Edit Profile
Troubleshooting
Contact Admin

For Admins
Forum Software

Handy Man

Japan With Kids - Forums: Repairs and Maintenance: Handy Man
By Admin on Saturday, February 23, 2002 - 8:57 pm:

Does anybody know of a woman or man in the Tokyo/Yokohama area that can help with repairs or small carpentry jobs and speaks English?

By jack on Saturday, March 2, 2002 - 8:27 pm:

yes I know a few good guys.
They expect 15,000 yen per day.
Contact me if you want a name

By Tara on Wednesday, September 4, 2002 - 8:43 am:

> any idea where I could find a handyman?

I found mine under the listings for "Benri-ya" (i.e., "Handyman") in the (Japanese-version) phone book.

There are a couple of national chains at which local benri-ya guys can register. You call the national number (toll-free) and tell them where you live, and they either call up the benri-ya closest to you and tell him to call you, OR they give you the local guy's number.

Generally speaking they operate, say, 9 AM - 9 PM, but might do 24-hours depending on the chain. These places will take care of literally anything. The ads usually mention stuff like pet-sitting, waiting in line to buy sumo/soccer tickets, help you pack to move, fumigation, and that kind of stuff in addition to the 'help around the house' stuff.

I've had them in to fix tiles, repaid leaky faucets, and pick up trash which the ward will not pick up (concrete blocks, red 'toyu' kerosene containers). I am next hoping to call one in to shave off a couple of millimeters from my fusuma sliding screens (they get stuck -- too big for the grooves they're in, now that the house has shifted). They charge I think 3000 yen per hour but it might have been 4000, plus parts on top of that. Not bad, I think, all things considered.

I used 'Benry24' --

*0120-006-303;
fax 03-3871-5645
www.benry24.com
This one is a national chain for sure.

I also have scribbled down these numbers for two other chains:

* 0120-666-801
I think this is also a national chain. Sorry; didn't write down the name....

* 0120-28-7877
This one might be Tokyo only....

Tara, Adachi-ku, Tokyo

By Cornelia on Thursday, June 19, 2003 - 3:50 pm:

This is not precisely a handyman, nor have I personally used this company (so all cautions apply), but this flyer came in my mailbox, and I thought it might be useful for a baseline on prices if nothing else.

It looks like the name of the company is "Heartful Service" and it is a "Reform" company. Free dial: 0120-105-681, 9:00 - 20:00

examples:
Wall Paper/ Vinyl Wall Cloth: minimum Y1000 / square meter
Fusuma (sliding closet doors): Y2800 (probably for re-papering)
Tatame mat (turning over of the omote covering): Y3980 / mat
Cushion Floor (linoleum): Y2500 / square meter
Wood floor: Y7000 / square meter
Painting outside: Y900 / square meter
Roof repair (Yane): Y5000 / square meter
Gutters (Ama doi) = "rain prevent"): Y2000 / meter
Kitchen rebuild: Y172,000
"Washlet"/Toilet replacement: Y40,000
Bathroom unit sink (Senmen Keishodai): Y49,000
Hot water heater: Y57,000
Bath (ofuro): Y250,000
Aluminum (Arumi) Gate: Y35,000

By Judith Ann Herd on Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 5:25 pm:

Beware! Problems with Handymen

We recently moved house and need lots of help setting up gas, electricity, phone and other services. Yesterday, an "electrician" from a major company came to "fix" something but spent 2 hours looking for the main breaker. I was suspicious when he insisted on looking through every room like he was taking inventory, especially after I told him where the breaker was and he continued searching. Later, I noticed a large Mercedes with blacked out windows parked in front of our gate for 4 hours. We have had several bad experiences with suspicious handy men over the past month, and I urge TWK users to be careful. Don't let these people into your home if you are alone, and call their companies to confirm names and ID. Unfortunately, the police won't react unless there is a crime.

By Benjamin Reeve on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 2:02 pm:

I am looking for someone who can help with repairs (small carpentry jobs...)
This post has all the information I need however...it is really old and possibly outdated now. Has anyone had any positive experiences from anyone worth recommending??

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: