Edit Profile
Troubleshooting
Contact Admin

For Admins
Forum Software

Car Seats Child

Japan With Kids - Forums: Consumer Reports: Car Seats Child
By Heather Montgomery on Wednesday, July 2, 2003 - 6:55 pm:

Does anyone have recommendations on car seats? I am planning to buy one for our 10 month old, who has been using an infant seat for which he is now too heavy. He is about 10 kg now. Any suggestions on brands etc... would be appreciated.

By Caroline on Thursday, July 3, 2003 - 5:41 am:

Heather, just a suggestion: you may find a child seat at your local recycle center. Where I live, in Musashino-shi, the Silver Center (Recycle center) always has two or three for sale at ridiculous prices (500Y).

By Emily Homma on Thursday, July 3, 2003 - 8:45 am:

Hi! I prefer a child car seat made in any country with high safety standards. We bought an attractive car seat 2 yrs. ago but found out after a few months through a TV show that it's one of those substantard types that could endanger your baby's life. Last year, there was one Japanese TV channel that showed all the seats that could be found in Japan that didn't pass safety tests. After viewing the news feature, we bought a new , safer one at once (pretty new- in a recycle shop).I suggest you choose the ones using Motor vehicle brands, or those made in US,UK, Canada, or Australia (my opinion). And yes, you can find them in recycle shops for just 500 yen ~2,000 yen.

By Scott Hancock on Thursday, July 3, 2003 - 11:08 am:

It is a very bad idea to buy a lifesaving device that is used. Any site in the U.S. on the subject will say this. You have no idea as to the history of the seat. Not something to economize on.

Emily's comments from the TV show aren't surprising, either. The child seat regulation in Japan is fairly new. I agree with her idea of buying imported ones that will also be certified in some way you can understand and, if language is an issue the instructions for installation will be in English.

If you travel by air, SOME of the seats sold in the U.S. are specifically also certified for use on airplanes.

Scott

By Scott Hancock on Thursday, July 3, 2003 - 11:10 am:

P.S.

You might be able to find a previously owned one whose owner you know and trust, in which case it would be ok.

By Heather Montgomery on Thursday, July 3, 2003 - 4:00 pm:

Hi All:

Thanks everyone for the suggestions so far. How about these brands in particular - does anyone have experience or information about them?

Aprica "Mushroom J"
Combi "Neoshisu Fast 2.5"
Takata "Miribu 4000EX"

I know they are not the foreign brands recommended by Emma (any suggestions as to where I might buy those brands new in Japan?) These are brands I can order from a catalogue and the ones that looked good: lots of safety information etc...

But if anyone has more concrete information on these brands I would appreciate suggestions. Emma, what type of motor vehicle brands were you thinking of?

Heather

By Emily Homma on Thursday, July 3, 2003 - 10:56 pm:

I can't remember the brands but could be Honda, Nissan, Toyota...some auto companies make child seats suited for their manufactured vehicles. As suggested in the TV program, it would be better if such child seats are installed by the makers themselves, or they can demonstarte to you the proper way of installing it. I'll see if I could still find those auto-brands next time we shop ,and send you a note at once if we find some.

By Lars Nielsen on Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 10:25 am:

Try to get a child seat that has a strap across the chest. My two kids learned how to put their arms under the main straps when they were about two years old. They take delight in doing this on every journey! A chest strap would strop them (I think). Any day now they're going to figure out how to undo the buckle themselves (looks dead easy to me!). Why on earth can't they design child-proof child-seats?

By Fukuya Iino on Wednesday, November 17, 2004 - 3:23 pm:

Does anyone have Ipsum (toyota) or Odyssey (honda) without child seat (isofix?) latches? I called toyota, and they told me to remove child seats on the second row every time when somebody has to use the third row seats. Otherwise seat belts bound to the child seats will be an obstacle to get into the third row.
I am hesitating to buy new models of the cars with the latches, as they are still a little pricy. My wife will bring two Britax Roundabout child seats from the USA.
Fukuya

By Nancy on Thursday, November 18, 2004 - 12:06 pm:

There are different seat configurations in the Ipsum, but if the second row is not a bench seat, but two "captain" seats, then you can walk between the seats to get to the third row. Of course, it would be simpler to push the second row seats forward, but with a child seat that is difficult. The second row seats slide forward which would give you a bit more room. if you are using a rear facing child seat, then it would be awkward..

I have seen the third row of seats used for child seats, which can be bolted down for security. Maybe that is the best option.

By Fukuya Iino on Thursday, November 18, 2004 - 10:44 pm:

Thank you so much, Nancy!
Fukuya

By Sarah Yasuhara on Sunday, May 29, 2005 - 3:05 pm:

I'd like to buy a child seat that turns into a stroller. This is to be used on my trip back to Australia this summer. Has anyone bought one in Japan? Is there a type you would recommend? I live in Tokyo. All comments / advice appreciated!
Sarah

By Tia Tanaka on Monday, July 11, 2005 - 1:16 pm:

Hello,

I am wondering if there is anyone who knows of car seats that can be used in the aeroplane. We do have an infant car seat, that our baby has outgrown in. We are trying to get a car seat that can also be used in the aeroplane? Any recommendation, and where to get them? Can they be used from one year old onwards?

Thanks,
Tia

By Anne Bergasse on Monday, July 11, 2005 - 6:54 pm:

hi Tia
We traveled on 6 different flights last year - 3 different airlines with a 2.5 year old and a 1-year old and were not allowed to use a car seat - though we took one for each. They insisted that we check them. Something to do with not being able to verify their effectiveness. I'll be curious to know the outcome of your trip.
cheers, anne

By Scott Hancock on Monday, July 11, 2005 - 7:02 pm:

Here's a link that talks about this in the 3rd paragraph:
http://www.babycenter.com/expert/baby/babytravel/1348015.html
But, my understanding is that there can be a variance by airline. And, I suppose U.S. airlines might have different rules than other countries'. It would always be prudent to check with the airline being used - more than once and in writing if possible.

By Steve B on Monday, July 11, 2005 - 8:52 pm:

We were just at Baby's R Us this weekend to look at seats for a 1+ year old. The woman who helped us actually worked for a Japanese company that makes car seats. She told us that NONE of the Japanese brands are allowed by the airlines, and since the regulations here are so haphazard (new, constantly evolving), few can actually be used legally outside of Japan, and some are dubious even in Japan. She recommended that, if possible, we purchase one in the U.S. (our destination) where standards are much more strict (also new and constantly evolving).

She did not know which foreign-made seats are allowed on airlines. The airlines themselves may be the only ones who know.

Interested to hear more discussion.
Steve

By Amanda Jones on Monday, July 11, 2005 - 9:18 pm:

Hi Tia,

I bought our carseats in the US and they state on the box that they are FAA (Federal Aviations Administration) approved for use on airplanes. I have used them on American Airlines and United Airlines. I am surprised the airlines didn't allow Anne to bring her seats on the plane. It seems like having a carseat would be safer than no carseat.

I have a friend in the US who works for Boeing (an airplane maker) and she said children are much safer in carseats because the most common injury to a young child is falling out of their seat or injuring themselves due to turbulence.

Good luck and please post any new information you learn.

Amanda

By Andrew J. Hazelton on Monday, July 11, 2005 - 9:53 pm:

We used one on an airplane once. As I recall, the check-in agent looked to make sure it was an FAA approved carseat.

Honestly speaking, it's a lot more pleasant to travel without a car seat. There is more space around the seat to play and more options for sleeping posture. We have never used one since then. As far as safety goes, it is probably safer in the case of turbulence, but other than that, I don't think there is a lot of value in using one, because the types of incidents that would be expected in an airplane are different than in a car.

By Scott Hancock on Monday, July 11, 2005 - 10:25 pm:

Andrew-
I'm very puzzled by your dismissing turbulence as not the most important safety consideration. What other types of incidents would be more important than keeping child from being a projectile?
Simple Google search yields numerous authoritative recommendations.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding...?
Scott

By Andrew J. Hazelton on Monday, July 11, 2005 - 10:37 pm:

Scott,
I think you misunderstand. In the case of turbulence, I think a car seat is safer than no car seat. In the case of a more dangerous event, I don't think it makes much difference. I am not a safety expert. If you are concerned about safety, please follow the recommendations. I have traveled on long flights with young kids and personally find the car seat to be a nuisance.

By Dawn on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 7:29 am:

Hi Tia,
Like Steve B., we tried to purchase a carseat in Japan and were told that none were approved for flying.
Our airline was Northwest, which said we had to use an FAA-approved carseat. What we wound up doing was traveling to the U.S. without a carseat and then buying an inexpensive ($50 or so) FAA-approved one in the U.S. and bringing it back with us. In our case, traveling with the carseat was more comfortable for our child. As a side note, the check-in agents on a two-leg journey never did look to see if the seat was FAA approved, which was odd.

By kainuma gabriela on Friday, May 26, 2006 - 5:38 pm:

hi
i have for sale a stroller which can be used as car seat too,very good condition
if you interested e-mail me at kainumag.jpn@docomo.ne.jp
thank you

By Susan Yun on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 10:13 am:

Hi. I am in the process of looking for a convertible car seat that will fit a small car (Nissan March). I looked online on U.S. websites but the seats are too big. Any
recommendations where I can purchase an affordable car seat? So far the least expensive one I've seen is for 31,290 yen which I think is still a little steep for my budget. I live outside of Yokohama but will travel to Tokyo or surrounding vicinity for one. Thanks in advance.

By Helen Braithwaite on Friday, June 1, 2007 - 6:04 pm:

What is the law on using car seats in Japan?
I have just visited a really nice preschool BUT they took the children to the park in a car with no car seats. I can't let my son go there because of this and I just wondered what the law was.
Thanks.

By Steve K on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 11:28 am:

As I understand it, drivers are responsible for having children under 6, who are in their cars, securely fastened in a child seat under the Road Traffic Control Law, which went into effect on May 10, 2000. That being said, the law seems to rarely be enforced; I still see many parents driving with their kids in their laps!

By Lindagondo on Friday, November 9, 2007 - 3:37 pm:

A friend of mine is coming to Tokyo to live with her new baby and wants to find out which infant car seats best fit in taxis here and also which brands are most easily installed without a base. Is there anyone reading this forum that uses taxis a lot? What do you recommend? Also, any recommendations for what to do when the baby grows out of her infant carseat?

By Pato on Tuesday, November 1, 2011 - 3:50 pm:

Evidence against the efficacy of car seats for children over 2 years old:
TED talk by Steven Levitt
http://www.ted.com/talks/steven_levitt_on_child_carseats.html

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: