Edit Profile
Troubleshooting
Contact Admin

For Admins
Forum Software

Voting at Home from Japan

Japan With Kids - Forums: General Discussions: Voting at Home from Japan
By Cornelia on Monday, October 30, 2000 - 5:55 pm:

Special announcement to USA Citizens voting by absentee ballot - I just read about this on another e-list (generally absentee ballots have to be received in your state the day before the November 7th election):

>>>>>
The DHL office in Tokyo is accepting absentee ballots from Americans until November 1st, and then they will ship them by courier to NYC, where they will get postmarked and enter the U.S. Mail system. If you still haven't sent your ballot and worry about it getting there in time, this seems like a spectacular service from a very good company. Here's the address:

ATTN: U.S. Election 2000
DHL Japan
1-37-8 Higashi Shinagawa
Shinagawa-ku
Tokyo
104-0002

And the phone number if you have any questions:
(03)5479-2580 (they answer in Japanese and English)
<<<<<

By Ruth S Mccreery on Friday, January 16, 2004 - 11:03 am:

All US citizens overseas may vote in US federal elections, by absentee ballot. For information on how to register and/or apply for your ballot, email rsm@gol.com or call 045-314-9324.

By Ruth S Mccreery on Friday, September 10, 2004 - 2:50 pm:

The end of this month is the deadline for
applying for an absentee ballot to vote in
the November 2 US elections. Remember:
as an American citizen, you can vote, no
matter how long you have been away from
the US, and your vote will be counted. It's
your--and your kids'--future. Vote for it!
For your ballot application, email
rsm@gol.com or call 045-314-9324, now.

By Scott Hancock on Monday, September 13, 2004 - 4:27 pm:

Here is another way to initiate the registration process:
www.overseasvote2004.com

You can generate the absentee ballot request form online and then you mail it. Very well worked out.

By Alexandra Roberts-Judd on Monday, September 13, 2004 - 5:18 pm:

Australia is holding a Federal Election on Saturday October 9. For any Aussies on this list who are not on the DFAT distribution list. Here's the latest information on voting in Japan.

Aussies in Japan can either cast an in person pre-poll vote or vote at the Embassy in Tokyo or the Consulates-General in Fukuoka and Osaka on the day.

Pre-poll voting in person at the Consulate-General in Fukuoka, and
Consulates in Nagoya, Sendai and Sapporo require appointments to be made in advance. Appointments are not required to cast a pre-poll vote at the Australian Embassy in Tokyo or the Consulate-General in Osaka.

On Election Day, Saturday 9 October, you are able to vote in person at the Australian Embassy in Tokyo and Consulates-General in Fukuoka and Osaka. The Consulates in Nagoya, Sendai and Sapporo will not be open for voting on Election Day.

To apply for a Postal Vote:

Download the Postal Vote application on the Australian Electoral Commission's website at
www.aec.gov.au/election2004/voting/postal/EF048www_1003.pdf, and send the completed form to the Australian Embassy or a Consulate by post or fax.

If you need to check the status of your electoral enrolment you can now do this on-line at www.aec.gov.au

By Cornelia on Wednesday, September 29, 2004 - 4:35 pm:

Slightly off topic: I watched Fahrenheit 9/11 two Fridays ago. And I was stunned of course. I had read a bunch of reviews, but the one that said it best was, "whichever side of the fence you're on, see this one yourself, don't go with any reviewer"... It was the 10:30 am show in Ikebukuro on a Friday, in a somewhat old, dank basement theater, and there were actually around 70 people in the theater. So there is a fair bit of interest here in Japan.

I wished I could vote in a swing state, but alas, sweet old Virginia is staunchly (stupidly?) loyal Republican. I've voted Republican many times (on a local level), but I don't think I've ever voted for a candidate (Republican or Democrat) that screwed with the integrity of elections.

By Penny Poe on Wednesday, September 29, 2004 - 7:01 pm:

Cornelia,

I am curious as to what you mean by this
statement, "but I don't
think I've ever voted for a candidate
(Republican or
Democrat) that screwed with the integrity
of elections"

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: