Edit Profile
Troubleshooting
Contact Admin

For Admins
Forum Software

Solar radiation

Japan With Kids - Forums: Health Topics: Solar radiation
By Linda Gondo on Saturday, January 15, 2005 - 9:39 am:

I only recently heard that there is exposure to solar radiation when flying which could be harmful to a fetus. This is apparantly quite "old news" although most people I have talked to know nothing about it. Is a return flight to Scotland from Tokyo something to worry about or am I being paranoid? I have been invited to a wedding in Scotland in August, and although I am not pregnant now, I hope to be. Also, flying in a solar storm increases exosure much more. Can they predict solar storms so that one can avoid flying then? Any comments greatly appreciated.

Linda Gondo

By Bethan Hutton on Saturday, January 15, 2005 - 10:23 am:

I remember hearing about this a few years ago, but I seem to remember the report I read said that occasional travel as a passenger wouldn't amount to dangerous exposure, but if you were a frequently flying airline crew member you might possibly have cause for concern, though I don't think there have been any in-depth studies on the subject.

I certainly flew at least half a dozen times (short and long haul) during both my pregnancies and have two very healthy children, for what it's worth.

By Linda Gondo on Friday, January 21, 2005 - 2:40 pm:

Thanks Bethan for your input regarding solar radiation.
Regards,

Linda Gondo

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: