Edit Profile
Troubleshooting
Contact Admin

For Admins
Forum Software

Smoking in Japan

Japan With Kids - Forums: Health Topics: Smoking in Japan
By Anonymous on Monday, September 20, 1999 - 10:43 am:

I am a teacher in the U.S. and I'm very concerned about children smoking. Every day 3,000 American children become addicted to tobacco.

I recently visited Japan and saw that many Japanese teens also smoke. Do you have any organizations that are trying to curb the use of tobacco among the young? Can you tell me if anything is being done to protect children from the tobacco industry?

Do you know of any students who would like to work with mine in trying to keep tobacco products out of the hands of children?

By Rabid anti-smoker on Saturday, November 4, 2000 - 8:03 pm:

I can't really help you, but I have lived in Japan and will be going to Tokyo again soon to join my fiance who now works there. When I visited him I was shocked at how bad the smoking problem was. (I hadn't really noticed when I lived there before). In Australia smoking has just been banned from all restaurants and cafes which is probably the most intelligent law this country has seen for a long time. But in Tokyo it seems that people can (and do) smoke whenever and wherever they feel like it. It's appalling that they can be so unaware of what a disgusting poison this habit is. I would love to start some kind of awareness in Tokyo of how bad it is for you, but I have a feeling it would be a long hard slog.

By Cornelia on Tuesday, January 6, 2004 - 9:47 am:

Since I first came to Japan, there have been many changes in public policies towards smoking. The first most noticeable change was when smoking was restricted to specified smoking areas on the train platforms (around 1994?). This past year smoking was banned altogether from many train platforms.

Throwing out old papers, I found the following info in a Daily Yomiuri paper (page 18, edition A) dated 29 April 2003, article by staff writer Noriyuki Yoshida.

A professor at Nara Women's University named Takahashi Yuko started an email list in 1997 with helpful hints and encouragement to help people stop smoking. She tried to stop it when it got to be too much work for her, but the list was so popular that some of the participants urged her to continue and even built a website called http://www.kinen-marathon.org to continue the support program. They also volunteered to work as administrators and advisors via the web site. They claim to have a 60% success rate at helping ex-smokers stop themselves from starting up again.

I found the following paragraph very telling since it exhibits a similar attitude held towards people who drink:
"Takahashi opposes the still prevalent idea that smoking is a matter of mentality, that smokers should feel bad for smoking, and that they cannot kick the habit because they lack will power."

And in a plug for the power of the Internet:
" "A person who seeks help today turns to help someone else tomorrow. Such role flexibility is one of the Internet's advantages," Takahashi said."

This web site is in Japanese of course but it also has a substantial section in English. I have not used it myself. If anyone out there tries it out, please post your commments here!

By Tonette Binsol on Thursday, May 18, 2006 - 7:36 am:

A Smoking Cessation Seminar for Filipinos in Chiba and nearby areas:

Cigarette smoking causes 87 percent of lung cancer deaths and is responsible for most cancers of the larynx, oral cavity and pharynx, esophagus, and bladder.

EPAANO NATIN MAPANGANGALAGAAN ang ating KALUSUGAN LABAN sa Lung Cancer, TB at Depression? E

- A Lecture by a Filipino Doctor

Date: May 21, 2006 (Sunday)
Time: 1:30 pm
Venue: Ichikawa Catholic Church
Admission fee: Free

For reservations, please email: laura@ytp.ne.jp or tpmovers@gmail.com .

Lahat ng mga Pinoy at mga samahan ay welcome na dumalo sa lecture na ito!

How to get there:

Iichikawa Catholic Church
Address: 3-13-15 Yawata, Ichikawa City, Chiba Pref. 272-0021

1. JR Sobu Line & Yokosuka Line Motoyawata Sta. ENorth Exit, 5 mins. walk
2. Keisei Line Yawata Sta. 3 mins. walk
3. TOEI Shinjuku Line Motoyawata Sta. Chiba Kaido Exit , 3 mins. walk

http://www.tpmovers.org/SmokingCessation.htm

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: