Edit Profile
Troubleshooting
Contact Admin

For Admins
Forum Software

Non-smoking restaurants

Japan With Kids - Forums: Suggest a Main Topic: Non-smoking restaurants
By Kelly Wang on Sunday, April 10, 2005 - 11:48 pm:

Which kinds of restaurants do now allow smoking but allow small babies at Tokyo? Non-smoking seats may not be good enough, since we once sat in a non-smoking seat but two people smoked just about two meters from us.

Kelly

By Elizabeth on Monday, April 11, 2005 - 10:10 am:

at our local saizeriya it is non-smoking and noisy babies are fine. this is in chiba

By Bethan Hutton on Monday, April 11, 2005 - 12:59 pm:

We stopped off with children at a local Mos Burger for a drink the other day and were pleased to find it was all non-smoking. I'm not sure if this applies to all branches, but Mos is at least superficially more "health conscious" than the other burger chains, so it could be company-wide policy.

Also in low cost options, most branches of Tenya, the basic tempura and rice bowl chain, now seem to be non-smoking all day (it used to be just non-smoking at peak hours) and they are also very child-friendly. And of course there's Starbucks...

Also, I've never seen anyone smoke in a sushi shop, although I don't know if it's technically banned - there is probably a feeling that you shouldn't be blowing smoke on the raw fish or something. We often take the children to small local sushi places or the big conveyor-belt sushi chains, and they always seem very welcoming to small children.

If you're looking for somewhere more upmarket, a lot of Japanese restaurants and izakayas have small private tatami rooms/cubicles, which at least protect you from other customers' smoke a little.

By Katherine on Monday, April 11, 2005 - 9:31 pm:

Hi Kelly,

No Smoke Tokyo has a restaurant page:
http://nosmoketokyo.tripod.com/restnew.html
The entire site is soon to be updated, as I am finding more good news everyday.

Non-smoking sections in restaurants and bars are
increasing because non-smokers are speaking up.

Some suggestions:
You can Ask to be seated far from the smoking section. Tell the manager (preferable to wait-staff) when you are bothered by smoke. Often he/she can seat you at
another table further away. Even if only an apology is offered, managers will remember, and may have input on increasing the size of the non-smoking section.

If you must leave a restaurant or bar because it is too smoky, please tell the manager so that he will know that business is being lost. If you would frequent the shop more if they had a non-smoking section, or a
better one, tell him/her so.

The common assumption, especially among bar owners,
is that "everyone smokes in Tokyo." Now non-smokers outnumber smokers.

NO SMOKE TOKYO is a non-smokers association whose agenda is to increase the number of non-smoking areas throughout the city with special attention restaurants, bars, and other places of relaxation and
entertainment.

Best regards,

Katherine Hammond
Director
No Smoke Tokyo
nosmoketokyo@yahoo.com

PS: Thank you to those who came out yesterday from TWK to the Hanami. I didn't get to meet all of you, but I
would love to hear your comments. Photos of the 100+ group available soon on our
website.

By SusyAnderson on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 4:31 pm:

Hi Kelly,
There is a good non smoking restaurant called NIRVANAM in Kamiyacho on the Hibiya line.
Not only are they non smoking but they also serve the best authentic South Indian food I have ever had.
The interiors are simply fantastic and very tastefully done by the owner herself wo also happens to be anArcitect from India.
Should give it a try once.
Best regards,
Susy

By SusyAnderson on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 4:35 pm:

Hi Kelly,
There is a good non smoking restaurant called NIRVANAM(03 3433 1217) in Kamiyacho on the Hibiya line.
Not only are they non smoking but they also serve the best authentic South Indian food I have ever had.
The interiors are simply fantastic and very tastefully done by the owner herself who also happens to be an Architect from India.
Should give it a try once.
Best regards,
Susy

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: