Edit Profile
Troubleshooting
Contact Admin

For Admins
Forum Software

Bicycles

Japan With Kids - Forums: Shopping in Japan: Bicycles
By Sandy Cox on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 8:34 am:

If you like those cool bikes that you can fold up and put in a bag to carry on the train or in the back of your car easily, then take a look at this company.

http://www.rakuten.co.jp/biox/ (Japanese only)

They supply Honda, but the prices when they sell direct via their web site are significantly lower. Delivery by Takyubin anywhere in Japan.

By Christina Vogdes on Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 2:20 pm:

Can you add a motor to a 1 speed shopping bicycle? Not knowing what I was doing when I purchased my bicycle I just bought a 1 speed. This is not my main means of transportation but I do like to run errands with it and getting back up the hills is killer. I am wondering if anyone has ever added a motor to a bicycle. Thanks!

By Cathy Edwards on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 8:21 am:

Christina
I asked our local bike shop the same question and was told that it would be cheaper to buy a new bike!

By sharonlamb on Sunday, September 18, 2005 - 9:17 pm:

Hi
I'm trying to find out the make of a japanase made childs bike seat that fits onto the front of a bike between the handlebars and adult seat. I once saw one advertised second-hand on e-bay which was japanese made and looked very good. Most bike seats seems to be rear-mounted. Can anyone supply me with any details of where one might be purchased over the internet?
thanks

By Yuko Kubota on Sunday, September 18, 2005 - 11:44 pm:

Sharonlamb,

Almost every bicycle shop in Japan sells baby seats that fit to the front.

However, most mothers say that it's safer to keep your child sitting on the back (but for me it isn't, so it might depend on the kind of biking skill you have).

Also, a company called Maruishi makes the popular series called Flacker's Como in which the child's seat is equipped to the bike from the beginning, and turns into a basket when you're not carrying your child.
http://www.maruishi-cycle.com/como/index.html

This is said to be safer than fitting seats afterwards, since the bike is designed so that the baby seat won't get in the way of your knees.

But I'm not sure if they're available for overseas sales, and I'm assuming you're not in Japan.

By Tara on Sunday, September 18, 2005 - 11:48 pm:

The reason why most are mounted in the back is that the front-mounted ones are very dangerous. They are extremely unstable. I've seen these fall down at the shopping center with the child in the seat more times than I can count (happens more than you will want to believe, even when the mother is being cautious, so this is not a "could never happen to me" scenario).

What's more, when the kids are seated in the front, they seem to go flying much farther when they do go down than if they are seated in the back (seated in the back, they pretty much fall down with the bike; seated in the front, they land away from the bike much more often). In one case here in Adachi-ku about 10 years ago the child landed pretty far from the bike and was then hit by a passing car.

Buy what you like, but I would recommend that you proceed with caution, especially if you are thinking (as many of us do) that it will be safer in front because you can watch the child more carefully while pedaling.

By Leo Naughton on Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 12:57 pm:

Well we had this bike accident last week. We've 1 kid in front and one in back. Didn't look for a sec and the bike fell with kid in front!! Hit his head off the kerb (just underneath his helmet)

Ended up in ambulance but was ok. Front seat is unstable!! Believe me .. cycle along the road and if kid moves in front, the steering is unstable.

We've one of the famous brands that is selling that it is stable. take care!!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: