Edit Profile
Troubleshooting
Contact Admin

For Admins
Forum Software

Floors

Japan With Kids - Forums: Repairs and Maintenance: Floors
By Caz Lomax on Saturday, February 9, 2002 - 11:21 am:

Does anyone know how I can have my wooden flooring repaired - there is an iron burn mark on the paneled floor which will have to be lifted out.
Thank you!

By Kit Nagamura on Tuesday, February 12, 2002 - 10:39 am:

You can get wood flooring repaired, but you will need to get a carpenter to do it. We dropped a heavy object on our brand new flooring, left a crater, and nearly wept. But we called a construction company and got a carpenter out to check the color and grade of flooring material.

After first determining that using a "flooring dye" would not solve the problem (it might solve yours, though, and it's a cheaper solution!), he brought replacement half-planks. He cut out the pockmarked section and threaded in the new pieces. It took a bit of time, though, and I don't think I could have done it myself (there are special tools for getting the pieces threaded properly). The new piece in our flooring is barely noticeable, and the cost about 5000 yen. If your flooring is the heated kind, though, I'm not sure about replacement procedures. Hope this helps you iron out your difficulties.

By Rach on Friday, December 12, 2003 - 10:09 am:

Where can I buy cheap vinyl carpeting. I need to cover a 6 mat tatami room and 400*400 carpeted room.
Since I would be buying a lot a cheap wholesale rate would be good option. Also what all tools I need becoz I would be doing it on my own and want the vinyl carpeting to stay put especially on the carpet area. This should be easily dismantled without effecting the base carpet or the tatami, as I stay in a rented place. Any advice appreciated.

By Cornelia on Friday, December 12, 2003 - 10:01 pm:

Dear Rach,
I bought lino flooring off a roll at D2 home center. There were only 2 choices in the larger size. They also sell a variety of "flooring" tapes including for vinyl carpet. And they have the easy off kind (costs more and does not stick as well) and more permanent kind. It is a discount store (though not all items are discounted by that much, still you save on tax I guess.)

It took me a while to get it cut right since the room is not square, but I did get a new layer on my kitchen floor this way. I've even managed to forget all the crap that is underneath!

Keiyo D2 (prounounced "deitsu")
http://www.keiyo.co.jp/ (Japanese only)

No.1 home-center of Japan, Keiyo, started a discount store named D2 (dei-tsu) about 4-5 years ago.

The one I went to was close to both Takashimadaira and Nishi-dai stations on the Mita Subway line and is supposedly their largest one in terms of floor space. The phone number on the receipt is 03-5399-2501. I think the address is:
9-23-1 Takashimadaira, Itabashi-ku, Tokyo 175-0082
There appear to be about 6 of them within the 23 wards of Tokyo plus a bunch more in west Tokyo.

This is the closest thing that I've seen to a Hechinger's, Lowe's, Home Depot or even a decent hardware store in the USA. Which is to say not very close, but still the best selection and best prices in Tokyo for do it yourself home repair. Includes two different hues of faux wood linoleum flooring at 182 cm wide (sold 1760 yen/meter off a roll) and about 6 designs at only 91 cm wide (good for your average genkan at 880 yen/meter) and special two sided easy to remove tape for affixing it to your current floor (from about 500 to 800 yen for 15 meters depending on width). Light fixtures -- a long fluorescent two bulb shop light type fixture sells for about 5980 yen. A selection of paint, spray paints, paint brushes and rollers, calking and sealants. Electric outlets, switches, cover plates, limited selection of lumber (in traditional Japanese cuts and sizes), no dry wall (that I saw). Gardening stuff including flower bulbs. Not to mention the usual plastic storage bins, kitchen wares and detergents that seem to be sold in every store in Japan, a car accessories section, a stationary office supplies section, and a lot of other sections that don't have anything to do with home improvement. I didn't explore a whole lot further due to time constraints but suspect that there is a section hand held shop tools.

They also had a selection of artificial Christmas trees. Not everything is "cheap", I saw a number of things that I could get for roughly the same price closer to home.

By Rach on Saturday, December 13, 2003 - 10:34 am:

Dear Cornelia,
Thanx a lot for ur detailed post
Can the lino flooring be cut with ordinary home scissors?
Thanks

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: