Getting Started
Register Here
Edit Profile
Troubleshooting
Contact Admin

For Admins
Forum Software

English-Speaking Neighbors in Tokyo?

Japan With Kids - Forums: Moving to and Leaving Japan: Moving To Japan: English-Speaking Neighbors in Tokyo?
By tampa91 on Saturday, December 15, 2001 - 4:23 pm:

Hi, My husband has been offered an ex-pat package for a 2-3 year term with his company in Tokyo. I plan to join him for a month or so at a time. Any suggestions as to where he might live so that he will have English-speaking neighbors, stores, etc? Any suggestions about where he might buy/lease a used car for transportation? Any other suggestions about life for a Westerner in Tokyo would be appreciated. Thanks.
tampa91@aol.com

By Nathalie on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 11:46 am:

As for buying a used car, I recommand buying a huge magazine called 'car sensor' which lists all the used cars for sale by areas, types of cars... Most dealers are in suburbs though, so not very convenient to visit. If your husband does not speak Japanese, it would be easier to have a Japanese person with him.

By Helen Wilbrink on Monday, May 27, 2002 - 6:02 pm:

Hi, My husband has been posted to Tokyo for minimum of 6 months. He will be working at Narita airport. I and my 3 year old daughter will also be joining him. We need a fully furnished house or appartment that is convenient to the airport but also convenient for us all to enjoy our time in Tokyo. We were thinking of somewhere halfway between the city and the airport. Does anyone have any tips or can reccommend an area or housing? Many thanks
Helen

By Karen on Monday, May 27, 2002 - 7:24 pm:

Hi Helen,

Narita Airport is located in Narita City, Chiba. It is about 1 to 2 hours by train to Tokyo. Narita City is quite pleasant and charming actually. Lots of foreigners live there.

If your husband will be commuting every day you might want to consider living in Narita and taking day trips into Tokyo whenever you felt like it. If you lived halfway between Tokyo and the airport your rent would be higher than it would be living closer to the airport (rent increases considerably and steadily as you get closer to Tokyo).

Narita has lots of good restaurants (there's even a place that has a great English buffet and fish and chips), a beautiful temple (one of my favourites in Japan!) and a nice little downtown area. Daytrips to Tokyo for shopping and sightseeing might be a bit long with a three-year-old but there are some great resources here.

You mention finding a fully furnished apartment -- unless your husband's company is sponsoring an apartment or finding one for you this might be a bit difficult. Prepare to be flexible! Can you talk to any one else who has been posted to Tokyo by his company?

Hope this helps,

Karen

By Pippa James on Thursday, June 20, 2002 - 9:52 pm:

Hi,
My husband, 8 month old son and I are moving to Tokyo (near Ebisu?)in July.
I have heard that most of the expats and foreign residents flee for home during the summer. Obviously I am not expecting to find the city looking like a ghost town but am I likely to find many other foreign mums?
Could anyone tell me of a good place to play and meet friends, away from the heat.
Thanks
Pippa and Brendan

By Nathalie on Friday, June 28, 2002 - 3:34 pm:

Hi Pippa
I'm Nathalie, mother of Matthieu, 15 months old.
I live in Shiroganedai, not far from Ebisu, and I'am here this summer.

By Geraldine on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 6:37 pm:

NEW to Japan????

Kudos is a company at the service of the community which provides a wide range of benefits in ENGLISH dediated to enhance and support your new life in Japan.

We will be having a "Newcomers Morning Coffee" session in mid October to welcome new arrivals, meet new friendsand share your impressions and experiences over a casual enviroment. This is a FREE EVENT and everybody is welcome!!!

We wish you an enjoyable and rewarding stay in Japan. For further details about this event, please email us any time at: info@jp-kudos.com

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: