Getting Started
Register Here
Edit Profile
Troubleshooting
Contact Admin

For Admins
Forum Software

Gifts from Australians to Japanese

Japan With Kids - Forums: Suggest a Main Topic: Gifts from Australians to Japanese
By Jane Correnti on Wednesday, May 3, 2006 - 8:11 am:

Hello

My Husband is working in Tokyo as a guest chef and we would like to take a little gift from Australia to some of the people who have arranged all this to show our appreciation and excitement at coming to Japan.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what would be appropriate?

By Aussie Mum 06 on Wednesday, May 3, 2006 - 9:16 am:

Australian food is always a good one.

The chocolate covered macadamia nuts or any chocolates or Australian biscuits would be fine.

In addition, if you went to the Aussie souvenier shop you could get some small trinkets from there - pens with Australia or little Kangaroos etc. It is customary to give a small gift to everyone you work with when you return from holidays, so he could give a small pen or somethign little to each of the kitchen / hotel staff and then a some chocolates for the person that really helped him.

Hope it helps.

By Helen Matsuo on Wednesday, May 3, 2006 - 9:43 am:

Well I am not Australian, Im from the UK but my husband (Japanese) is a chef here in Tokyo. When we lived in the UK, he brought back gifts such as ingredients not available in Japan.......like a swede and a parsnip for the younger chefs in his kitchen to see.You really don't need to buy individual gifts for every chef, a box of biscuits for each section of the kitchen etc to share.( If it is a big establishment he is going to)Herbs/Spices or unusal cooking ingredients are always a hit.Chefs love cooking books even if they can't read the instructions they only need to see the pictures........perhaps a tradional Australian cook book for the Executive Head Chef.
Hope you have a wonderful stay in Japan.If you have any more questions please contact me directly.

Helen Matsuo

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: