Edit Profile
Troubleshooting
Contact Admin

For Admins
Forum Software

Mumps on the rise

Japan With Kids - Forums: Health Topics: Mumps on the rise
By Mina on Tuesday, April 18, 2006 - 9:48 pm:

I want to inform all moms about mumps outbreak in Tokyo. Several people whom I know have got mumps in the last one month.
It is shocking that none of this is reported in the media.
Here are basic precautions you can take:

As mumps is airborne, avoid crowded places especially trains, where so many people travel.

Disease profile
Mumps, also known as parotis epidemica, is caused by the mumps virus, a member of the family Paramyxoviridae, genus Paramyxovirus and is related to the parainfluenza viruses. Mumps is an acute viral disease usually characterized by fever, swelling, and tenderness of one or more salivary glands under the jaw and in the cheeks. Although usually a mild childhood disease, complications including deafness, meningitis (an inflammation of the lining of the brain and spinal cord) and in adolescent and adult males, orchitis (painful inflammation of one or both testes), may occur.

Transmission
The mumps virus is spread by direct contact with or inhalation of the secretions from an infected personfs nose or mouth. Recognized less regularly than other childhood communicable diseases, such as measles or chickenpox, mumps has a period of communicability similar to that of influenza and rubella. With an incubation period of 14-18 days (range, 14-25 days), maximum transmission of mumps is felt to occur between the period extending from 1 to 2 day before the onset of symptoms to 5 days after.

Natural remedy is OLE(Olive Leaf Extract).

By Steve K on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 10:32 am:

Mumps outbreak in Tokyo? Possibly (depending on your ward and definition of the word "outbreak"). Shocking? Nope.

Please note that the vaccination against the mumps is voluntary in Japan. I haven't spoken to my wife about it, but based on her reaction and the reaction from other mothers in our neighbourhood when our daughter and some of her playmates got and got over the mumps in the past month, I think they generally consider it a mild childhood disease. That is probably why immunization against the mumps is voluntary in Japan (see http://www.vaclib.org/basic/japanusa.htm which I found in the Immunizations section). I think emedicine.com or mayoclinic.com would refer to Japan as part of the 85% of the world where mumps is still a common disease. That's probably why it's not newsworthy.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: