Edit Profile
Troubleshooting
Contact Admin

For Admins
Forum Software

Entertainment - Games Kids Play

Japan With Kids - Forums: General Discussions: Entertainment - Games Kids Play
By Cornelia on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 3:15 pm:

I am researching an article for this site on games kids play in Japan and what they are called in Japanese, their English counterpart (if there is one) and so on.

I have a few (here is a sample) but I am looking for more. Can anyone help?

Naotobi: Jumping rope. This can include many variations, single, multiple jumpers and also two ropes simultaneously!

Suikawari: Take turns putting on a blindfold, holding a bat and trying to crack a watermelon that is placed somewhere on the ground in front.

By Yuko Kubota on Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 12:00 pm:

Cornelia, I'm sure you've done a lot of research on the internet, but for example, other than the games listed in the following link;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_games
I can think of international games like;
Kakurenbo: Hide-and-seek
Ayatori: Cat's cradle
Koma-mawashi: Tops

A bit on the unique side may be;

Kan-keri: A version of hide-and-seek where you place a can at a certain place, and someone hiding should kick it before the tagger touches him/her.

Hankachi-otoshi: One person runs around a circle of people facing the center, and drops a handkerchief behind someone. If that someone recognises the handkerchief and chases the runner to touch him/her before another round is over, the runner is out. If the runner touches the person in front of the handerchief before that person recognises, that person is out.

Isu-tori-geemu: This indeed is ideal even for adults to play at international parties, because the rule is very simple, it requires no language, and it's a little uniquely Japanese. All you have to do is to get in a circle with chairs one less than the number of participants. Play some music or have one person sing a song or even just clap, as the other participants walk around the circle of chairs. When the music/sound stops, everyone sits. The person who didn't get a chair is out. Take another chair away, and proceed. This butt-banging race can get pretty wild!

I'm sure there are plenty of other games.

By Dougie Murray on Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 2:35 pm:

Isu-tori-geemu = Musical Chairs/Going to Jerusalem?

I think ;)

By Bethan Hutton on Friday, March 11, 2005 - 8:25 am:

What about Daruma-san ga koronda (buddha has fallen over)? It's a bit like a British children's game I remember called something like "grandmother's footsteps", I think - one child is "it" and stands with his/her back to the others, who are in a line a few metres away. The one who is it says "daruma-san ga koronda" either fast or slow, then turns round. While the child who is it is speaking, the others move forward, but as soon as the one who is it turns round, they have to freeze. Anyone caught moving is out. Game continues until someone gets close enough to touch "it" without being caught, then roles change over. I'm sure there are plenty of variations on this one.

By Cornelia on Friday, November 18, 2005 - 7:25 am:

Sudoku puzzles using the numbers one through nine. Here's a very good website explaining the rules and supplying quite a lot of puzzles from easy to hard: http://www.forbeginners.info/sudoku-puzzles/rules.htm

This is played by kids starting around 8 (sometimes earlier) but it is also enormously big with adults. Sudoku are published in newspapers much like crossword puzzles.

By talia phillips on Wednesday, January 4, 2006 - 11:18 am:

You can find some games here Party Games
I am not sure if that is what
you are looking for, I hope it
helps.

By Milessander on Saturday, October 11, 2014 - 3:44 pm:

I have seen several mediums and ideas about games for girls, just like the Hello Kitty Play Yard.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: