Return to
Japan With Kids Home Page

Forum Main Page
Keyword Search
New Posts
Last Week

Getting Started
Register Here
Edit Profile
Contact Admin

For Admins
Forum Software

Baby born abroad - returning to Japan - now what?

Japan With Kids - Forums: Immigration/visas/re-entry permits/naturalization: Baby born abroad - returning to Japan - now what?
By cathy thompson on Sunday, May 2, 2004 - 11:04 am:

I went back to the US to have my baby and now that I am getting ready to head home I am concerned I will have problems in immigration. I have a Spouse visa and resident alien card, do I have to do anything special for my son before I try to come back to Japan? Or can I just go to the immigration office when I get back? I have a US passport already.

By Scott Hancock on Sunday, May 2, 2004 - 9:47 pm:

I think it would be best to ask this at your closest Japanese consulate.

Though I doubt it's complicated, relying on any answer you might get here wouldn't have much meaning if you discovered it was flawed from an Immigration inspector.


By Cornelia on Monday, May 17, 2004 - 9:23 am:

You need a passport for the baby in order to travel. Very few countries still put the children's name in the mother's passport. If the child is registered in the Japanese parent's "koseki" then it is entitled to Japanese citizenship. It might be easier to get the child a US passport for now and then get it's Japanese status ironed out back in Japan. But the US immigration authorities are not allowed to issue passports to kids without the consent of all the custodial parents involved. The good thing about getting the US passport first is that then the child's name can include a middle name, and the Japanese paperwork generally will then follow the US legal document, at least for foreigners. In the case of one Japanese parent, it depends on how that parent's local government office interprets it's obligations...

Also there is more on the paperwork issues in the conversation above: Baby born in Japan -- now what?

Scott's right of course, except you can generally call 4 times, talk to 4 different people and get 4 different answers. There's been a lot of discussion about these confusing variations in answers at the community e-list.

By Scott Hancock on Monday, May 17, 2004 - 2:16 pm:

It's because of that very quixotic nature of the immigration responses that I hesitate to add to the noise of answers. I'd hate for someone to read a well-intentioned answer here and then quote it as gospel to an inspector.

Maybe there should be an "auto-disclaimer" feature...?

Cornelia, your background information is good material for someone to construct their own strategy, though.


By amelia ijiri on Monday, February 28, 2005 - 11:37 am:

When you come back to the Japanese immigration office what visa will your newborn get? Will it be the same as your spouse visa (must be renewed every 3 years?)
Is your newborn intitled to Japanese nationality (will he/she get a Japanese passport once back in Japan?).
I am in a similiar situation, pregnant and married to Japanese man.
If the child is born in Japan, it gets a Japanese passport and US citizenship (passport?). If born aboard to a Japanese father/US mother what happens then?

Amelia Ijiri

By Scott Hancock on Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 11:01 am:

Not sure if Ameila is still watching...

In Cathy's original post back in 2004, I think her reference to "resident alien card" meant Permanent Resident; in which case I don't think she renews every 3 years.

I would think the baby in such case would get the dependent visa in its US passport. I wonder what they do if there is a Japanese passport issued later?

Per Cornelia's post above, if the local government accepts the child into the family register (koseki), then they can get Japanese passport.

Your case is different than Cathy's because your baby will be/was born in Japan, so the Japan passport comes first, most likely.

You have to check at the US Embassy for how to apply for US Passport. They have much information on this at their site:

Let everyone here know how you did!

By Robinakira on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 7:30 pm:

My Partner is Japanese, I am English, we registered our sonfs birth in the UK a little over 2 ½ years ago, my Partner was going through the end of her divorce at the time.

in order for our son to embrace both parts of his family history we wanted to register him in both Japan and the UK, the UK was not a problem but due to the divorce in Japan my partners ex has to be registered as the male parent (the 300 day rule) we have made MANY enquires through the Japanese Embassy in London and have found them extremely un-helpful in sorting out the problems.

I was hoping that there has been a case similar to ours coming through your office, I understand that there is a piece of international law that states the birth certificate from the country of birth (within recognized countries) is binding for all.

The main issue is in Japan I would have to adopt my own son, being adopted myself Ifm aware of the stigma this would have in a country such as Japan plus no one want to have to adopt their own child.

can any one help us please

By Taminanova on Sunday, December 2, 2012 - 5:32 pm:

im a japanese citizen and im here in philippines to 21 y.o and turning 22 this december 21
my father didn't pay my taxes this past few years since he abandoned us..i can't pay my tax as well since i dont have a job and stop studying because he already abandoned us. My mom is in japan right now and can't pay my tax as well because she has a little salary and she's the only one who's supporting us because my father's not giving any support. And now I want to come home in japan. Is it possible that japan embassy will help me pay my taxes and help me pay my plane ticket as well to help me to go home in japan? Please need some advice..thanks..

By Katiemason on Thursday, August 14, 2014 - 5:10 pm:

I overstayed back in Japan & got deported last 2008,though I got married in 2009 still we need to wait for 5 yrs long for the visa to come out.In 5 yrs of our marriage me & my husband went through a lot of misunderstandings thought we would end up having divorce then,I get pregnant in 2010 where we seriously don't have constant communication & visit from him at all,to my disgust I never wrote my husbands name on his birth certificate when I gave birth,so my kid was after my name without a father's name shown(I don't know as well if its alright to write his name without his presence).After 2 years maybe he realized to come back,talked to me,fixed everything,say sorry for everything that he missed,& even visited me & my kid.Since our child's name is not after his father we thought we could fix this problem after I came back to Japan..but I'm still waiting for my spouse visa to come out till now.Is there any way that we could fix to name my kid to his father's name right now?me & my husband don't know what to do pls help...

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.