Getting Started
Register Here
Edit Profile
Troubleshooting
Contact Admin

For Admins
Forum Software

Baby born in Japan an overstayer now

Japan With Kids - Forums: Immigration/visas/re-entry permits/naturalization: Baby born in Japan an overstayer now
By Chungo on Monday, April 23, 2012 - 5:39 pm:

Hi

This is my own stupid fault for not looking into the situation and finding out what was required. But here's the story.

Both me and my wife have valid visas for working in Japan.
Our baby was born in Japan. We were unfortunately pretty slow in organizing the passport for the baby. Because we hadn't got the passport, we didn't bother with registering the baby with immigration.

So about 6 months later we have the passport for the baby and I take it to the immigration office to arrange a visa for the baby. They give me an application form, and I fill it. As soon as they find the baby was born 6 months in the past they send me off to a special desk and tell me there is a problem. From there I'm sent upstairs to the 3rd Investigation department.

Once there they explain the baby is an over stayer and they need a bunch more documents and for the baby to be presented at the office as well. The documents were basically:
- Baby and parents gaijin cards
- Original birth certificate
- Passport
- Statement of registered family information from the ward office
- Proof of tax payment from the ward office.
- Some additional forms filled in.

After this they basically say now the babies visa is under consideration, and they don't know when they will be able to tell me anything. I ask them if it will take 2 days, 2 weeks, 2 months, 2 years - just an indicator, but they don't want to provide any answer.

I've called the immigration office for an update, but no one is willing to provide an expected processing date, or even an update on the process.

My question - has anyone else gone through this? Any idea how long it might take?

Regards,
Not so smart Father

By Kurz on Sunday, May 6, 2012 - 4:01 pm:

I've never heard of your particular problem happening to anyone.
In my experience, at least at the ward office, where I was one day late (on day 15, of a two week requirement), I had to sign an apology (which was given to me already preprinted). I think you will basically be jerked around a little bit (such as not being told how long it will take) for not paying attention to the powers-that-be, but that it probably will not take so terribly long once you provide the correct documents. Immigration usually sends you a postcard when things are ready.
The alternative is so messy, that I think they will solve it somehow. Just stay patient and contrite.
Possibly you could claim extreme exhaustion and ignorance, especially if it is the first child, and just keep apologizing repeatedly.
In short, since it normally takes a week or so, now I think you might be looking at a month? Unless it has to go to a special review panel that only meets once a month and you just missed the last meeting.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: