Help
Getting Started
Register Here
Edit Profile
Troubleshooting
Contact Admin

For Admins
Forum Software

Child Safety - Car Seats, Mechanical doors/stairs, etc.

Japan With Kids - Forums: Health Topics: Child Safety - Car Seats, Mechanical doors/stairs, etc.
By Masden on Tuesday, April 18, 2000 - 1:20 pm:

Car Seat Law!
From Kumamoto City, 15 Apr 2000
This is a somewhat old issue now, but I thought I'd introduce some statistics I found in the Kumanichi on traffic accidents and children.

Last year, 173 children under the age of six were injured or killed in Kumamoto when the cars they were riding in became involved in traffic accidents. Of them, only 16% were in child seats. The number of injuries could have been reduced considerably if child seats had been used by all of the drivers of those vehicles.

http://www.kumanichi.co.jp/dnews/20000331/kiji2_0000001334.html

Another article indicated that the average rate of use in Kumamoto is (or was?) 35% which is lower than the national average.
http://www.kumanichi.co.jp/dnews/20000401/kiji2_0000001341.html

Kirk Masden

By Cornelia on Friday, May 26, 2000 - 8:09 am:

Some research on the subject of children's car seats. This was written for an American audience, but some points certainly apply everywhere:

Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 22:00:54 -0400
Subject: Car Seats

Car seats that are more than 7 years old should not be used because the metal or plastic in the frame starts to deteriorate and can have tiny cracks in it that can cause it to break in an accident. Car seats are also made to withstand just one crash - even a fairly minor crash can cause enough damage that the seat will not function properly during the next crash.

If you have an older car seat or one that has been through a crash, replace it immediately. Destroy the old one so no one else can use it - cut the straps out, use a sledge hammer to break the frame. If you just put it out with the trash, someone is bound to pick it up and use it.

Never use a car seat if you don't know its age and crash history. Be sure any used car seat has its original manufacturer's instructions (and study them thoroughly!) and ALL the parts. You can get replacement parts and instructions from the manufacturers - all of the big ones have websites.

Look around in your community for a child safety seat checkpoint, where trained people will look at your car, your child and your seat and make sure they all work together as they are designed to. At these checkpoints, we find errors in use and installation in 80-95% of the seats. It's a tremendously complicated thing to install a car seat - I have been working with them for years and just got back from a four-day training course, where I was learning something new and important all the time, so don't feel discouraged, get help. Call your local fire or police departments, the pediatrician's office, the children's hospital -somebody is bound to be running a checkpoint.

Stepping off my soapbox, Sue Berres

To: ckurz_at__tokyowithkids.com
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2000 11:44:12 -0500
Subject: Request permission to "re-print"

Sorry it has taken me a while to get back to you. Yes, you may certainly reprint this. I am an occupational therapist at a children's medical center and am certified by the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration as a Child Passenger Safety Technician, which involves taking an intensive four-day course, a written test and two practical tests. In my job, I work mostly with children who won't fit into regular car seats because of casts, etc., after orthopedic surgery. Our hospital sometimes sponsors child safety seat checkpoints for the general public, which are held in a convenient parking lot for 4-5 hours on a weekend morning, with several technicians and lots of volunteers present to check seats as parents bring them in. Our local firemen have also been trained in a 1-2 day course and perform free checks at the fire stations from 9-5 on weekdays for any parent that comes in.

You can find a lot more information on child passenger safety from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration website:
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/injury/childps/
and the SafetyBeltSafe USA website:
http://www.carseat.org/ . (United States of America)

Good luck! Sue Berres

By Cornelia on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 1:39 pm:

Terrible Accident -- please be careful. I can only too easily see this having been my own impetuous, fast moving, daughter.

Boy dies after head gets stuck in revolving door at Roppongi Hills

Saturday, March 27, 2004 at 08:00 JST
TOKYO EA 6-year-old boy died after getting his head stuck in a revolving door at the Roppongi Hills complex in central Tokyo on Friday.

Ryo Mizokawa became trapped as he rushed into the revolving door just ahead of his 38-year-old mother at the second-floor front entrance of a high-rise tower, officials at the commercial complex said.

By Pato on Monday, January 31, 2005 - 9:26 am:

Picking up your children at International School with car!
I have heard of two incidents at two different international schools where a child was run over by a parent backing up their vehicle in a school pick-up area.

To try to work preventively agains this type of accident here is what I found:

* The rule of thumb for commercial drivers in the USA is never to back up the vehicle, unless there is someone outside the vehicle supervising exactly what is going on behind the vehicle. This rule is for all vehicles that have a blind area behind them, and these days many people own oversized cars that need to be driven with the same care as a truck. Kids move very fast and unpredictably and are shorter than other people. Please don't back up! Wait for whatever is in front of you to move out of the way and proceed in a forward direction.

* If your child is on foot, please review strategy for maneuvering around larger cars that appear to be still, and explain to them that the driver may not be able to see them so they have to be extra careful. The rule of thumb for crossing around large vehicles that have a driver in the seat and an engine on, is to make eye contact with the driver! There are reasons why this may not always be easy to do, but it is better to wait than to be hasty. (Yeah, I know, this is not a concept that will sink in with some younger kids. I know people over 50 who haven't got this one down!)

Hope this post helps prevent another accident!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: