Help
Getting Started
Register Here
Edit Profile
Troubleshooting
Contact Admin

For Admins
Forum Software

Any infant friendly onsen recommendations?

Japan With Kids - Forums: Traveling to/from and in Japan: Any infant friendly onsen recommendations?
By Ghoshida on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 8:05 pm:

My wife and I will be taking a trip to Tokyo in 6-7 months from now with our infant who will be about 6 months old by then. We love going to the onsen but with baby on the way, we are concerned about not disturbing other guests too much who might be surprised by the sounds of a crying baby in the next room.

Does anyone know of any kid friendly onsens in either the Kansai or Kanto regions?

By Lenemaia on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 10:33 am:

Do you mean that you want to bring your baby down with you to the onsen itself (in the water or even just in the room)? Or are you looking for a child-friendly onsen-hotel?

I think most hotels are friendly to babies/toddlers/kids. Onsen-hotels too. You need to tell them you are bringing a baby when you book your room tho and you need to bring everything with you and clean the bottles etc. in the bathroom. It's not easy, I tried it, but it can be done.
I don't know of any specific hotel I can recommend you. We usually go to Hokkaido.

I have never heard of an "infant-friendly" onsen. The Japanese themself never take their babies or toddlers to onsen before at least 3 or 4 years of age. The water is too hot and even if you don't take the baby with you in the water, you still have the steam (and sulfer) in the air.

Best of luck.

By Naomi_ on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 10:53 am:

This is a child friendly onsen in Chiba. I have never been there myself but it looks good from looking at it on the internet, also this onsen has been advertised in many japanese baby magazines. Unfortunately the website is written in japanese

http://www.monya.co.jp/room.html

By Star on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 11:09 am:

These are links to kid's friendly hotels too. (sorry it is in Japanese too)

And that is true, Japanese usually don't take infants to Onsen. I took my daughter when she is 2 years old.
But it is nice place for parents to relax.

Good luck and hope you can enjoy nice onsen!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: