Edit Profile
Troubleshooting
Contact Admin

For Admins
Forum Software

Pesticide

Japan With Kids - Forums: Health Topics: Pesticide
By Ann on Thursday, June 8, 2000 - 1:30 am:

My apartment is located between two large vegetable gardens. The farmers spray pesticide several times a year. There is no warning at all before they do so. I usually have my windows open and I can smell the pesticides when they are spraying. I am wondering the health hazards that may cause us because I get dirt from the gardens in the house and I am sure on a windy day the pesticide molecules will be blown to our apartment. I do find that some of the nearby farmers spray chemicals to get rid or weed. I am very concern because I have a baby in the house and we have baby foods that are uncovered sometimes. I would like at least a warning before any spraying occurs. Is there a standard that the farmers must use about these chemicals? Who would I need to find out from about these regulations? Does anyone know about the health hazards to these chemicals?

Ann
atang-tky@umin.ac.jp

By Amy on Thursday, June 8, 2000 - 1:54 am:

Ann,
I have the same problem. In addition, my farming neighbors burn in the spring and fall without notice, on weekdays, weekends or holidays. While they're at it, they add trash such as styrofoam, plastics, etc. The smoke is often black and we have burning throats for days. I had two prairie dogs and it is no coincidence that the weaker one died when he was exposed to the full effect one day when the windows were left open. It is a very tight-knit community and even the volunteer firemen burn plastics after gatherings!
Amy

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: