Return to
Japan With Kids Home Page

Forum Main Page
Keyword Search
New Posts
Last Week

Getting Started
Register Here
Edit Profile
Contact Admin

For Admins
Forum Software

Visa Types

Japan With Kids - Forums: Immigration/visas/re-entry permits/naturalization: Visa Types
By Cornelia on Wednesday, June 28, 2000 - 5:20 am:

I picked up the following information sheet at the Tokyo Immigration Bureau this past Friday:

Immigration Amendment regarding length of visas:
September 1, 1999, Tokyo Immigration Bureau
Regarding the amendment in parts of the Immigration-Control and Refugee-Recognition Act.
This law shall come into force on October 1, 1999 as follows:

Status of resident:

Professor -
Artist -
Religious Activities -
Journalist -
Investor/Business Manager -
Legal/Accounting Service -
Spouse or Child of Japanese National -
Spouse of Child of Permanent Resident -
Long Term Resident -

The above nine listed visa status' used to have visa lengths of 3 yr, 1 yr or 6 months. Now only 3 year or 1 year visas are available.

Medical Service -
Researcher -
Instructor -
Engineer -
Specialist in Humanities/International Service -
Intra-company Transfer -
Skilled Labor -

The above seven listed visa status' used to have visa lengths of 1 yr, or 6 months. Now only 3 year or 1 year visas are available.

Entertainer - This visa status used to have visa lengths of 1 year, 3 months or 30 days. Now only 1 year, 6 months or 3 months visas are available.

College Student - This visa status used to have visa lengths of 1 year or 6 months. Now only 2 years or 1 year visas are available.

Pre-college Student -
Trainee -

The above two listed visa status' used to have visa lengths of 1 year, 6 months or 3 months. Now only 1 year or 6 months visas are available.

Dependent - A dependent visa was available for 3 years, 1 year, 6 months, or 3 months. Now it can also be issued for 2 years as well. [The flexibility of this visa is intended to help the responsible party match the visa length so that eventually trips to immigration for the different visas within one family will coincide.]

The following visa status' lengths have not changed:

Cultural Activities - 1 year or 6 months
Designated Activities - 1 year or 6 months
Temporary Visitor - 90 days or 15 days

By Pato on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 11:03 am:

Hello, does anyone know if they are creating any new visa types in the process, for example for people who do not have advanced degrees? And when this is to happen? Also, it sounds to me more like a way to cut back on paperwork rather than to open the doors to more people. It just means that people who are already here get 5 year extensions instead of 3 year extensions, doesn't it?
Japan set to accept more skilled foreign professionals
Friday, May 19, 2006

TOKYO EJapan is set to accept more foreign professionals by introducing more flexible immigration policies, the government said Thursday in line with a set of policy targets adopted by a government panel and aimed at securing leadership in international society.

In an attempt to attract more human resources with highly advanced knowledge and techniques from abroad, the government will extend the legal limit on the length of stay for them to five years from the current three years on a nationwide basis, the Cabinet Office said.

By Pato on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 8:34 pm:

MOFA (Ministry of Foreign Affairs) info on visa types link. Could not find a date though.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.