Register Here
Edit Profile
Troubleshooting
Contact Admin

For Admins
Forum Software

Pets and Pet-sitting: wanted/available

Japan With Kids - Forums: Classifieds: Pets and Pet-sitting: wanted/available
Welcome to Pets and Pet-sitting: wanted/available. This page is for sharing information which helps animals find good homes, and for finding pet care when off on vacation. A related conversation includes information about English speaking veterinarians at "Shopping in Japan: Pet care & supplies".
Also related:
"Leaving Japan: Animal/Pets Quarantine - Taking Pets out of Japan
"
"Animal/Pets Quarantine - Bringing Pets to Japan"
"Dog Grooming"

If you are a business, or a company please contact
jwk.forums.support[at]gmail.com for terms and instructions.

By Pato on Monday, October 10, 2011 - 3:40 pm:

Dorrit is an 8 year old mixed breed, one eye brown, the other blue, looking for a home with children. He's very good on the leash and very lovable. He is a bit overweight at 35kg, quiet, calm and obedient.
If you are interested in adopting Dorrit, please contact ARK at tokyoark[at]arkbank.net or call 050-1557-2763 Monday through Saturday (bilingual).

Tokyo ARK is a non-profit dedicated to rescuing and rehoming abandoned animals. All animals are vaccinated, neutered and micro-chipped. Prospective owners are asked to undergo a screening process.

By Can8dn on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 4:10 am:

Hello,

We are looking for a sitter in Urawa-ku to help out with our chi puppy once a day for an hour. Please contact me at tokyoray@gmail.com with your details and rates.

Thanks,

By Lenemaia on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 3:59 pm:

Hello Pet-owners and pet-sitters!

I am running a PetSitting Connection Service and so far it is running really well within the borders of Tokyo. I would very much like it to expand to all of Japan, but one step at a time... until then: All areas are welcome to join in! It is a non-profit service where I am trying to connect like-minded cat- and dog owners to each other for mutual petsitting - and petsitters to petowners. If you would like to meet other pet-owners for mutual petsitting or if you would like to be a petsitter, then please take a look at my website and see if this may be something you would like to participate in.

Thank you for your time.
Best regards,
Lene
PetSittingConnectionService

website: http://www.royalbluedk.com/ad/pet_sitting_connection.html

article written and published in the Metropolis:
http://www.japantoday.com/category/lifestyle/view/petsitters-lend-helping-hand

By Kia on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 2:49 am:

HELP I would like to find a family or someone to care for my fluffy little dog (Kinki district). My employer found me an apartment that is not pet friendly >_< Maybe in a few months I can move out and find my own. I love my little dog a lot and would pay you to care for him.

By Lindagondo on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 9:34 am:

I can vouch for Ark also. We adopted our dog from there and have been very happy with their service.

By Jhansby on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 8:47 am:

T,
Wonderful pet charity in Japan called ARK....here is their website. I'm sure you will find a wonderful pet and companion.
http://www.arkbark.net/e/index.htm

By Tramar63 on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 8:43 am:

Does anyone know of a reputable place to adopt a cat? We have recently lost one of ours and the other is really lonesome. We do not want a cat from an expensive pet store. The cat must be friendly, healthy and socialized. It does not need to be pure-bred. Must be in Tokyo-Yokahama area.

Thanks,
T

By Tramar63 on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 8:29 am:

Does anyone know of a reputable place to adopt a cat? We have recently lost one of ours and the other is really lonesome. We do not want a cat from an expensive pet store. The cat must be friendly, healthy and socialized. It does not need to be pure-bred. Must be in Tokyo-Yokahama area.

Thanks,
T

By Billybob on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 6:01 pm:

Two beautiful black cats looking for a new home. My three week old baby seems to be alergic to our cats and so sadly they have to go. We are looking for a good home for them, they are in the best of health, fully vaccinated, spayed and neutered. They have lived in our 5th floor apartment and in previously in a house and so can go outside or stay in whichever is available. They are very affectionate and very good looking - just need a bit of love and attention and will be friends for life.
A boy of 8 years old and a girl of 2 years old.
Please email betsuemay@yahoo.com if you can help out.
Thanks

By Evejp on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 3:52 pm:

WANTED: Dog Walker near Setagaya Park

Hi, does anyone live near Setagaya Park?
We need a dog walker. Please contact me only if you live near Setagaya Park.

Thank you

By Logan5 on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 3:28 pm:

Ready to go 11 weeks old Yorkshire Terrier Puppy,fully vac,wormed,with pedigree papers,Very strong puppy. Heaps of prey drive,great around kids,and livestock.Well bred ,excellent pup.Only one male availble due to sale falling through. He wont last. HeLs a awsome little male. Will be avery impressive dog,not a doubt bout that.
For any inquiries get back to me.

By Orchids on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 2:02 am:

I need pet sitting for our mini rabbit during our new year holiday 27 Dec to Jan 3 since we are going to travel away. Cage, food and harness are provided. Please write email to blossom_orchids@yahoo.co.jp with pet-sitting on the subject. Thanks

By Sailcat on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 9:50 pm:

Interested in a pet rabbit? I will be moving in January and need a good home for my adorable 1 year old male mini rabbit. He is ready to go anytime!
He has a cage, litter box and harness. I will travel to bring him to you.
email me if you are interested: hobecatt_10@juno.com

By Sammi on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 8:39 pm:

Four year old,black and white male cat with lovely disposition needs a new home soon.Fully vaccinated.

Our daughter has developed an allergy to him and he needs a new,loving home.

Please reply to zippyninski@yahoo.co.uk

By U_learn on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 10:18 pm:

Hi everyone.Need some help especially in the morning and late at night on weekdays or weekend to walk the dog out,I will be happy to help you.With valid working visa,pls.don't hesitate to contact me at anytime.

By Roguerose on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 3:24 pm:

Part-time Pet Sitting in Tokyo

Hello everyone!

I am attending college an International University in Tokyo, and I am looking for a part time job sitting pets. I speak only minimal Japanese as of yet, as well as a little French. I live in Higashifuchu. I am willing to travel I have experience pet sitting for family and friends for months at a time, and have 2 dogs and 4 cats at my home back in America. I also have experience with small birds, fish, and various rodents. I've worked with dogs of all sizes, and will be happy to walk them, as well as offer advice /assist with training dogs while I am with them. I would not ask for much in terms of pay, and will give your pets all the affection I can spare, especially as I dearly miss my own from home. I would also be glad to meet in person to discuss details and get to know one another so you can be sure you are making the right choice of individuals to be interacting with your pets. Please contact me at rogueshadow@gmail.com if I can possibly be of service to you. Thank you :-)

By Lindagondo on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 6:41 pm:

Tokyo Ark now has a foster carer program for rescued animals. A great solution if you would like a pet but can`t take on the responsibility of one if you don`t know how long you`ll be here.

Email Briar at tokyo@arkbark.net

They also have a website:http://www.arkbark.net/e/index.htm

Help save an animal!!!

By Gyoshida on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 5:40 pm:

We are looking to add a dog to our family! We need a breed with hair (Yorkie, Westie, Maltese, or Poodle, in order of preference). We will consider any gender and age in good health. (A puppy will be neutered, and whichever dog we add will be micro-chipped, trained, groomed, absolutely loved as part of our family for life, of course!)

There is no time limit on our request, so please contact us anytime. We are not in a rush, and will wait as soon or as long as it takes to find the right pup/dog. We have contacted 4 animal rescue organizations in Japan and will continue to be in touch with them in case a pup there needs us. At the same time, if anybody has one or knows of one elsewhere looking for a home, please make contact.

We would like to meet the dog before bringing him/her home, so the dog needs to be available in an area accessible to Tokyo. (This may sound obvious, but we were contacted by a seller to buy and ship a puppy straight from Cameroon (uh, no thank you...)

Thanks all!

By Admin on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 10:10 pm:

Kittens need adopting, from Ellen in Tsukuba:
Two left, a pure white female kitten and an orange-white kitten.
Please help me find homes for these adorable creatures! Tsukuba is only 50 minutes from Akihabara station on the Tsukuba Express.
Would you like to welcome a new kitten into your home? It will certainly liven up your house, welcome you back each night and cheer you up with its antics. You can have a pair too, so they can have company..

My white Chinchilla cat just had a litter a month and a half ago and they ready for weaning.They have been toilet-trained and will eat canned food as well as chips. They are so cute that it will break our hearts to give them away but we already have 2 fully-grown cats, and we have a small apartment. Photos can be seen at: http://phlog.net/latest.php?user=eljonztaleon

Please contact me by email or call 08065203700 after 7:30 PM. Thanks, Ellen Taleon jeanjilpatrick[at]yahoo.com

By Cornelia on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 7:47 pm:

Found a place that will keep hamsters:
Big Sam (under the train line at Akabane Station, Kita-ku, TOKYO)
Hamster hotel Y700 /day (depends on the size of the cage). You supply the food and the cage.
03-3902-3330
We also found someone who will take care of our Chibi-chan at their home, finally, but thought I'd pass on the info in case someone has run out of options.

By Jenifer Hermes on Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 3:02 pm:

Hi, all!
I do have 2 wonderful rescued kitties looking for a new home. They are beautiful, healthy, well-socialized boys. They were found together, and although they are not related, they are best friends and take care of one another. The vets said that they have never heard of such a special bond between unrelated boys. These are very special kitties!! I need to place them together, and I`m looking for a catloving, permanent, indoor home. No declawing, please.

Both are neutered and have all of their shots.

If you know of anyone who would be a good home to:
-a very handsome Japanese bobtail boy who likes nothing better than to sit on your lap and be petted for hours (he`d be a great companion for someone who does a lot of work on the computer)

and

-an adorable black-and-white boy with a freckle! Very playful and friendly.

Please have them call me at 047-468-4145

Both are good with kids, other cats, and dogs. We can deliver in/ near Tokyo.

Thanks so much for any help!
Jenifer

By Lene Borup Kimura on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 3:54 pm:

I am offering "A'round-the-Clock" Petsitting. Take a look at my homepage: http://www.royalbluedk.com/ad/pet_sitting_Yokohama.html
If you want to know more, don't hesitate to drop me a line.
Thanks!
Lene

By Alyssa Fraser on Sunday, January 8, 2006 - 7:03 am:

Looking to adopt a cat or kitten in the
Yokohama area. New to Japan, so my
Japanese is very minimal. I'd be most
comfortable with English speaking vet or
rescue organization or English website.

Send any info to alyssafraser@hotmail.com

thanks

By Julie Hansberry on Saturday, November 26, 2005 - 6:51 pm:

Does anyone out there know of any breeders in Japan for small dogs (poodles, bichons, yorkies, etc.) We want to get a puppy, but don't want to buy from a pet store. We also have allergy issues which makes it necessary to focus on certain breeds. I can't seem to find any listings online...any suggestions??

By Leese Johnson on Saturday, November 26, 2005 - 2:35 pm:

We have a large (80 lb/32 kg) dog. We have had no troubles. He is a quiet dog and gets along just fine with our twice daily walks around the block.

Yoyogi Koen is a huge park with some areas people use for off leash areas. I have seen Manchester Terriers among many other small breeds here.
We had Bow Wow Gardens recommended to us for boarding during our home leave & vacation times. Recentlyt we went out for a visit and had a good impression of the facility and the staff and owners.

Overall, our neighborhood is filled with dogs and ours has adapted (like we have) to our new life. It was a hard flight and transition for our dog but we are glad we did it.

With your small dog you'll even have accessories available to you such as collars, leads, nail clippers and rain jackets (helps keep our dog dry during the rainy season). We had to search to find one that would fit him and had to get new nail clippers in the US.

Some people here get either live-in help or someone to come over and watch their animals (and plants). Our neighbor loves our dog and has watched him for those weekends away and even our week long vacation this summer.

I'm hoping you are up on the new quarantine laws as they can require 6 months lead time to avoid quarantine. http://www.maff-aqs.go.jp/english/ryoko/newquarantine-eng/newquarantine.htm Although if the dog is coming from Australia I think you are "Rabies Free". Lucky! The Japanese are very particular about making sure all paperwork is in order so make sure you have everything.

Have a good trip and Welcome to Japan!
Leese

By Corinne Howarth on Saturday, November 26, 2005 - 2:03 pm:

Hi!
We will be moving to Tokyo in January and are looking at bringing our 3 yr old Manchester Terrier (about 10 kgs). How easy (or difficult!) is it to have a dog in the city? Are there any leash free parks? Are there any kennels available to when we come back to Sydney on holidays? Thank you so much for your help! Corinne.

By Nancy on Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 6:29 pm:

There is a new pet hotel opening at Narita Airport on December 1. http://www.narita-airport.jp/en/whats_new/050930.htmlNow, what the website does not mention is the price, which is anywhere from JPY 4,000 per night to JPY 20,000 for a suite. Advanced bookings began on September 30. Anyone booked this yet?

By sayako katoh on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 7:44 pm:

I'm looking for a dog training/sitting place
that will take my dear friend's one year old
lab for three months and train and take
care. Obviously need a place with loads of
TLC! Does anyone have any information to
share? PLEASE?

By Melissa Woods Nelson on Monday, October 24, 2005 - 1:59 am:

Anyone know a boarding option for cats, preferably near Shibuya? Thanks!

By Jenifer Hermes on Monday, September 5, 2005 - 11:49 am:

Hi, all!
I do have 2 wonderful rescued kittens looking for a new home. They are beautiful, healthy, well-socialized boys.

If you know of anyone who would be a good home to:
-a very handsome Japanese bobtail boy who likes nothing better than to sit on your lap and be petted for hours (he`d be a great companion for someone who does a lot of work on the computer)

or

-an adorable black-and-white boy with a freckle! Very playful and friendly.

Please have them call me at 047-468-4145

Both are good with kids, other cats, and dogs. We can deliver in/ near Tokyo.

Thanks so much for any help!
Jenifer

By Pato on Monday, September 5, 2005 - 2:55 am:

Carey, you could also try calling Jenifer directly. There is a phone number listed.

By CS on Sunday, September 4, 2005 - 10:55 am:

Thanks Nancy, I e-mailed Dr. Herold

By Nancy on Sunday, September 4, 2005 - 10:11 am:

Carey, you could try contacting Dr. Herold, she runs a rescue operation and a neuter/spay clinic. (she speaks English) She usually has kittens and dogs needing homes. Her details have been posted before on this site under the Classifieds: pets and pet sitting section. Did you look there? The discussion is quite recent (July 2005).

By Carey Storin on Sunday, September 4, 2005 - 9:29 am:

Hi Jennifer, I could not get in to see the brochure. If you could e-mail me with information, I'd appreciate it. Is there a female available? Thanks! boschcs@earthlink.net

By Shibuya on Saturday, September 3, 2005 - 1:02 pm:

Passing this along -- it's about two kittens that need homes. Look the Yahoo group "AngleswithFur" for more information.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Hi, everyone.. I uploaded a brochure I made for the 2 kitties I have that need a new home. Just click on "Files" on the left-hand side of your screen to see it. If you could print it out and post it around, that would be great. Any other help would also be most welcome!! Thanks, Jenifer 047-468-4145
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

By Carey Storin on Saturday, September 3, 2005 - 11:42 am:

Hi , our family has been looking for a female kitten. Please let us know if there is anyone giving away kittens.

By Nancy on Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 11:01 pm:

Million Pet is located at 1-5 Negishi cho, Naka ku, Yokohama. Here is the link to the Million Pet website, (Japanese only) but translation software works on the text, unfortunately not on the map. http://www.millionpet-nestor.co.jp/ There are only a few dogs for sale. The owner, Mr. Okubo, speaks English.

Scott, from what I have seen of chain pet stores, they are pretty awful. Very young dogs are for sale, often they have been purchased at auction. Chains like Wan Nyan House are selling puppies that should still be with their moms. The shop in Yokohama (in Home's) has a Petit Basset that has a problem with its back legs( the veterinarian who saw the dog told us this). Not that anyone at the store would admit to this. One has to wonder if being kept in a cage for so many months is the reason. The dog is just under a year old. Older, larger dogs, have little chance of finding homes when there are all those "teacup" dogs to choose from.

By Scott Hancock on Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 12:32 am:

Nancy- The shop you mention sounds good. If you could post some details on the location, it might be helpful for Marilyn.

Do you think a chain pet store is necessarily bad?

By Nancy on Saturday, July 9, 2005 - 10:52 pm:

Aly, I love the picture. Dr. Herold has been very supportive and has offered us a lot of advice with our rescues. I do my best to help her find homes for her dogs. Scott, you are right about kennels here, but for a short stay, there are some decent ones. It seems for longer periods a pet sitter is a preferred option. As for my comment about pet stores, I think there are very few that actually care about the well being of the pets. There is one shop near me, called Million Pet, that is privately owned, not part of a chain. The dogs are trained and socialized. The owner speaks English.

By Aly on Saturday, July 9, 2005 - 10:11 am:

Marilyn, I second the recommendation of Dr. Harold (Renate). We adopted our dog Miso (see her picture under my profile) through her. She has been a wonderful family dog for the last 2.5 years. Dr. Harold even spayed her free of charge, which is something to keep in mind in Japan. We need more people like Dr. Harold in this country!

By Scott Hancock on Saturday, July 9, 2005 - 9:22 am:

Marilyn-
I was in another pet store that has been there for many years; so I would hope they are decent. Called Kojima on Yamate-dori between Ohashi & Naka-Meguro. Email me if you need more specific. They seem serious.

By Scott Hancock on Saturday, July 9, 2005 - 9:19 am:

Reminder to anyone considering the responsibility of an animal in Japan that, if you take extended trips away and think you would take the animal, the regulations & procedures for moving pets in & out of Japan can be complicated, time consuming and expensive.

Along the same lines, kennels of a good standard do not seem plentiful and those that do exist are expensive.

I can imagine a family that might have had a pet at home might not think about these aspects of acquiring one here.
For what it's worth...

By Scott Hancock on Saturday, July 9, 2005 - 9:11 am:

Nancy- Are you saying that you think there is NO pet store in Tokyo which sells dogs properly?

By Nancy on Saturday, July 9, 2005 - 12:10 am:

Marilyn,
I've posted this information before regarding an animal rescue operation in Tokyo. If you look back at my post of Nov 20 under "pets and Pet sitting" you will see two photos of dogs that were available at the time. The contact person for rescue is Dr. Renate Herold who can be reached by fax 042-584-4354 or e-mail: herold[at]inv.co.jp
Most veterinarians don't want to get involved in finding homes for strays, although one of our rescued dogs came to us from a veterinarian. The other rescue was from a pet shop, where she had outgrown her cage and was ill. Basically the store starved her to try and keep her small to try and sell her. Basset Hounds are not very fashionable dogs in Japan. At 8 months she was the oldest dog in the shop and bone thin. (I have a photo under my profile)
IMHO, a pet store is hardly a "reputable" place to buy a dog. The link Scott posted tells only a part of the story.

Note from admin: "IMHO" stands for "in my humble opinion"

By Scott Hancock on Friday, July 8, 2005 - 7:35 pm:

Just happened upon this article regarding pets in Japan:

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/getarticle.pl5?fd20050703pb.htm

By Scott Hancock on Friday, July 8, 2005 - 2:25 pm:

I was hoping you would jump in, Yuko! Thank you.

By Yuko Kubota on Friday, July 8, 2005 - 1:48 pm:

As for shelters, since stray dogs aren't allowed, they will be kept at the hokenjo (public health center) to be put to sleep, so you can contact them, but these are mainly mature dogs.

A friend of mine who is really into saving kittens use the internet. She knows all the reliable websites, and how to deal with them (always interview before making a deal etc.), and I'm sure it works the same for puppies.

The problem is that these websites are in Japanese. If you could get someone to read and speak Japanese, I can ask her and check which ones the reliable websites are.

Otherwise, sometimes people put puppies in front of a vet door, so you can ask your local veterinarian.

Also, here is the Japan Animal Welfare Society website, with an adoption page, I found from a very quick internet search.
http://www.jaws.or.jp/

By Scott Hancock on Friday, July 8, 2005 - 12:46 pm:

I would be interested to know if there's a system for adopting pets from "shelters". My impression is that this system is not well developed in Japan, but I hope to be wrong.

Or, are you specifically looking for a particular breed / size? Seems we are still in a huge dog boom here. Many pet stores.

One that come to mind:
Not near you, but in Odaiba, at the Venus Fort complex, there is a large pet store on the ground floor, near Sports Authority.

Any store-bought dog would seem to be pretty expensive. I'm seeing them for 150,000 and up. Brand fanatic has migrated to breed fanatic.

By Marilyn M. on Friday, July 8, 2005 - 12:15 pm:

We are looking for a puppy, and we live near Tokyo Tower. Does anyone know of any reputable place where we can get a dog from?

By Nancy on Tuesday, May 31, 2005 - 11:08 pm:

Eric, my post of November 20 includes the information you are seeking. For many pets owned by expat families, this is a sad time of year. Families relocating often do not take the family pet with. I saw an ad the other day offering a 4 year old Labrador....along with all the ads for sayonara sales.

By Eric McDonald on Tuesday, May 31, 2005 - 3:01 pm:

Any information on english websites for shopping or adopting a puppy or dog in Japan would be greatly appreciated. Also I am looking for information about animal shelters in the area and the adopting procedures in Japan. Please send an email to newtojpn2005@yahoo.com
Thank you.

By Eric McDonald on Tuesday, May 31, 2005 - 2:19 pm:

Wanted: Puppy/dog to a good home. We have a 3 year old son and a big yard. Confident we will provide an excellent home. Breed and size not too important.

By Leiko Webb on Saturday, May 21, 2005 - 5:22 pm:

I recently rescued 2 beautiful kittens but am unable to keep them as one of my children seems to be allergic to cats. The kittens are 1 month old - 1 boy and 1 girl. Please contact me at leikowebb@hotmail.com if you would like to adopt them.

By gdv on Tuesday, April 26, 2005 - 12:26 pm:

Golden Week Travel! Help!

Anyone here know of any pet friendly hotel in Karuizawa? We are planning to take my dog along with us this coming Friday. Please email me or post any info about pet friendly hotels in the area. Thank you.

By gdv on Tuesday, April 26, 2005 - 12:22 pm:

Thank you to all those who gave their input on how to transport my pet dog. I will look into that and see what is best.

By Ava on Wednesday, April 20, 2005 - 10:50 pm:

it's not so hard to bring out pet from japan. i guess the only problem will the country of destination. the only requirements i prepared last march when i brought my dog from japan to my country was the immunization record of the pet my dog had only anti rabies vaccine then( but i think it's the minimum vaccine requirement of the narita quarantine ). also i prepared the dog papers such as the pedigree. a dog cage and the fee for dog handling ( about 2,000 yen per total weight cage included ). also before your arrival to the airport of destination try to call them first and inquire about the requirements they will be needing from you. in my case i asked my sister to do the paper works for me in my country. and she just sent it by fax because i also presented it to the narita airport quarantine. try to call up your airline and the airport of destination to confirm all the requirements.. i hope it helps ..goodluck!!!

By Nancy on Wednesday, April 20, 2005 - 10:08 pm:

gdv, have you considered using the services of a company like Nippon Express who have experience in transporting animals? Narita office TEL: 0476.32.8011 FAX:0476.32.8009.
Alternatively, you could contact IAPTA. Good luck.

By gdv on Tuesday, April 19, 2005 - 4:30 pm:

Are you heading to Miami, Tampa or Orlando this coming May or June? I can give you a free roundtrip ticket if you can help take my dog back to the US. Any takers? Serious inquiries only. Email me for info. Thank you

By shodo lee on Wednesday, April 13, 2005 - 11:10 am:

Hi, I`m looking for an apartment where I can have a small dog (maybe Papillon)and would like to adopt. I`m looking for an inexpensive place (100,000\ possible?). I work in Ichikawa, so around Tokyo/Chiba area. Thank you

By Nancy on Thursday, April 7, 2005 - 5:09 pm:

Dawn, it's not impossible to train your dog yourself, honestly. If you have a dog with serious behavioural problems, you may need more than a trainer. Please feel free to e-mail me privately.

By Nancy on Thursday, April 7, 2005 - 04:04 pm:
Dawn, I know a few but they are in Yokohama. My advice to you is hit the books. There are tons of books, and a few classics. There are also many articles on the internet too. It's not impossible to train your dog yourself, honestly. You can see my lot in my profile. Two were rescues who only understood Japanese and now they understand English too! Good Luck!

By Dawn Matus on Thursday, April 7, 2005 - 7:17 am:

I am looking for a bilingual or English-speaking dog trainer who can come to my house in Mitaka. Does anyone know of such a person? Many thanks!

By greg adams on Monday, February 21, 2005 - 10:40 am:

for sale: hamster cage with all accessories Y1000, fish tank with all accessories Y500, fish also available 090 6186 3491

By Scott Hancock on Tuesday, February 8, 2005 - 10:30 am:

David-
For what it's worth, Bow Wow Garden, which I recommended below doesn't cage well behaved dogs like yours. They have a kind of "living room" like area where several dogs hang out together. Our Laborador seemed to like it. Also, the operators take the dogs out for extensive excercise- much more than we can manage.

If you get in a jam and don't find someone... which I hope you do.

Scott

By David M. Gizzi on Tuesday, February 8, 2005 - 8:44 am:

Thank you for the referrals, but I would prefer to leave my Weimaraner in a home around people, not crated. I'm in Tokyo, Roppongi area, and willing to pay similar rates to crating/kennels - but want him to be around people for my trip, while gone, if at all possible. Thanks so much for the advice...

By Nancy on Monday, February 7, 2005 - 9:13 pm:

One more commercial operation that is very well run and reasonably priced http://www.pawsjp.com/index_e.htm
The one drawback is that it is in Kobe.

By Scott Hancock on Monday, February 7, 2005 - 5:47 pm:

And another commercial option:
http://www4.airnet.ne.jp/bwgarden/e/
Have used them and everyone was very happy. Can be pricey, though.

By Nancy on Monday, February 7, 2005 - 4:35 pm:

David,
Here is another option - you can take your dog to AQS. I have heard wonderful things about it from friends. Here is the website, and yes, there are English speaking staff available.
http://www.aqs.co.jp/index_e.html

By David M. Gizzi on Monday, February 7, 2005 - 6:49 am:

I'm heading to the U.S. for 10 days and need someone to dog-sit for my 3 year old Weimaraner - he's very social, very friendly, and a wonderful "kid". Dates of my travel are Feb 18 - 28. Look forward to hearing from you, David

By Josette Vanneur on Friday, December 3, 2004 - 10:02 am:

Correction
The kitten rescued in Ginza and looking for a loving home in Tokyo is 5-weeks old (not 5-months old as mentioned erroneously).
Thank you in advance!
Josette Vanneur
jova333@yahoo.com

By Josette Vanneur on Thursday, December 2, 2004 - 3:36 pm:

I have rescued in Ginza a black/white 5-month old male kitten, cute, full of vitality.
Is there any warm and loving home for it in Tokyo ?
Kindly let me know.
Thank you in advance

By Nancy on Wednesday, November 24, 2004 - 4:39 pm:

LARGE DOG CAGE FOR SALE
Excellent quality, sturdy cage by Ohyama (Model OK-90N)New price was 16,000. Asking 8,000 ono. Great for indoor/outdoor use or travel in car. Will hold dog up to 50 KG!!! Folds for storage. Open dimensions are 67 w x 88 d x 75 h (folded height is 16 cm high). Optional wooden floor can be removed for easy cleaning. Cage weighs 13 kgs. dog cage

By Nancy on Saturday, November 20, 2004 - 10:50 pm:

Dogs for Adoption: If you are considering buying a puppy as a Christmas present, please consider adopting a dog that has been rescued and is in need of a home. Both dogs are female, spayed and vaccinated, approximately 2 -3 years old. One is a shiba mix, the other a setter mix. The contact person for rescue is Dr. Renate Herold who can be reached by fax 042-584-4354 or e-mail: herold{@}inv.co.jp
Here are photos of the two dogs. dog

By quek choo san on Tuesday, October 26, 2004 - 6:42 pm:

I am looking for a cat sitter for my recently acquired kitten. She is a ginger-brown abyssinian kitten, abt 2mths old. As I need to make frequent trips overseas, I need to find someone who can cat-sit from time to time.

Pls let me know if anyone is interested or has contacts for this, thanks.

By edwin manalo on Thursday, September 23, 2004 - 3:35 pm:

I'm edwin a Filipino looking for morning job around 8am up to 3pm.I can do pet sitting with proper visa just contact me to this no.080-3029-0624 or 050-5201-6554 thank you.

By deejay on Saturday, September 18, 2004 - 11:51 pm:

Hi! Do you need a dogsitter? I love pets, especially dogs. I can help you caring & walking with them. If you're interested, you may send me an email at snyder_diana22@yahoo.com. Thank you very much.

By Paula Hansen on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 11:05 am:

Apologies to anyone interested in the kitten. Aparently he was too far gone when I found him and he died 2 days later.

By Kara Rassi on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 9:38 am:

Recently moved to Tokyo and my apartment allows pets. I am looking for one or two kittens that are fun, loving, and warm personality. I had tabbies as a child and would love another one. Please let me know if you know of any kittens that match this description. Thank you!

By Jesario on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 12:35 am:

Hi Paula,

Just a thought.

The dandruff thing might be a food allergy.

It was with mine. After I changed the food my cat was friendlier, sleeping less, and the dandruff went away!

By Paula Hansen on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 10:47 am:

Kitten Found.
This poor little thing is the baby of one of the many wild cats around us. He? is about -5 weeks old, tabby and white. Too young to be scared and too weak to run away. He has some kind of dandruff as well.
Now as much as I would love to keep him and nurse him back to health I'm 7 months pregnant and we're not allowed pets in our apartment.
He's been eating kitten food and Ca+Fe+ milk and doesn't seem to mind a wash in the shower, besides this just sleeping a lot.
If anyone would like to rescue this baby from my washing basket please email me.
I live in Chiba on Tozai Line near Disneyland.

By very good dog on Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 11:00 pm:

A beautiful, sweet, quiet, intelligent, funny Chocolate Lab needs a new home. We've had to move from a house with a yard, to an apartment, and are unable to keep him here. If you know anyone who is looking for a semi-large dog (he's actually a little on the small side for a Lab), please show them this!
Neutered male, almost 1 1/2 yrs old. Will only give to someone who has experience in keeping larger breed dogs. Preferably will have a yard, but if not a yard, then will be able to take him daily for a run and/or a romp in a park or such.
Yokohama area, but can work out an arrangement to meet Tokyo/Chiba/etc..

This page doesn't seem to get much action, so I can only hope that it gets more viewers than posters...
HELP!

By Honey Nagakura on Tuesday, May 25, 2004 - 12:17 am:

Hi everybody! I am looking for a kitten that is about a few months old. If you find a kitten around please contact me at hon_bun55@hotmail.com Thank You!
btw I live in tokyo and so it is possible to meet up at shibuya or hiroo or anywhere else that is convenient.
-Honey

By Erika Adkison on Sunday, May 23, 2004 - 1:22 pm:

I am looking for a free kitten. I would prefer a male if possible. Please let me know if you have one or ideas of how to adopt one. Email me at eelgersma@yahoo.com or call Erika or Jason at 3457-1722

By Jamie on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 7:47 pm:

I live on Yokota Air Base and I would like to adopt a kitten. Does anyone have a kitten that they are going to sell or give away? Please call Jamie at 005793117579374 or email me at jamie009@yahoo.com

Thanks

By Jessica on Monday, May 17, 2004 - 11:41 pm:

Hello everyone,
I just got a beautiful kitten a week ago, only to find out that I will have to move to London in July.
He is the most adorable, affectionate, intelligent kitten I have ever seen, and it is going to be torture to leave him. That's why I would like to give him away as soon as possible, so that I don't get too attached, and that he gets time to get used to someone else. I have lots of photos if you think that you would like to take care of the cutest kitten ever...
Please help! Email Jessica at lagitane@hotmail.com, or call me on 080 5413 5824. Thanks!

By Cornelia on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 6:31 am:

Help !
We rescued a sweet little 5.5 kilo (12 pounds) dog in January. Since then we've had her spayed and her teeth cleaned, all her shots, etc. After the first few weeks her personality is shining through, and she absolutely doesn't bark at all! And she gets on well with most other dogs (basically ignores them).

However, the arrangement we had for dogsitting for Golden Week has just fallen through (the lady who was going to do it has hurt her ankle badly). I desperately need some help on this. Is anyone able to take on a darling "Fluffy" from 23 April to 5 May? (Our actual travel dates are morning 24 April to early morning 5 May). I would provide food and her medical record (in Japanese and in English) and a deposit in case of some emergency.

Also she is excellent with kids, even toddlers. And believe me, she sometimes gets too much attention from my 7 year old daughter (like dressing her up in t-shirts and sunglasses, etc). Please email me privately for photos or setting up an introduction date. c@tokyowithkids.com 03-3944-9611

PS we also have a travel crate for Fluffy that doubles as her hiding place when she needs privacy (we leave the door open and she goes in of her own accord). She sleeps there quite a lot.

By Nancy on Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 11:09 am:

FOR SALE
Excellent quality, sturdy cage distributed by Ohyama (Model OK-90N)New price was 16,000. Great for indoor/outdoor use or travel in car. Will hold dog up to 50 KG!!! Folds for storage. Open dimensions are 67 w x 88 d x 75 h (folded height is 16 cm high). Optional wooden floor can be removed for easy cleaning. Cage weighs 13 kgs. For photo visit the following link.
http://www.irisplaza.co.jp/ShopMain.asp?KB=MEISAI&CID=335&P=1&SKB=NML

By Karyn Robson on Sunday, October 19, 2003 - 7:45 am:

Dear Duncan,

I live in Shibuya-ku and have a golden retriever. Actually within one block of my house there are about 5 golden retrivers. Dogs are very popular here. It is possible to find houses/apartments which allow dogs. You can check out some housing online and see availablility with pets at http://www.japanhomesearch.com
http://www.yamate-homes.co.jp/english/
http://www.plazahomes.co.jp/index_e.htm
http://www.kencorp.com/

Karyn

By Duncan Alcock on Sunday, October 19, 2003 - 2:00 am:

I am considering a job opportunity in Tokyo am English, currently in London married with 2 children boy 9 and girl 7. We have just acquired a small puppy (shitzhu) and family very keen to keep. Is it realistic to rent family accomodation in Tokyo (possibly Shibuya area for access to the British School) with a dog of this size. On a separate note is the japanese culture favourable towards dogs as pets?

Any views welcome, thanks, Duncan

note from Admin: There are multitudes of dogs kept as pets here in the middle of the Tokyo! What amazes me is the number of dalmations, retrievers and other large dogs! Japanese are real dog lovers. There are about 5 stores within 7 blocks of my house that sell pet food, and 3 of them are exclusively selling food, etc. for pets.

By Pam on Wednesday, October 8, 2003 - 5:34 pm:

FREE KITTEN: 2 months old. Male. Yellow and Cream color. Has all shots taken up to now. Hachioji area- Can meet at Kitano St. on Keio Line Or at Costco. Will give to first taker. Very cute and very playful.

By Nancy on Wednesday, October 1, 2003 - 11:19 pm:

Nick,

Unwanted reptiles are a real problem in Tokyo. They turn up everywhere it seems. There is a reptile expert, Yosuke Yamamoto at the Ueno Zoo Animal Consultation Center. Maybe he can help.

By Nick Bikkal on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 12:43 pm:

I'd like to know where I can locate dog pounds/abandoned and found animals in Tokyo. I'm looking for a reptile. Nick

By Patricia Kou on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 2:49 pm:

I've seen the posting about Pet sitters/hotels in the from Hanna website, but I was wondering if anyone has tried any boarding places in the Ebisu/Hiroo/Azabu area? If you have, could you email me some information (name, address, phone number and your experience)?

Thank you!

By Yoko Steingrimsson on Tuesday, July 8, 2003 - 6:13 pm:

We provide your pet with the best quality care and attention, in the comfort of home setting.

We recelnty expanded our services and change the site address.
http://www.geocities.jp/doghomestay
(We have English information as well)
If you have any questions, please feel free to e-mail me at doghomestay@ybb.ne.jp or phone me 03-3671-6592

By Karyn Robson on Thursday, June 12, 2003 - 5:40 pm:

this is katie robson saying i will be unable to petsit over the summer, but after that i will still be available.

contact me at cryptic1213@hotmail.com

By Karyn Robson on Monday, June 9, 2003 - 8:36 pm:

this is katie robson, saying that my petsitting buisness is open to all kinds of animals, also i am not averse to adopting other animals in need of a new home, i love 'em all and have experience.
contact me at cryptic1213@hotmail.com
p.s another add was posted by a karyn robson, i am her daughter.

By Nancy on Friday, May 30, 2003 - 12:59 am:

Pet Sitter Wanted:

Tsuki and Abby need a pet sitter. Tsuki is a 1 year Triton Cockatoo. Abby is a 6 month old Bassett Hound. Our home is centrally located in the Bluff Area of Yokohama. Please e-mail me if you have experience and are interested. Photos available upon request.

By Lilja Steingrimsson on Monday, April 14, 2003 - 10:38 pm:

We have changed our homepage address as below.

We provide your pet with the best quality care and attention, in the comfort of home setting.
We have plenty space and love to care your dog.
Please refer to our site:
http://unik9.hp.infoseek.co.jp/index.html
(Sorry,only in Japanese)
If you have any questions, please feel free to e-mail me at faithful_dog@hotmail.com

We all speak English. (Japanese & Scandinavian mixed family with seven-year-old son)

Lilja

By Nancy on Friday, April 11, 2003 - 8:48 pm:

Are You Leaving Japan? Do You Need a Pet Carrier?

For Sale: Nylabone carrier, (made in the US) size small, holds up to 20 lb animal. Airline approved kennel. NEVER USED. Brand new, in box, includes travel kit (feeding bowls) Folds flat when not in use. Easy to Assemble. Paid 20,000. Asking price - 15,000 or best offer! Pick up in Yokohama or will send by takkyubin collect.

By Lilja Steingrimsson on Thursday, April 3, 2003 - 11:01 pm:

We have plenty space and love to care your dog.
Please refer to our site: http://www.geocities.jp/nakamura_1937/index.html (Sorry,only in Japanese)
If you have any questions, please feel free to e-mail me at ysteingrimsson@hotmail.com
We all speak English. (Japanese & Scandinavian mixed family with seven-year-old son)

Lilja

By Amy Roan on Saturday, December 7, 2002 - 3:08 pm:

Leaving Tokyo and must give away two guinea pigs - both long-hair - one male, one female. Excellent as family pet. Only one has a cage, other must supply own cage.

We live in Roppongi. Please contact at 3478-0163 or maroan@gol.com

By Jennifer Earnshaw on Sunday, November 17, 2002 - 7:30 pm:

Pure West Highland White Terrier free to good home. Owner family has been transferred and cannot take their family dog. Dog is one year old, house trained, has registration papers, EXCELLENT with kids, and is a happy little fellow. If you are interested, email me at jearnshaw@excite.com or call at 03.3449.7390.

By Admin on Wednesday, October 23, 2002 - 12:12 pm:

This link is to a page that contains information on how to adopt an abandoned pet from the municipal pounds:

http://www.jp.from-hanna.com/daily/pets/adopting.html

Many puppies and kittens as well as older animals can be found in these places. They are generally put to death within a week of arrival. Please rescue one!

By Cornelia on Tuesday, September 24, 2002 - 8:23 pm:

Looking for a "Golden" hamster pup. I understand that "Golden" refers to the breed and not to the color. They can also be grey and white.

Anyway, color is not so important. But we do want to take on a hamster that needs a home because the family is moving or whatever. A young one would be nice so that it could bond easily to my daughter, but an older one that is child friendly would be fine too. We are planning on staying here at least another 4 years.

ckurz@tokyowithkids.com

By Natasha on Tuesday, September 24, 2002 - 6:45 pm:

Has anyone tried out this cat-sitting service?

http://www.catsitter.jp/howto/howtoeng1.html

IF so, how did it go?
(Japanese is also available: http://www.catsitter.jp/)

By Tracy Watkins on Tuesday, August 13, 2002 - 5:10 pm:

We are looking for a regular walker for our five year old Beagle called Pulgas,he needs lots of exercise which I do not have the time for. He is very loving, a bit soppy really and great with everyone. We live in Shoto, Shibuya, very near the park. I want someone that can take him at least twice a day during the week and sometimes at weekends if needed. Please, contact me (Tracy) at my e mail address gauthierro1@aol.com if interested.

By Elizabeth Tuten on Saturday, June 1, 2002 - 7:27 pm:

9 month old Dalmation mix puppy. Has all current shots, microchipped, and is housetrained. Is not neutered yet because of liver problems(nothing serious, Vet wants to wait 2-3 months as a precaution). Needs a home with no other dogs and either no children or older children (13 years and older ONLY). Dog has been attacking my other 5 month old puppy and has snapped at my 6 year old daughter. VERY intelligent. Can sit, shake, beg, speak and lie down on command. Getting rid of him because of aggresiveness torwards children and other puppy. Besides that he is an excellent dog! He's is a little wary of men when he first meets them. Very loving. Serious inquiries ONLY! Please email hellokizzy@hotmail.com Located in Fussa-shi/Tachikawa on Yokota Air Base.

By Elizabeth Tuten on Thursday, May 23, 2002 - 4:27 pm:

Looking for a boarding facility in or around Tachikawa or Fussa-shi for 2 puppies. We are going on vacation in mid-June and need to find somewhere to board them ASAP. Please email with any information you might have. Thanks!
hellokizzy@hotmail.com

By Dumitru Camelia on Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 11:39 am:

If you need a pet sitter, i love animals and i can help you, taking care or walking them. Email dccami@yahoo.com or workchild@yahoo.fr

By Jessica King on Tuesday, April 2, 2002 - 1:24 pm:

As much as I hate to do this ... I think I'm going to have to look for a new home for my kitty. *sigh* She was an "unwanted kitten" and I saved her from being buried alive like the rest of her litter. (my friend's parents refuse to pay the 25,000 yen to get their cat spayed and routinely bury two litters a year ...) I live in the countryside now, but will be moving to Tokyo in the summer and I believe her personality isn't suited to being cooped in a 6-mat flat.

She's an eight-month old ADORABLE calico, has been recently spayed, and the most loving cat I've ever owned. She's really sociable, and I believe would be best suited for a multiple-person/animal household in a rural/semi-rural
area. She spends /hours/ outside and likes to "talk"when she's at home, which I think would be very problematic in a thin-walled flat like the one I'm sure to live in when I move. She likes a lot of attention, which is why I think she might be better off in a family with other animals.

I'm willing to pay all costs of getting her to her a new home, so If you or anyone you know would like to consider giving her a home, please contact me!

Hoping to hear from you soon!
Jessica, Fukushima-ken

By Karyn Robson on Wednesday, March 13, 2002 - 8:30 pm:

Hi!

If you are looking for someone to care for your pets while you go away, I have two very eager young petsitters awaiting your call. My daughters love animals and have had/cared for all manner of creatures including dogs,cats,ferrets,rabbits,bird,lizard,snakes) They are real animal lovers. They have acted as pet sitters in the past and have references. We live near Yoyogi Uehara station.

Please email kar3212@yahoo.com

Thanks

By Kirk Masden on Monday, March 4, 2002 - 8:51 am:

March 17, 2002
An opportunity (in Kumamoto, Kyushu) to put cats and dogs up for adoption or to adopt a pet): Namko Wonder City, Kumamoto City, tel: 096-375-1130 (You need to make an appointment to put a pet up for adoption).
Unfortunately, I think that it is only a one-day thing.

By Scott Hancock on Thursday, February 28, 2002 - 9:57 pm:

Dear Pug,
Some people from a place called Animal Plaza (tel 3716-1861) come and pick me up for "Puppy Kindergarten" where I play with other dogs and they teach me how to behave (so they think).

I am at least relieved that my owners found this place because the other dogs were telling me they'd been to some trainers that use punishment and lots of scolding to do their "training". These people do it with positive training. In dog, that means you get treats for doing what they want.

Not a bad way to spend an afternoon. Also, they bark the same as my owners who do not bark what other humans around here do.

One thing though is that my big male owner does some howling when it comes time to give treats to the trainers. He puts his paw on his back pocket and howls like crazy. I save my best sad looks for then.

Bones Hancock

By Juan Carlos on Thursday, February 28, 2002 - 4:49 pm:

Hi there! I have a 10 weeks old pug and I am looking for other puppy owners who would like to have a puppy-play time for their pups. If you are interested, please drop me a line. Also if you have any information on obedience training school would be greatly appreciated.

By Juan Carlos on Monday, February 4, 2002 - 11:38 pm:

Do you have unwanted doggie gadgets? crate and/or carry-on compartment bag for short trips? if you have and would like to give it away or sell for a low price please email me.

By Lisa Cirenza on Thursday, January 17, 2002 - 10:51 pm:

American family with large home and outdoor space looking for shih-tzu puppy (will consider other types--mutts etc...) Plan on being in Tokyo at least 3 more years, and will ABSOLUTELY take the dog as a member of our family wherever we may end up.

By pipiolo on Saturday, January 5, 2002 - 7:19 am:

Are you in need of a reliable pet sitter for your pooch or kitty? a fun walk in the park with boomer? HELP is here! I am reliable, honest and most important of all, I LOVE PETS. You may send me an email or call 090.6189.6070 for more information. pipiolo@galaxy.ocn.ne.jp

P.S. I am in Futakotamagawa area in Setagaya-ku, Tokyo.

By Stephanie on Friday, January 4, 2002 - 5:00 pm:

I may be able to help you with the dog walking. I sent an e-mail to you, but it came back to me. Depending on where you live, I could walk your dog for you on a regular basis. e-mail martinsteph@hotmail.com

By Judy Howland on Wednesday, January 2, 2002 - 12:55 am:

For anyone interested in a cat sitter (I'm not sure if she sits dogs or other animals) I use a company called "Rabbit Farm." They charge about 3500yen per day to come to my house and watch my two cats. The woman spends an hour or two here, and plays with them, feeds and waters them, and cleans the box. I've been using her services for years. She's great, very dependable, and loves cats. I don't know how
much English she speaks. Feel free to call me for more info (090-1701-1219) or call her directly (03-5626-8868) and tell her you got her number from Judy.

By Tracy Okuma on Thursday, December 27, 2001 - 4:34 pm:

Does anyone know of a dog walking service in Tokyo? Any ideas would be welcome.

By Caroline Yoshimura on Monday, December 10, 2001 - 12:58 am:

Dobutsu-Tachi-No Kai has 13 cats and one Yorkshire Terrier who urgently need homes. All animals came from a breeder. Cats range from long hair to short hair. Some female, some male. For more information please contact Caroline Yoshimura 03-3382-1202; cyoshi@zaf.att.ne.jp a representative for Dobutsu-Tachi-No Kai (Group for Animals) Shinmachi 3-34-2, Hino-Shi TOKYO 191-0002 JAPAN phone: 0425 83 2908 fax: 0425 84 4324

By LIO on Saturday, November 17, 2001 - 8:01 pm:

Kumamoto City (NOT TOKYO)

I'm looking for someone who would like to adopt and love a little jet-black stray kitten two to three months old, female, with a very sweet temperament, that I found today. I'm unable to care for it as I have a dog in the house and I'm already caring for an abandoned cat that showed up on my doorstep about a year ago. I will deliver the kitten to you.

By Catherine Garrett Griffiths on Friday, November 9, 2001 - 12:40 am:

Possibilities for kitty adoption in Tokyo:

The Benevolent Cat Society
Contact Mrs. Ute Ikuta 3983-4985.

Fran at Homestay Kitties 03-3559-9864

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: