Getting Started
Register Here
Edit Profile
Troubleshooting
Contact Admin

For Admins
Forum Software

Saint Patrick's Day

Japan With Kids - Forums: General Discussions: Holiday celebration: Saint Patrick's Day
By Cornelia on Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 11:17 am:

I just found out from a post on the Living in Yokohama e-list that there is an Irish Network Japan! Here's their website (in both Japanese and English): http://www.inj.or.jp/index_e.html There are several St. Patrick's Day Parades listed on the website, in Kyoto, Yokohama, and Tokyo. The one in Tokyo will be 14 March(Sunday) 14:00-16:00 on Omotesando in Harajuku. They are not all being held on the same dates so check the website. There are other events listed as well.

By Cornelia on Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 12:06 am:

This years parade in Harajuku is on the 20th of March AND we have our own slot in the parade ! If you (and your kids) are interested in marching/walking in a real parade, please send an email to admin[at]tokyowithkids.com

There is space in our section for about 25 people. Children under 8 should be accompanied by an adult. This is pretty informal since it will be our first time (I just got the news today!), so I haven't got time to set up a string of planning sessions. But we've got a banner (which I had made a year ago and may be too wide ;-)

I'm also looking for a corporate sponsor or anyone who would be willing to supply balloons or something. I'll post more as I learn it myself, here. And I really would appreciate someone's help in facilitating this. Is there anyone who would like to volunteer?

By Lisa on Friday, February 25, 2005 - 4:39 pm:

Cornelia -- Sounds like fun! I'll help, somehow, just let me know how. May I reserve a few spots for kids from my playgroup??

Lisa

By Cornelia on Saturday, February 26, 2005 - 12:01 pm:

Participants need to be there by 13:00 ! The parade on 20 March takes place in Harajuku (Tokyo) along Omotesando from 14:00 - 16:00. Basically we march up the street, make a u-turn up at Omotesando crossing and come back down the street to Meiji dori.

Please email me directly and put St. Patrick's Day parade in the subject line. (You can do this by hitting "reply" if you get this message via automatic email notification.) We need a few older kids too, not just the stroller brigade! It's a lot of fun! Your kids will enjoy it a lot!

By Cornelia on Monday, March 7, 2005 - 3:25 pm:

RAIN OR SHINE !
JWK participation first time in the 14th annual St. Patrick's Day Parade

We've got 37 people on board and one unknown variable (Lisa?), so if anyone else contacts me it would have to be on a waiting list basis at this point. This is supposed to be fun for the parents and the kids. This is not supposed to be some big promotion for my multimillion (tenth o'penny) organization! I really hope that the people coming to participate are coming for some networking, exercise and a family outing! That's how I see it.

I hope the rest of you will come out and CHEER us on!

If we have fun and if someone wants to help with the organization we'll do it again next year. All further correspondence will be directly among the participants via email. Life is short, be happy!

Oh, and, if you get the chance, make sure your family knows where Ireland is (a quick impromptu geography lesson) because according to one "rain on the parade" email I received, we haven't got any right to celebrate this holiday if we don't know! And even if you aren't in the parade be sure to wear something green on St. Patrick's Day so you won't get your fanny pinched! The actual Day falls on March 17th a few days before the parade date.

By Cornelia on Monday, March 21, 2005 - 2:51 pm:

Dear All,

We had good weather, good cheer and a good time at the parade today! Paula came with green face paint in a marker type of applicator which worked marvelously. The kids did a great job especially navigating the corners, and the mishaps were slight and characterized by quick recoveries. What more can one ask for! 31 of us plus two dogs walked in fair fiddle by the viewing stand occupied by no less than Mrs. President Mary McAleese of Ireland herself.

Hope to see you all again next year!
photos of JWK in the parade can be seen at www.tokyowithkids.com/discussions/messages/8/1038.html

By Cornelia on Thursday, March 24, 2005 - 4:02 pm:

More photos of us at the parade!
look at http://www.tokyowithkids.com/discussions/messages/8/1038.html

AND... There are more pictures of the parade at http://www.inj.or.jp/event/stpatrick/2005/index2.html on the Irish Network Japan site.
We show up in the bottom third so scroll down!

By Admin on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 9:26 am:

Hello everybody, it's time to start planning for the parade! This year the Tokyo parade is scheduled on 19th of March. All interested parents and kids who wish to march in the parade under this web site's banner, please mark your calendars. We are permitted about 30 people in our group.

For some of last year's pictures please click on the link below that will take you to this discussion, and scroll down!

By Admin on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 10:41 am:

Good morning ! We've got a planned group of about 35 people this year, and for all of you who would like to come and see us as well as the rest of the wonderful marching bands, cheer leaders, Irish dancers, Irish Setters, bagpipers and so on, pleasee come and cheer us on today !
14:00 - 16:00 on the stretch of Omotesando Ave. between Meiji Ave. and Omootesando station!

By Amy Uehara on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 9:12 pm:

Thank you, Cornelia and Amanda for organizing today's parade activity!! It was really fun and the dancing afterward was "good fer wat ails ye!" I even got to see some "dear old friends" in the crowd I'd known when our "babies" were prenatal-15 years ago.....
A very nice day in Tokyo.
Thanks again and good to meet other members of this invaluable forum!
Amy

By Cornelia on Monday, February 5, 2007 - 3:46 pm:

TOKYO: Hello, everyone, mark your calendars for 18 March! JWK will be marching in the parade again, and all are welcome. To contact us regarding the parade please use the following email address: parade2007 [at] tokyowithkids.com

By Admin on Monday, March 5, 2007 - 11:33 pm:

TOKYO: 13 days to go until the PARADE ! Message from Parade liason:
"The parade will starts at 14:00 so everyone will have to gather the school playground by 13:50. Please announce all people that not to come on high-heeled shoes because they were abandoned by the school to enter the playground. (sneakers or flat shoes are the best.)

We are preparing snack-pack for all children. It will be distributed at the playground after the parade."

We still have space for about 15 people in our group. Please send email to parade2007 [at] tokyowithkids.com if you wish to participate.

Related Links:
Look here for photos of previous parades and for details on the one this year!: www.tokyowithkids.com/discussions/messages/8/1038.html

Celebrating St. Patrick's Festival in Ireland:
http://www.stpatricksfestival.ie

By Admin on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 11:14 am:

Tokyo: Tokyo's 2008 parade will be on 16th March (Sunday).
JWK has not yet decided if we will participate this year. Feedback would be appreciated from all people interested in joining at parade2008 [at] tokyowithkids.com
If the numbers are high enough, we'll do it.

By Admin on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 3:25 pm:

Hello everyone,
Some of you have joined in the past. Some of you might be new and hesitant... Please come and look at some photos of our participation in previous years here at: www.tokyowithkids.com/discussions/messages/8/1038.html

I need to decide in the next day or two if Japan With Kids will participate this year. So if you think you are interested please send an email now to parade2008 [at] tokyowithkids.com

We need at least about 25 people, and for we can include up to about 40. If anyone wants to help with the organization, please include that in your email as well as how many people would be in your group. It's a fun way to get out of the house: fresh air, exercise, strollers OK, the kids get a kick out of actually "marching" in a parade, and they sleep well afterwards!

In Harajuku on 16th March for about 2.5 hours!

By Admin on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 10:26 am:

Hello,
We have decided not to participate in the St. Patrick's Day Parade in Harajuku this year. The parade date coincides with Spring Break dates for many schools and many people will be traveling. We plan to participate again next year.

It's nice to go see the parade as a spectator, so I hope you go and enjoy brisk fresh air, and the cheerleaders, and marching bands, and so on and so forth, even if without JWK!

By Sandy on Friday, March 7, 2008 - 11:32 am:

Tsukuba City (Ibaraki-ken) St. Patrick's Day Parade 2008
(better late than never!)
26th April 2008 Saturday 3:00-4:00 pm on the pedes road at Tsukuba Expo Centre in case of rain again, will be postponed to 29th April Tuesday, national holiday
For changes, details, map and more information check their blog:
http://stpatrickstsukuba.blog.so-net.ne.jp/
Questions: ussaynakajima [at] yahoo.co.jp
Committee of Tsukuba St. Patrick's Day Parade 2008

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: