Contact Admin

For Admins
Forum Software

Books

Japan With Kids - Forums: Second Hand/Recycle/Flea Markets: Books
By Sandy on Friday, May 2, 2008 - 11:27 pm:

New info TOKYO:
Bondi Books (used to be in Kichijoji)
"We have moved to a smaller space in Jimbocho and are focusing only on rare and antiquarian books.
Open for business Friday, February 22, 2008!"
http://www.bondibooks.com

And I don't see mentioned above
Good Day Books in Ebisu, Tokyo
which has been around since 1992! Definitely should be listed:
http://www.gooddaybooks.com/

By Cornelia on Tuesday, May 9, 2006 - 11:42 pm:

TOKYO: Book Swap! (and other small items OK such as CDs, computer games, etc.): Yes, another one, because the last one was a success (we, the participants think...)
There will be a book swap on 3 June from 13:00 - 15:30.

The venue will be my home at just 80 meters from Takinogawa 1-chome station on the Toden Arakawa tram line. If the weather is good, a nice combination for the day might be to go to Asukayama Park before or after the swap.

There will be a Y200 charge to cover the cost of coffee, tea and wine. Come early or come late, there should be plenty of books! There are still many books left over from the swap on 3 May too. Asukayama park is a 6 minute walk from here, and has a really superb playground. See this link for details: www.tokyowithkids.com/entertainment/municipalparks/asukayamapark.html
Station options:
Oji station (10 minute walk)
Nishigahara station (10 minute walk)
Nishisugamo station (8 minute walk)
Takinogawa 1-chome station (1 minute)
Please email me for a map image and instructions.

By Cornelia on Sunday, April 30, 2006 - 10:29 pm:

TOKYO: Book Swap! (and other small items OK such as CDs, computer games, etc.):
For those of you staying in Tokyo during Golden Week, there will be a book swap on 3 May from 13:00 - 15:30.

The venue will be my home at just 80 meters from Takinogawa 1-chome station on the Toden Arakawa tram line. If the weather is good, a nice combination for the day might be to go to Asukayama Park before or after the swap.

There will be a Y200 charge to cover the cost of coffee, tea and wine. Come early or come late, there should be plenty of books! I'm doing this with Amanda and Ushka's encouragement, thank you Amanda and Ushka. Asukayama park is a 6 minute walk from here, and has a really superb playground. See this link for details: www.tokyowithkids.com/entertainment/municipalparks/asukayamapark.html
Station options:
Oji station (10 minute walk)
Nishigahara station (10 minute walk)
Nishisugamo station (8 minute walk)
Takinogawa 1-chome station (1 minute)
Please email me for a map image and instructions.

By Cornelia on Monday, April 17, 2006 - 12:32 pm:

Here I was thinking that it was quite a bit smaller than last year! I was disappointed that I could only get 1, 2, 5, and 6 of one series when I went last Thursday. I guess now I have to find time to go again somehow... grrr.

By Bethan Hutton on Monday, April 17, 2006 - 11:24 am:

Re Kinokuniya book sale - I gather that they are putting out new books each day as space opens up on the tables and shelves, so it is still worth going this week and next.

By Amanda Jones on Thursday, April 13, 2006 - 4:50 pm:

Bethan,
Thanks for the posting about the sale at Kinokuniya! They had a great selection of children's books and they are even shipping them to my house for free. I am not sure how much you have to spend to qualify for the free shipping (I spent 10,000 yen) but it was definitely better than hauling all those books home.
Amanda

By Bethan Hutton on Wednesday, April 12, 2006 - 11:20 pm:

Kinokuniya's annual foreign book sale is on again this week - a bit later than usual, and this time it's actually being held within the Shinjuku Minami branch, rather than in Takashimaya department store next door. It started today (Wednesday April 12th) and goes on until April 23rd, but I imagine most of the best stuff will go in the first few days.

The sale of children's and travel books is on the 6th floor, and novels/academic texts/design/cookery etc books are on the 3rd floor. They also seem to have quite a lot of German and French books on sale on the 3rd floor. Everything is half price or less (eg children's books Y330/Y550/Y950 depending on size, hardback/paperback etc, novels Y420 or Y730, and so on). tel: 03-5361-3301

By Bethan Hutton on Friday, February 3, 2006 - 7:17 pm:

By the way, Caravan Books in Ikebukuro, mentioned in a previous post on this page, closed down last year, as did the Blue Parrot branch in Akihabara.

By Bethan Hutton on Friday, February 3, 2006 - 7:13 pm:

Book Sale at Blue Parrot second-hand bookstore in Takadanobaba - I picked up a flyer advertising this: from February 5th (Sunday) till February 12th all books, CDs, DVDs and magazines will be discounted by 20-90 per cent.

The Blue Parrot is a few minutes' walk from Takadanobaba station on the Yamanote line between Shinjuku and Ikebukuro. Open 11am to 9.30pm every day, tel (03) 3202 3671. For a map and details see their webpage:
www.blueparrottokyo.com

The stock is very varied, and includes plenty of children's books, books on Japan and so on as well as general fiction.

By Jellund on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 3:11 pm:

I'm starting up a bookclub with some friends, this will involve everyone who joins putting together 1 paperback book or cookbook and 2-3 magazines and sending them off every month to the next person on the list. It's a nice economical way to get some more English reading material and some new authors recommended to you. If you are interested in joining, please email me.

By Natasha Watts on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 3:01 pm:

Cornelia,
Thanks for the info, the site you mentioned is great!! I will deffinitely use it in the near future.
Natasha

By Cornelia on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 12:54 pm:

If you are shopping for second hand books via internet, I found this search tool by an Israeli to be amazingly good! You can pop in a title, author or ISDN number and it will give you all the editions. Then you pick one of the editions and it searches and sorts by price more than 100 different book sellers (including all the second hand marketplaces such as half.com, ebay, abebooks, etc): http://www.FetchBook.Info

By Kaneko on Wednesday, September 14, 2005 - 12:41 am:

I am looking for second hand English and French books, CD, VCD, etc for my children (2 year old girl and a 5 years old boy).
We live in Fukuoka right now but will travel to Tokyo in December. If you are in a hurry to sell, my family live in Tokyo and can pick up anytime.
Thank you.

By Admin on Monday, June 6, 2005 - 2:35 pm:

TOKYO, JUNE 11 -- A used Book Sale of largely English language books will be held Saturday 6/11 from 11am-5pm at the Pink Cow in Shibuya near Jingumae. http://www.thepinkcow.com

Purchases by US citizens benefit Democrats Abroad; purchases by non-US citizens benefit http://www.roomtoread.org building schools and libraries in SE Asia.

By Bethan Hutton on Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 10:24 pm:

English books - Kinokuniya in Shinjuku is having a huge sale of foreign books, on now until Monday March 14th.

I was there today, and they had a big table full of good quality, current children's books (picture books and paperbacks, eg all the Harry Potter books in both British and American versions) mostly at Y550 each, as well as some audio books, calendars, all categories of adult fiction and non-fiction, including dictionaries, travel guides (Lonely Planet, Fodors etc), books on business, society, science, computers and so on, and lots of glossy cookery, interior design etc. There were also small sections with French and German books, and a handful of children's books in other languages. Paperbacks were mostly either Y420 or Y730, hardbacks Y1,000-Y2,000.

The sale is not in Kinokuniya itself, but on the 10th floor of the Takashimaya department store. The sale closes at 4pm on Monday 14th.

note from Admin: This was originally posted under the For Sale section of the Classifieds. I've moved this post here because even though these are new books, this rather good sale happens every year around the same time. Shinjuku Takashimaya tel: 03-5361-1111

By Bethan Hutton on Wednesday, February 9, 2005 - 10:26 am:

Children's books

We have ended up with two copies of these books, so I'm giving the spares away. They are all modern classics, suitable for roughly age 5 to 10. Some are brand new, some are slightly battered second-hand copies, but they are all great reads!

The Story of Doctor Doolittle - Hugh Lofting
Martin's Mice - Dick King-Smith (author of Babe)
James and the Giant Peach, The Twits, The Magic Finger - all by Roald Dahl
The Phantom Tollbooth - Norton Juster

I am happy to give them away to anyone with a keen young reader, but if you have anything you'd like to swap, that would be even better (particularly anything suitable for a 6-year-old boy who's just read all of Harry Potter and loves anything to do with magic, or a 2-year-old girl keen on dinosaurs, animals and princesses).

edobaby@hotmail.com

By Sarah Yasuhara on Monday, January 31, 2005 - 3:04 pm:

Would love the Teletubbies tapes! Do any of the following appeal to you as potential trades?

Botchan, Natsume Soseki (humour, old JP style)
The Tale of Murasaki, Liza Dalby (also wrote 'Geisha')
Elegance, Kathleen Tessaro (British chick Lit quite funny)
The Public Confessions of a Middle Aged Woman, by Sue Townsend
Thinks, David Lodge (funny and intellectual fiction)
Audrey Hepburn's Neck, by Alan Brown, (romance and mystery set in Japan)
Tokyo, Mo Hayder, (thriller)
The Showgirl and the Brumby, by Lucy Lehman (Australian tale of two families
well written for its type)
Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen
Sidetracked Home Executives, Pam Young, (how to get organised at home)

Cheers, Sarah

By Admin on Monday, January 31, 2005 - 1:39 pm:

Dear Ushka (Jellund),
I would like to pass on books that I've finished too, but I don't really want to receive things that I'm not too interested in. I would rather "trade" so that a bit of choice were involved on both sides. Also I don't subscribe to any magazines any more (no time really to read everything these days).

I was thinking it would be fun to organize an event, where those who were interested could meet each other and trade books. The real purpose would be to make some new friends. I live in Tokyo, so if I were organizing it I would try for a venue in Tokyo probably. I am in fact at the beginning of the moving house process, and with luck will soon be in a place big enough to actually throw a trading party AT HOME with pot luck and beverages! But in the meantime, we could also have a book trade via this discussion. I guess I have to go first now that I've written all this... [drum roll]... at great risk of showing my inner self (!) I have the following list of books available for trade one to one (yep, I've read all of these except one, please no giggles... I read for different reasons on different days):

• Michael Crichton -- "Rising Sun"
  • Scott Turow - "Reversible Errors"
  • Sara Paretsky -- "Deadlock"
  • Mary Higgins Clark - "The Lottery Winner"
  • Maeve Binchy -- "Circle of Friends"
  • K.K. Beck -- "Young Mrs. Cavendish and the Kaiser's Men" (WWI in San Francisco, spies, kidnappers, etc.)
  • Dick Francis -- "Come to Grief" (racetrack mystery/murder, audio book running time 3 hours, new still in shrink wrap)
  • Dick Francis -- "Wild Horses" (racetrack mystery/murder)
  • Piers Anthony -- "The Apprentice Adept" (science fiction)
  • Jeffrey Archer - "To Cut a Long Story Short"
  • Ursule Molinaro -- "Fat Skeletons" (very funny I thought. Women will probably like this better than men. Quality paperback Serif New Fiction 1993)
  • Barbara Vine -- "Asta's Book" (murder mystery)
  • Georgette Heyer -- "Envious Casca" (murder mystery)
  • Dan Brown -- "Angels & Demons"
  • John Grisham -- "The Last Juror"
  • Fraser Stewart Books -- "Chinese & Japanese Cooking"
  • Rita Mae Brown -- "Rubyfruit Jungle"
Information on all of these books can be found at http://www.amazon.com They are all paperbacks and fit into your purse for reading on trains.

By Shibuya on Monday, January 31, 2005 - 11:53 am:

You can send books or take them yourself to:
The Blue Parrot http://www.blueparrottokyo.com/
They have locations in Akihabara and Takadanobaba

By Moemi & Ririka on Monday, January 31, 2005 - 11:47 am:

Caravan Books http://www.booksatcaravan.com/caravan.html
2-21-5 Ikebukuro, Toshima-ku, Tokyo
Tel. 03-5951-6406 Open Every Day from 11:00am to 9:00pm

By Marilyn M. on Monday, January 31, 2005 - 10:46 am:

does anyone know where i can sell off some of my paperbacks? eg a second hand store that collects used books?

By Jellund on Sunday, January 16, 2005 - 12:36 pm:

Ok since I am in posting mode today here is another idea I have been thinking about recently....

A book circle - basically if people were interested we could create some kind of postal book circle. To start with each interested person could put together, for example, 2 magazines, 1 paperback adults book and 1 kids book and send them to one of the other people on the list. After a month everyone would repackage up the items they received the month before and send them on.

If this were to work it should cost maybe between 500-1000yen and would mean that each person had 2 magazines, a book and a kids book to read each month, much cheaper than buying new and I know I would appreciate having new authors and magazines recommended to me in this way.

It could also be something to look forward to on a monthly basis as I love getting stuff in the mail and also love getting mags to read. :)

So, does anyone have any experience of doing something like this? Would it work? Please email me if you are interested

By Steve K on Tuesday, November 2, 2004 - 1:57 pm:

Book-Off in Oimachi (near Shinagawa, Keihin Tohoku line) has kid's clothes and toys too. It's located on the third floor of the old Hankyu Department Store building.

Note from Admin: The homepage in Japanese is http://www.bookoff.co.jp/

By Cornelia on Monday, November 1, 2004 - 10:48 am:

Book-Off is a chain of second hand bookstores (yellow background with big fat blue lettering) that sells books, CDs, Videos, DVDs and Nintendo games. Granted most of the books are in Japanese, but sometimes they have a few items in English sort of by accident. The movies are often in English with Japanese subtitles. You can ask for some help determining the language if you are not sure. There are branches all over, but I am familiar with Harajuku (on Meiji dori walking from LaForet towards Shijunku, address: 1-8-8 Jingumae, Shibuya-ku, 03-5775-6818) and Otsuka (north exit up a bit from the Pachinko parlor). The Harajuku branch has a foreign language section on the second floor. It is not so large in size, but has a fair bit of variety (not just novels, but also some software manuals, expensive international design magazines, etc).

P.S. the SWET booksale beats the Fransiscan Chapel hands down on price and is probably about even on variety and selection, though not always as well stocked with children's books.

By Natasha on Wednesday, September 22, 2004 - 12:32 pm:

Heather,
the Fall Bazaar at the Franciscan Chapel Center in Roppongi is good for buying second hand books.
16-17 of October 2004, 9:00 - 15:00. http://www2.gol.com/users/fcchapel/

By Natasha on Wednesday, September 22, 2004 - 12:18 pm:

SWET (Society for Writers, Editors and Translators) Book Fair, to be held Saturday, October 23, from 10:30 to 15:30 at Temple University Japan (TUJ). Prices for the used books and magazines are ¥100 for all paperbacks, ¥300 for all hardbacks, and ¥100 for three children’s books or three magazines. http://www.swet.jp

Send English-language books by post or delivery service to the address below from September 1. If there are questions, please phone or fax 03-3934-8774; please do not contact TUJ directly.

Address packages to:
SWET Book Fair
c/o Tom Boardman
Temple University Japan Library
2-8-12 Minami-Azabu
Minato-ku, Tokyo 106-0047

Closest subway stop is Azabu Juban.
Fax queries to 03-3949-8774; for a map and directions to the campus, check out the Temple University web site at http://www.tuj.ac.jp

By Pato on Wednesday, September 22, 2004 - 12:13 pm:

Caravan Books is more than just a bookstore. They have music, poetry readings and book discussions regularly at their bookshop/cafe. Their wine and cheese party on the last Friday of the month is popular. Address: 2-21-5 Ikebukuro, Toshima-ku Tel: (03) 5951-6406 Web: http:://www.booksatcaravan.com/

By heather flaherty on Thursday, August 26, 2004 - 12:29 pm:

I was wondering if anyone can tell me where there are 2nd hand stores. I am in Atsugi which I believe is in the Kanto plain. I have been here for about a mont in Japan and we are military, but unfortunately there is not alot of information about 2nd hand stores. I personally prefer to shop second hand stores. Any insight would greatly be appreciated. Thank You

By Joshua Carey on Friday, November 14, 2003 - 11:15 pm:

Bondi Books kichijoji.
Tokyo's newest used english bookstore has opened in Kichijoji. NO FICTION OVER 600 YEN. http://www.bondibooks.com
1-28-3-110 kichijoji honcho
musashino shi, tokyo 180 -0004
Tel: 0422 23 1996, Fax: 0422 42 8331

By Admin on Friday, November 14, 2003 - 4:53 pm:

Kamakura: Kamakura International Festival
Sunday, Nov 16, 10:00 - 15:00
Daibutsu (Great Buddha Statue), Kamakura

This is an annual festival sponsored in part by the City of Kamakura. 14 local NPO's with an international purpose will have booths for fundraising and information. It is a lively event, full of fun. Among other things: used English books, coffee and home baking will be sold

(this info was sent to me by 'Naomi')

By sayonnara on Friday, June 13, 2003 - 11:08 am:

*******Free*** June 14/15 ONLY
Various guide books -Japan, Thailand, Phillipines, KOrea, Chinax2, Bali Australia Cuba New York Rome Florence/Umbria You collect from the Nishi-Azabu area

Also novels mysteries and Japanese For Busy people 2 and 3 (NEW)and a few other J language study books. A few children's books/videos etc.

Many other things for sale and or give away. Call 3498-2047 or email trad@gol.com

By Pato on Monday, May 26, 2003 - 7:02 pm:

New secondhand bookstore for books in English, great prices, great books.
It's on the second floor close to Takadanobaba station.
BLUE PARROT 03-5485-5558 www.blueparrottokyo.com

By Pato on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 9:36 am:

report on Caravan books which I read on an e-list:

"Today we went to an English used bookstore in Ikebukuro, Caravan. They have a good selection. They also buy used books for credit or cash. They also have a pick-up service. Check out their website

http://www.booksatcaravan.com/

I found them much more friendly than Good Day Books."

By Naoki Takagi on Wednesday, February 5, 2003 - 6:23 pm:

Books for sale
500 Each

1. Snow Waltz in Cedar Bend By Robert James Waller (hardcover)
2. Five Days in Paris by Daniel Steel (hardcover-no front paper)
3. How to Develop Self-Confidence and Influence People
by Dale Carnegie (paperback)
4. Sarah Duchess of York Autobiography (paperback)
5. All the Good Men are Not Taken (Cosmopolitan book by Lisa Simmons-paperback)
6. Diary of a Mad Bride by Laura Wolf (paperback)
7. Shopoholic Ties the Knot by Sophie Kinsella (paperback)
8. The Long Walk by Stephen King(paperback)
9. The Firm by John Grisham
(paperback)

*Most are under decent second hand conditions, #9 paper colour discolouration due to old book, # 4 slight stains/discolouration on the side of the book. #6+7 might be of interest to those who enjoyed Bridget Jones Diary.

By Yukari on Thursday, August 30, 2001 - 12:56 am:

Price: 3500 yen for set
I have tons of books for sale!!
All in good condition, e-mail for list. Title are LIFE NATURE LIBRARY Published 1969

By Hiroko Kato on Saturday, May 26, 2001 - 12:51 am:

MEGUKO, a student run NGO that supports education in India and the Philippines, will host a book bazaar from May 28th to 30th. We will have many foreign books, both academic and general, together with Japanese books. Those of you interested in visiting a Japanese campus, join us during your lunch break!
Sophia university is right in front of Yotsuya station.

By Anna on Tuesday, November 28, 2000 - 6:59 pm:

Used English Book Market - Every Sunday 11:00 to 18:00 in Ikebukuro. Buy, sell, and trade. Thousands of second hand books for sale.
http://www.booksatcaravan.com
Tokyo
3-15-6 Ikebukuro, Toshima Ku, Tokyo 171-0014
Tel: 3957-5413
Fax: 3957-5565

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: