Getting Started
Register Here
Edit Profile
Troubleshooting
Contact Admin

For Admins
Forum Software

Cats Spraying!

Japan With Kids - Forums: Repairs and Maintenance: Cats Spraying!
By Suzanne on Tuesday, January 25, 2005 - 11:47 am:

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to rid my garden of the neighborhood cats or at least keep them from spraying near my house. As soon as it gets warm I'd like my kids to be able to play outside.
Thanks! Suzanne

By Nancy on Tuesday, January 25, 2005 - 8:34 pm:

Suzanne,
Years ago we went to great lengths to try and keep cats away due to a severe allergic reaction. Attached is a link to an article suggesting a few options. Your solution may depend on how the cats gain access to the garden. Good Luck!
P.S. Now we have dogs and the cats don't come near our place!
http://www.bluegrassgardens.com/cats_out_of_garden_article_011.htm

By Steve K on Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 9:39 am:

Hi Suzanne,
You could try the Coleus canina plant. It's probably not available at your local gardening store, but I have seen one Japanese website advertising it.
Steve

By Admin on Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 10:43 am:

Dear Suzanne,
If you are in a hurry, you can use the "Empty PET Bottle Filled With Water" trick. I had a cat coming up my stairwell and spraying on my daughter's tricycle. I strategically placed two large filled pet bottles in front. And the cat stopped spraying there. He found another spot he liked right where I was hanging my dustpan, and I put another bottle there. He finally went off somewhere else. I finally got rid of the bottle after about a year ;-) I'm not sure how well this will work out-of-doors.

By Trupti Gandhi on Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 11:28 am:

i think admin's trick will work outdors as well... as i have seen many pet bottles near the roots of plants in japanese gardens... and i was told by a japanese friends that they keep the cats away...

may be yuko can chime in here!!

By Yuko Kubota on Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 12:32 pm:

>may be yuko can chime in here!!

Wow, thanks for the call :-)

Unfortunately, I don't know much about this issue, but I notice that people do say that bottles often _don't_ work. Although, we have some word of experience here, so it's worth a try, I suppose.

I notice that gardening or DIY shops sell cat-avoiding goods, along with crow-avoiding goods. Also, some say that it's important that all neighbors do not feed stray cats and keep their pet cats inside the house, but each person has different opinions on how to live with animals, so that is that.

Among the cat-avoiding goods, I noticed a rag with thorns. So I once planted some toothpicks up-side-down in my garden. I'm not sure if it worked or not. I didn't have such a harsh problem from the beginning.

If it so happens that it's dogs, you can put out a sign to encourage pet owner's manners (Japan does not allow stray dogs, so basically all dogs have owners). I think the signs are also available at public facilities, but I'm not sure.

In any case, this might be a good chance to talk to your neighbors to see how they're dealing with it. No one likes the smell of what cats leave behind.

By Suzanne on Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 8:04 pm:

Thanks for all your advice. I will start with the PET bottles, while I look for the plants and cat avoid spray. Hopefully something will work by the time the weather gets
nicer.
I had heard that people put out PET bottles, but no one could tell me why they worked (or people thought they worked). Does anyone know?
On another note, one of the cats has does not have a collar and has a large wound on it's leg. Is there an animal protection agency or no-kill shelter I could call to come pick-up the cat to provide care for it?
Suzanne

By Janine Boyd on Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 8:51 pm:

Scat cat!
I cant stand the cats getting into my rubbish either so I will give you everything Ive got in my handy book called Molly Dyes Survival Manual
available at Australian Newsagents 008 022 552
Try any or all of these ideas
Page 10
" ...cats detest the smell of Oil of Wintergreen available from the pharmacy,....they also hate turpentine or fresh orange peel. Use liberally. Dampen strips of rag and tie these rags about the area affected.
(This works for dogs too)
OR
Sprinkle moth balls (flaked ) around the garden........does not harm plants.
OR
Chop a whole bulb (not just a clove) of garlic or a strong onion, mix with a tablespoon of cayenne pepper OR a teaspoon of tabasco to 4 cups of tepid water. Strain into sprayer for indoors or use in watercan for outdoors.
OR
You can also buy a commercial product in Australia called
D-TER ...scares off dogs, cats, crows and other birds

The pet bottle idea I know is good for dogs. Never heard of it working for cats, but its worth a shot I guess.
Suzanne, the reason it works is that dogs are smart enough to never spoil a water source....I suppose incase they have to drink it some day.
Hope one of these ideas works for your pesky friend

By Admin on Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 10:53 pm:

I heard that the pet bottle thing works because the animal catches a reflection of themself and think it is another cat, but maybe just the movement or flickering of a reflection is enough. It's hard to see anything "accurately" reflected in a PET bottle! (I should really check the urban myth web site before posting this...)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: