with them to be sure.

By Gaijinmom on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 10:41 pm:

If you want to give away clothes, furniture, appliances, please also check with the following organisations. Email them to find out when you can drop off donations.

Tokyo Baptist Church:
Email: info@tokyobaptist.org

Franciscan Chapel in Roppongi:
Email: fcchapel@gol.com

By Cornelia on Saturday, September 18, 2004 - 10:46 am:

Fontana housing picks up some large items 03-3382-0151, quickly and at no charge, to use in the housing they rent out to foreigners, ask for Madoka (speaks really good Englis) fax: 3382-0018 to fax them a map to your house. This is good if you really need to empty out your apartment quickly and don't want to pay gomi fees. They showed up on the same day that she called them for a friend of mine.

By Daniella Wong on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 2:15 pm:

I have 2 umbrella strollers that I want to give away. One is a graco and the other is maclaren. They are older models and still functionable. If anyone is interested please e-mail me at wibco@yahoo.com and I can meet them somewhere to give them the strollers.

By Admin on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 2:35 pm:

Hi, have you heard of the yahoo groups e-list called frugaljapan@yahoogroups.com ?
They started a second e-list called freecyclejapan. Send a blank email to freecyclejapan-subscribe@yahoogroups.com.

Anyone can list anything as long as it is free, and as long as it can be shipped within or to Japan.

The transaction takes place OFF LIST.

Also you can list free giveaways at http://www.edesho.com and include a photograph. And finally you can list giveaways right here on this website in the Giveaways section of the "classifieds".

By Ruth Davis on Saturday, February 14, 2004 - 5:21 pm:

I have a lot of old furniture, clothes and toys that I want to give away or sell cheaply. The main thing is that I want someone to pick it up. I'm happy for someone to just take it all away for free and use/sell/give to charity whatever is useful. There's probably a small van-load. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can do this? I've tried posting a few advertisments in various places but no success so far.

By Melissa Mcnulty on Friday, January 3, 2003 - 9:10 pm:

Hi all,

We are cleaning out our apartment and have a lot of toys and clothes that our daughter has grown out of. Does anyone know of any charitable organizations/orphanages/shelters that we could donate these to?

By Aussie Mum 06 on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 8:34 pm:

I am in the process of tidying out the toy room and wondered if anyone knew of a charity that would take toys. If so, do they collect or where can I deliver to? - they are still in good condition.

Thanks

By Yuko Kubota on Sunday, April 3, 2005 - 3:03 am:

Hi Thomas,

You should ask at your local kuyakusho to see if they know any places that accept donation, or to see if they have any classified bulletin boards, or to see if they have any non-profitable "toy doctors" that will fix your toys for you. Otherwise, I often ask my neighbors to see if they'd like some second hand stuff for their children.

By Thomas R. Moore on Saturday, April 2, 2005 - 7:32 pm:

My wife and son have just completed a massive toy culling and there are a lot of toys being relegated to the gomi! I was wondering if there are any agencies that would accept semi-broken toys or complete toys that could be given to needy children. I don't check this board often so it would be best if you resond to my personal address...thomas_r._moore[at]ringo.net or nomamok[at]yahoo.com
I would really hate to just throw these toys away if there is a child who can get some enjoyment from them!
thomas in misato

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: