Edit Profile
Troubleshooting
Contact Admin

For Admins
Forum Software

Getting a job/living in Tokyo

Japan With Kids - Forums: General Discussions: Getting a job/living in Tokyo
By Steve DeGregorio on Sunday, November 16, 2003 - 8:19 am:

Hi everyone. Me (an American) and my wife (a Japanese national) are considering the move to Japan sometime in the future. We're doing okay here in the US now, but it seems prices of housing, health care, etc. are getting out of control! Have you found life in Japan to be better/worse/the same as in your home country? Where do you think it's better to have kids? We don't have kids yet. Also I'm wondering about what jobs I can get as an American. I taught English in Japan before but I don't want to do that again--it doesn't seem like something that can be a long time career. But if I look at the job web sites, all I see are high level management, IT, and finance jobs! Any advice would really be appreciated! Thanks!

By Quenby Hoffman Aoki on Sunday, November 16, 2003 - 2:00 pm:

Well...for some of us, teaching English in Japan does indeed become a "real"career! I ended up liking it so much I went back to school, got a Master's in Education, and now teach mainly at the university level.
I take teaching very seriously and I also really enjoy it!
However, I admit that it's not for everyone. Don't make a career of it unless you like it.

As for raising children, Japan is just wonderful. People truly love kids here and Japan is much safer and more accepting of "childlike" behavior in public than the U.S.

By Monica S. on Thursday, March 31, 2005 - 5:36 pm:

Hello! Im here looking for some hints. Im a graduate student and will be in Japan for one more year untill I finish my thesis. I live with my 3mo son and for the meanwhile dont work but live from my scholarship. Im considering the idea of staying here after graduating but dont know how is the life when you re not a student. The thing is that if I wanted to stay I should get a job during this year, enroll a Doctors course, or Ill have to go back. My masters degree is in Urban Geography but I will work in anything that is interesting and that allows me to share a lot of time with my son. My first language is Spanish but I speak English, Portuguese, French and Japanese (well, Im not that fluent but Im studying here so...). Where should I apply? What about a home-based bussiness? What about working places where you can take your kids? How do I change my status from graduate student to permanent resident (or whatever status that allows me to work)? If I enrolled a Doctors course, will I survive with a toddler?
All ideas wellcome!
Thanks

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: