Troubleshooting
Contact Admin

For Admins
Forum Software

Internet Access options in Japan

Japan With Kids - Forums: General Discussions: Internet Access options in Japan
By Cornelia on Friday, October 22, 1999 - 10:20 am:

Hi Cornelia,

I wanted to share my experience with Internet access - it turns out that Tokyu Cable TV offers cable modem internet access for about $50.00 / month. We just had it installed, and it is pretty remarkable. It's a full time connection, which runs about 1.5 mbits download speeds, and a couple of hundred kilobits on uploads. I'm really pleased because I can now effectively "telecommute" to the US, and run data intensive protocols like encrypted X windows connections, etc. I think that Tokyu runs the cables along their train lines, based on what I could make of their service area maps. The url is at
http://www.catv.ne.jp/

Henry (Futako-tamagawaen train station on the Shin-tamagawa line)

Cornelia's Question: Is it a requirement to be a Tokyu cable TV subscriber in order to be able to subscribe to the cable modem internet access?

Henry's Answer: Actually, you can get internet only for about $50/month (that's what we did) or Internet plus basic cable TV for soemthing like $70/ month. They put some kind of splitter and filter on the line where it comes to the apartment, I think, to separate the internet channel from the cable tv channels.

By shancock on Sunday, December 12, 1999 - 5:01 am:

Henry-
Doesn't cable net access require a special board in the computer? Are you on PC or Mac? Is it only ethernet that's required? I thought is was a special board and ran with Japanese drivers (which are a hassle in English Windows)
Thanks,
Scott

By Henry Minsky on Sunday, December 12, 1999 - 9:45 am:

You just need an ethernet board in you computer. No special software, except the normal Internet and TCP/IP software that's in your machine.

Technically speaking, your machine needs to be able to run as a DHCP client. The cable modem looks like a DHCP server.

We have no problem using a Mac or PC. I actually have a little firewall box from Sonic Systems called the "sonicwall" which I plug into the cable modem, that lets me run my LAN in the house, and all use the single IP address from the cable company.

Note: someone said that the cable company might waive some part of the installation fee if you sign up for cable tv along with internet access. I am not sure, I didn't ask too carefully what the prices were when I got it installed.

By Anna on Sunday, December 19, 1999 - 8:13 am:

Flat- Rate Internet Access (from Nikkei Weekly)

High speed, unlimited Internet access will become available at a fixed monthly rate of under 7000 yen by the end of December, industry sources said.

Making the service possible are deals reached between NTT Corp. group and several telecommunications providers under which NTT will allow its lines to be used for a monthly connection fee of 800 yen per circuit.

Tokyo Metallic Communications Corp. will later this month begin trial service for non corporate customers in some parts of Tokyo at a monthly rate of 5500 yen including communications and access charges. Adding in the fee for using NTT telephone lines will lift the total charge to 6300 yen.

The new service will employ asymmetric-digital subscriber line technology enabling throughput at 640 kilobits per second, or 10 times the speed of NTT's integrated-services digital network service (ISDN).

By Kirk Masden on Tuesday, February 1, 2000 - 11:43 pm:

* NTT to Introduce Fixed Rate for Net
NTT Nishi Nihon on Friday announced plans for the introduction of a fixed rate service for unlimited access to the Internet. The fixed rate is to be introduced on a trial basis in one section of Fukuoka City during the latter half of this year. NTT's announcement marks the first time the company will be offering such a service in Kyushu. The fixed rate will only be available to users of ISDN and will cost eight thousand yen per month.

from the Kyushu Headline News for Monday, January 31, 2000

seems pretty expensive to me, though

By Jane on Tuesday, September 26, 2000 - 9:20 am:

We are about to move to Tokyo at long last and are trying to work out the best TV cable and internet options. Its hard to keep up with the latest developments - any recommendations?

By shancock on Tuesday, September 26, 2000 - 10:02 am:

Jane-
As far as TV/cable goes, you need cable for 'normal' shows and NHK and the only real option beyond that is SkyPerfect satellite. Their menu of choices can be complicated. They have 3-4 movie channels, sports, and miscellaneous English things. Their site is only in Japanese the last time I looked. If you call them, they have English hard copy.

As for net access-
As you can see from previous messages, some people are happy with cable net access. The availability depends on the cable company, and which company depends on where you live.

A form of DSL is now appearing, which is mainly Tokyo Metallic. Their site is also Japanese. The phone is 5827-3910 or email to: support@metallic.co.jp

English is probably best done by email.

There is also a new flat rate for ISDN called Flets. It's 4,500/mo. plus ISP charge. The main ISP with English support are Global Online (www.gol.com), PSI or TWICS (www.twics.com), or ATT (http://www.att.ne.jp/indexe.html). I've used all of them. At the moment, I would recommend ATT, although you might get more handholding from GOL (in native English),

I'm actually unclear as to what the minus points are on DSL. Let us know if you decide to go that way.

One advantage to ISDN is that you wind up with more analog "lines" so you can have fax and/or other devices using the one ISDN line at the same time. You can also get a second phone number within this, which is handy. For more info on ISDN see (www.bricks.co.jp). They can sign you up easily in English.

If you have more than one computer in your house, I highly recommend a router which allows sharing the net connection. The ones that work with ISDN are simple once they're set up- it's in Japanese so it takes someone to do it.

Let us know about your experience once you get into it.

Scott

By jparry on Tuesday, September 26, 2000 - 11:51 am:

There is also Rosenet: internet on Cable-TV. It appears from the ad in my TV guide that it starts at 6,000 yen per month for 150kbps.

There website address is: http://www.rosenet.ne.jp/

Hope this helps!

By shancock on Tuesday, September 26, 2000 - 11:58 am:

Rosenet is the cable net access service of one cable company. It depends on where you live as to which cable company you get. Ask your real estate agent which cable company serves the place you will be living in.

Scott

By Takatsuka Diana on Monday, April 30, 2001 - 12:08 am:

Free ISP and internet connection.Japan.Download from www.livedoor.com

By Marie on Friday, June 15, 2001 - 8:42 am:

I use broadband, not cable through NTT ADSL Flets service. It's just fantastic. I stay connected to the internet for as long as I want at the monthly flat rate of 4,050 yen. Of course, this rate does not include the fee I have to pay my internet service provider (I use ATT WorldNet, which is a monthly flat rate of 2,000 yen). So, for 6,050 a month I have 24 hours broadband internet connection. It's just great, for surfing the net on broadband is really SURFING. You just have to try it to believe it! To use ADSL you must have an analog telephone line though (the kind that cost about 70,000 yen directly from NTT or 45,000 on the re-sell market).

By Cornelia on Friday, July 6, 2001 - 8:26 am:

GOL.com ADSL service:
(gol.com has great English support)

adsl = asymetric digital subscriber line 5800 yen per month of which NTT gets a portion? Not all of Japan and not even all of Tokyo has this capability yet. You can only do this with an analog telephone line. So all that effort you went to to get an ISDN set up, oops, out the window...

Once you pay the monthly flat rate it does get you unlimited use!

There are only two adsl modems that GOL will support, so do not bring one with you from the USA or buy a nifty looking one in Akihabara. This ADSL modem will speed things up about a hundred times (about 1.5 megabytes) and also much faster than cable as in cable TV related.

This special modem is about the same size as an ISDN terminal adapter (a little slimmer) and the cheapest one is about 17000 yen (USB ADSL Modem). They were giving them away to the first customers to sign up, but no longer.

Game Osborne in sales is a real hoot! Had a lot of fun talking to him. I think there is some sort of percent off right now on the ADSL modems right now until the end of JULY.

I don't have the sales phone number handy but their help line can pass you over: 03-4354-0030

By Michael Morimoto on Saturday, July 21, 2001 - 10:33 pm:

Hello everyone:

I'm listening to some 80's music on internet radio as I type this. ;-) This might get me in trouble but, I've had experience with regular old dialup (US Robotics Modem), Telehodai (flat rate modem service to one number but only from 11:00 pm to 8:00 am - something like 4500 yen/month - US Robotics Modem), FLETS-ISDN ('Unlimited' 64K ISDN service 4500 yen/month - Funky NEC ISDN Modem/Router), and now DSL through Tokyo Metallic (up to 1.5 Mb/sec 5500 yen/month for up to 13 computers but I had to buy the modem/router (something like 35,000 yen - Tokyo Metallic version of Arescom NetDSL 1000 and a cheap hub I bought). Coming just now is Fiber to the Home via USEN (promises 10 Mb/sec) If people have questions, please ask.

I used to be a big fan of GOL but then they put limits on what 'unlimited' meant. Too bad, they otherwise had great service. I switched to ATT Jens and they also have great service with no pesky limits on service. Problem is, in order to use GOL or ATT you must use NTT's FLETS DSL (I was in a hurry and at the time NTT said they were backlogged 3 months on the DSL modems) I now used Tokyo Metallic's service. They are still ramping up their English service but seem to be trying their best.

All users, but especially ISDN and DSL users should probably load some good antivirus software and something like ZoneAlarm (firewall software) on their systems for 'safe computing.' ;-)

Cheers,

-- Michael

By Michael on Tuesday, August 7, 2001 - 10:04 am:

For those considering ADSL service with GOL, please be very careful when choosing Type 1 (Y6300/month) or Type 2 (Y8100/month). My experienced is detailed below and was anything but the "real hoot" mentioned by Cornelia above.

-----

June 21, 2001

Dear Sir or Madam:

About two months ago, I applied online for ADSL. I then received a phone call from a GOL representative (Andrew) who confirmed all of the particulars of my application, and when I asked him whether I should get Type 1 or Type 2, he recommended Type 2, because I have an "intercom-type device" at my house (as I told him, outside our house on the mailbox we have a button, and strangers visiting the house press the button to get our attention inside the house. Once the butten is pressed, we hear a sound in the house, and we can then pick up a separate phone (used for only this purpose) to talk to the person outside). I am sure that you are familiar with this type of "intercom device." Virtually all homes and many apartments here in Tokyo have them.

Andrew, who was very kind and personable, stated that Type 1 would interfere with this "intercom device" (or vice-versa) and suggested that I get Type 2.

So, an NTT technician came out to the house and we paid him about Y8000 to set up the phone jack for the Type 2 connection and then an additional Y5000 to set up an additional phone jack for the phone (because voice services are not possible with Type 2).

Now, I hear that Type 1 does actually work in homes such as ours with these intercom devices ... and that generally only businesses or people who don't have NTT phone lines get Type 2.

It seems that I have paid a whole lot more than I should have - all because I was obviously led in the wrong direction by one of your salespersons.

In all honesty, it is my view that you should reimburse me for the above Y13,000 (Y8000+Y5000) in addition to the extra Y1800x2 in monthly charges and then do whatever is necessary to shift me over to Type 1. In other words, charge me for whatever I would have been charged if your salesperson would have led me in the proper direction.

I have been a GOL customer for a long time, and I hope that this affords me a bit of consideration.

Sincerely yours,

Michael

-----

June 21, 2001

Dear Michael,

Thank you for using Global Online Japan. Our Sales Manager is away at present and will return in one week.

Please be advised that your request and circumstances have been received and will need to be considered by him before we can offer you a full reply. We ask for your patience on this matter.

My personal response is that, it is regrettable if you feel you were misled. This was never meant to be intentional. It still holds true in my mind that ADSL is subject to interference from a variety of source including security systems and intercom devices. To what extent a given device can interfere with ADSL is subject to an individuals environment. To reduce the chance of interference I would still recommend to a potential customer that they consider Type 2 ADSL.

We ask, again, for your patience for our full reply.

Best Regards,

Andrew
Dialup Sales Department
Customer Service Staff
sales@gol.com
Phone: (03) 4354-0170
Fax: (03) 4354-0171

-----

June 22, 2001

Dear Andrew:

Thank you very much for your response. I understand that the information that I received was not intentionally misleading, and the service that I received at that time (and continue to receive from GOL) has always been professional and courteous.

However, it does seem that I was led in the wrong direction, particularly when you factor in the fact that I expressly stated that the intercom and the phone lines were not connected in any way.

For your information, I have played the role of a new customer and have phone over to other ISPs offering services through eAccess. After reviewing my situation, not one has suggested that we apply for Type 2.

I look forward to hearing from you next week.

Michael

-----

July 5, 2001

Dear Sir or Madam:

Two weeks have passed since I sent you my initial complaint, and I still have not received the "full reply" mentioned above.

I hope to hear from you shortly.

Michael

-----

July 5, 2001

Dear Michael

Thank you for your patience on this matter. We understand that you feel that you have been misled into applying for Type 2 ADSL. At the time of applying you received advice that ADSL is subject to interference from various sources and that TYPE 2 would be preferable if wanting to better ensure that a good quality ADSL signal is received. From our experience dealing with ADSL and some of the problems associated with the technology, we recommended then, and would still recommend now, that a customer with an intercom system, security system or the like opt for Type 2, even in the case that these were not necessarily on the same line.

Your request for a refund and change to Type One on the grounds of receiving misinformation or being misled has been considered in light of the information that we have now, comparing to that which was given at the time of your application and our position is that a refund for works done and difference in pricing would not be applicable.

You mentioned that you have called various ADSL providers and presented your situation to them and none have recommended Type 2. This, in our view, doesn't constitute misinformation on our behalf. We are concerned, and have always been concerned, with providing our customers with information about our services and technologies that we support to enable each customer to receive the best quality and standard of service possible. In keeping with this concern our sales staff advised you to apply for Type 2 ADSL. With this in mind however the final choice, and hence responsibility is with the customer to take the information given and make a informed decision.

Our hope is that the ADSL service that you are currently receiving is functioning at an acceptable standard and that you are satisfied with it's performance.

If you have any further questions don't hesitate to contact us

Best Regards,

Gary
Dialup Sales Department
Customer Service Manager
sales@gol.com
Phone: (03) 4354-0170
Fax: (03) 4354-0171

-----

July 9, 2001

Dear Gary:

Thank you very much for your reply.

Since you seem to be the only ISP in Japan that is recommending "that a customer with an intercom system opt for Type 2, even in the case that the phone systems and the intercom systems are not necessarily on the same line," could you please provide me (by mail or e-mail) with the documentation that you are using to support your assertion.

I certainly look forward to hearing from you.

Michael

-----

A Final Note: I (Michael) never received another response from GOL, not to mention the documentation requested above. To better understand GOL's viewpoint, they must feel that they are in between a rock and hard place because they most likely have incorrectly recommended Type 2 ADSL to a number of customers, and they most certainly would like to avoid having to reimburse all of these customers.

I would strongly suggest that anyone considering a shift to ADSL to wait. High Speed Broadband, as mentioned by Mr. Morimoto above, is already out in some areas in Tokyo and is expected to be available in all areas of Tokyo by October 2001 and much of Japan by April 2002 (http://www.usen.co.jp/domain/bb_enlarge/enlarge.html). The setup costs are slightly higher than ADSL, but the monthly rates are a little lower (http://ca.usen.com/price.phtml) and the speed is much faster (http://ca.usen.com/possibility.phtml). More extensive information can be found (in Japanese) at Usen (http://ca.usen.com).

By Global Online Japan on Tuesday, August 7, 2001 - 5:47 pm:

Since 1994 GOL has serviced the Internet needs of both English and Japanese speaking communities throughout Japan. We offer our customers a full range of services from dial up and Web hosting, to Web Site and creation, E-Commerce solutions and Systems Integration. We currently have around 22,000 users to whom we provide a high level of both technical and sales related customer support based on knowledge and experience in a friendly but professional manner. The nature of the service industry is such that whilst the majority of our customers are satisfied with our services there are some that are not.

By Michael on Tuesday, August 7, 2001 - 8:25 pm:

This is from The Asahi Shimbun (August 7, 2001):

Money Matters When Choosing Best Service

Q: Which service is best?

A: Users should consider what they want to do and the cost of the services. In addition, there are regional differences in the choices available.

If, in addition to using e-mail and surfing the Internet, a user wants to enjoy music and moving images, the options are CATV or DSL.

Of the two, CATV, which started before DSL, covers a wider subscriber area. As of March 31 this year, 201 CATV companies were offering Internet connection services. Nineteen million households can subscribe to the service. The charges vary according to the nature of the service, but most are in the region of 5,000 yen a month.

Some older housing complexes will need to have their cabling upgraded, which will have to be discussed by their management associations or similar organizations.

DSL suddenly began to receive much more attention last December, when NTT East and NTT West started using it on a full-scale basis. The service is expanding rapidly from major cities such as Tokyo, Osaka, Nagoya and Fukuoka to regional cities, and NTT will be able to offer a service to virtually all cities nationwide by the end of the year.

In the case of both NTT and venture companies located in major cities, connection fees are in the region of 5,000 to 6,000 yen a month. Softbank and Yahoo plan to offer a so-called Yahoo BB service from September at a monthly cost of 2,280 yen. Competition among companies for customers is heating up.

However, the likely eventual winner will be ultra-high-speed Internet connections using fiber-optics.

So far, Usen Corp. has begun services within the Tokyo metropolitan area, and from this month NTT will introduce a service called B-Flet's.

Speeds of 100 megabits per second are possible only with fiber-optics. However, for the time being, the service will be available in a limited area, with NTT planning to offer it only in some parts of Tokyo and Osaka this year.

If a home telephone is ISDN-connected but not located in the areas where these services are available, it is worthwhile checking whether the Flet's ISDN service can be used. The cable speed will be slow, but it will nevertheless amount to having a dedicated line.

By Michael on Wednesday, August 15, 2001 - 9:47 pm:

This is from The Asahi Shimbun (August 15, 2001):

ADSL Providers Slashing Rates

Yahoo! BB's rock-bottom fee for high-speed Internet connections has sparked a price war among providers of asymmetrical digital subscriber line (ADSL) services, with some rivals set to slash their rates nearly in half next month.

The wave of price-cutting was prompted by Yahoo's announcement that it planned to enter the ADSL market this mouth with a monthly fee of 2,280 yen ・an amount described as "ridiculously low" by a source at one competing firm.

Although the Softbank Corp. affiliate had to postpone the start of its service until September, the news that it had received some 200,000 applications shocked its rivals out of their complacency and forced them to make their own rates more competitive.

Beginning in September, most of Yahoo's competitors will begin charging between 2,000 yen and 4,000 yen per month for ADSL services. Leading Internet service provider Nifty Corp., NEC Corp.痴 Biglobe, and NTT Communications Corp.'s OCN have set their rates at 3,980 yen a month, while Japan Telecom Co. announced on Aug.10 that it would charge a monthly fee of 3,880 yen.

Despite the cuts, most of these companies' rates are still significantly higher than those charged by Yahoo. Industry analysts warn that cutthroat competition without regard for profitability could force some ADSL providers out of the market.

Further complicating the picture are the new fiber-optic communication services introduced this month by NTT East Corp. and NTT West Corp. These fiber-optic services offer even faster connections than ADSL services, though the latter are expected to become the most common type of high-speed connection in this country.

The most common ADSL services offer download speeds of 1.5 megabits per second (Mbps), or more than 20 times faster than the dial-up connections that most people here still use to connect to the Internet.

Providers ・ADSL (1.5Mbps) ・Fiber-Optic
----------------------------------------------------
@nifty (Nifty Corp) ・Y3980 ・Y8800
Biglobe (NEC Corp) ・Y3980 ・Y9800
OCN (NTT Comm) ・Y3980 ・Y9900
DION (KDDI Corp) ・Y3880
ODN (Japan Telecom) ・Y3880
Yahoo! BB (Softbank Corp) ・Y2280
So-net (Sony Corp) ・Y2980 ・Y8800

Note: The speed of Yahoo! BB痴 ADSL is only .8Mbps (about half the others). Virtually all of these new rates go into effect on September 1st.

By Carolyn Lyson on Saturday, August 18, 2001 - 11:28 am:

Greetings!
I am moving to Yokohama this month and will be living in a flat in Naka-ku.
I am wondering what kind of internet connection options I will have there. I need a high speed, reliable, "always on" connection, and I am not sure what is available in the neighborhood. Does anyone on this list live in the area and have any experience or suggestions? Ideally, I would like to have a cable connection, but I don't know if that is available there.

Also, I am confused about the current phone line situation. I have not lived in Japan for ten years, and things have changed a lot since then. I am unclear as to which services require me to purchase a phoneline (as I had to ten years ago) and which do not.

I will need to have phone service in addition to an internet connection (and
wouldn't mind a cable TV connection), so if there is an economical way to combine those, that would be ideal. TIA for any suggestions or advice.

By Scott Hancock on Saturday, August 18, 2001 - 11:08 pm:

My understanding is that there is one cable company in a given neighborhood. So, it should be simple to check with whatever company serves your area as to what services they offer. Kuyakusho can tell who that is.

If cable doesn't work, the list of ADSL providers above would be a good away to go, too.

I would add to that list, GOL and ATt. Both offer Enlish support and ADSL. ATT is tied into NTT's ADSL. Again, the availability depends on the address/phone number.

I think you still have to get a phone line "contract", which are available "second hand" from places that advertise in Tokyo Classified. 72,000 retail, I guess about 50 2nd hand.

If you have a choice, I like ADSL better than cable. (Not that I have lived with cable.)

If you travel outside Japan, check out any provider's "web mail" access. Or, use one of the popular free web mail addresses and ignore the email that comes with the ISP.

FWIW
Scott

By Michael on Tuesday, August 21, 2001 - 7:44 pm:

If you need an "always on" connection to the Internet, you will require either a cable, an ADSL, or a fiber-optic connection. The latter is most likely not yet available in Yokohama. Please note that cable speeds will slow down during peak hours as usage rates increase, but an ADSL connection speed will remain constant. In addition, a phone bond is not necessary if you apply for Type 2 ADSL.

After a review of your situation, it would seem to me that you have the following options:

1) Cable + NTT Phone Bond
2) Cable + Cell Phone
3) SkyPerfect TV (Satellite) + ADSL (Type 1) + NTT Phone Bond
4) SkyPerfect TV (Satellite) + ADSL (Type 2) + Cell Phone

If you plan to remain at this flat for a good number of years, options #1 or #2 above would probably be best financially. However, if you think that you may move within Japan after a year or two, I would suggest that you look into options #3 and #4.

By Betty on Friday, October 26, 2001 - 8:58 am:

NTT cuts internet access fees

Thursday, October 25, 2001 at 18:30 JST

TOKYO ・NTT East Corp. said Thursday it will reduce its rates for two types of Internet access service ・asymmetric digital subscribers line (ADSL) and integrated services digital network (ISDN) ・from December.

It will cut the basic rate of the ADSL service, which offers transmission speeds of up to 1.5 megabits per second, by 200 yen to 2,900 yen per month.

It will also reduce the fixed-rate service of ISDN with transmission speeds of up to 64 kilobits per second by 100 yen to 2,800 yen per month.
(Kyodo News)

By Laurel Seacord on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 9:43 am:

Free internet service provider for women: She's Net (CSK Group which includes Sega Corp and ASCII magazine among many others) offers free internet connection, mail box, home page. You can sign up at http://www.shes.net/
I have been using this service for two years now and I am very pleased with it.

You have to be female and able to read Japanese. Unlike some other free providers, your screen does not get cluttered up with banner ads, but you are obligated to respond to the occasional marketing survey. There are perhaps one or two surveys a month, and I have never had to spend more than 5 minutes completing one.
Only access via ISDN 64k or regular old analog modem 56k is supported.
The service is free only between the hours of 6 AM and 10:45 PM. You may also sign up for fee-for-service connection outside those hours which costs 5 yen per 5 minutes.

Here is the list of access points:
(011) Sapporo; (022) Sendai; (03) Tokyo; (0422) Musashino/Mitaka; (042-5) Tachikawa; (0426) Hachioji; (042-3) Tama; (048-8) Urawa; (048-4) Kawaguchi; (048-9) Soka; (042-9) Tokorozawa; (049-2) Kawagoe; (043) Chiba; (0471) Kashiwa; (047-4) Funabashi; (047-3) Ichikawa; (044) Kawasaki; (045) Yokohama; (042-7) Sagamihara; (046-2) Atsugi; (0463) Hiratsuka; (0467) Fujisawa/Kamakura; (0468) Yokosuka; (052) Nagoya; (06) Osaka; (072-2)Sakai; (072-8) Neyagawa; (075) Kyoto; (078) Kobe; (082) Hiroshima; (092) Fukuoka; (093) Kitakyushu

By Cornelia on Wednesday, January 30, 2002 - 3:45 pm:

IN complete contrast to "FREE" email to women above, here are the rough contents of a flyer in my mailbox about 3 days ago for Broadband service rating itself as number one among 18 competitors (type = shubetsu):

1. BROAD-GATE 01, type: FTTH
2. NTT B Flets Basic, type: FTTH
3. NTT B Flets Family, type: FTTH
4. ACCA 8Mbps/ocn, type: ADSL8M
5. ACCA 8Mbps/so-net, type: ADSL8M
6. ACCA 8Mbps/biglobe, type: ADSL8M
7. eaccess 8Mbps/biglobe, type: ADSL8M
8. ACCA 8Mbps/nifty, type: ADSL8M
9. eaccess 8Mbps/dti, type: ADSL8M
10. eaccess 8Mbps/asahi-net, type: ADSL8M
11. ACCA 8Mbps/asahi-net, type: ADSL8M
12. ZAQ, type: CATV
13. iTSCOM (Tokyu CATV), type: CATV
14. Cablenet Saitama Enjoy, type: CATV
15. eaccess 8Mbps/sannet, type: ADSL8M
16. THN Personal Express, type: CATV
17. J-COM NetHome, type: CATV
18. YahooBB, type: ADSL8M
!! (www.gol.com is not mentioned on this list but they definitely offer ADSL service)

Installation is 33,000 yen minimum but may cost more depending on circumstances in your neighborhood/building.
Monthly rental of cable is 4900 yen, modem rental is 900 yen, and Internet service provider fee is 300 yen (mandatory) for a total of 6100 yen per month. 3000 yen fee to sign the installation contract. All of these figures are pre-sales tax.
Powered by USEN Broad Networks. Broadband content does not work with MacIntosh OS (movies downloaded are not Mac friendly). There's also some kind of HUB thing if you want to connect to more than one computer (additional fees not mentioned).

If you are interested you can get more information at:
www.usen.com/gate01/
www.usen.com/gate01/i/
tel: 0120-359-881
Fax: 03-3509-7119 (I can't tell if this is "fax-back" or not.)

The following neighborhoods in Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo, have just been added into their network:
Koishikawa 1-5 chome
Sengoku 1-4 chome
Otsuka 3-4 chome
Hakusan 2-4 chome

If you want to see this incredible speed in action, you may at the following Internet Cafes or retail shops in Tokyo:
Ubusuna Cafe (Shibuya station) 03-5459-4502 Udagawacho 21-6 Q-Front building 6F, northwest of Yamanote line station
Sofmap (Yurakucho station) 03-5219-1800 Marunouchi 3-8-3, northeast of Yamanote line station
Cafe J (Sangenjaya station) 03-5787-2021 Sangenjaya 1-32-9, south of the station on Tamagawa street

By Karen on Thursday, February 7, 2002 - 12:52 pm:

We're considering the switchover to ADSL right now, at home. If we use it for one year we'll be saving money and paying less than we do right now for a slow, cruddy 56K phone line connection.

Anyway, as I was looking for information I came across an incredibly informative site which covers numerous ISPs and is a WEALTH of information. I highly recommend it:

http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~PF2K-WLKN/inetjfaq.html

K

By Admin on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 2:42 am:

Karen, you found something by Keith Wilkinson. He puts up stuff about all kinds of things. He's current president of UMJ -- United for a Multicultural Japan. He also publishes The New Observer. I think you'll find his information generally reliable and carefully typed up. Good lead!

By Admin on Monday, March 4, 2002 - 09:25 am:

I made a pretty big mistake here. I got Keith mixed up with the other Wilkinson, whose name is Jens. Keith is not president of UMJ, etc. But Keith is a very long-term resident of Japan (longer than Jens) with great Japanese language capability, and a lot of technical know-how, and the "generally reliable and carefully typed up" comment would certainly also apply to him.

By Admin on Monday, March 4, 2002 - 8:07 am:

Nikkei Weekly: February 25, 2002--Volume 40, --Number 2,018

Broadband services prosper as profits play second fiddle

A chaotic battle is shaping up in Japan to get a piece of the rapidly expanding market for broadband and other high-speed Internet-related services. Companies from a variety of business backgrounds and with a variety of aims are entering the field, which in terms of household penetration is expected to surpass that of the U.S. by next year.
{snip}

By Lea Watson on Tuesday, April 2, 2002 - 8:32 am:

Yokohama People - Asahi-ku area

Yokohama CableVision is now offering internet access as of mid-April. They have a wonderful campaign underway. The regular fees for application and connection is Y60,000. However, during the campaign they've dropped to Y10,000 plus the flat rate internet monthly fee of Y5,200.

YCV's telephone number is 045-366-0011 and ask for Tomoya Koike...he has a fair bit of English. They also have an English website at
http://www.catv-yokohama.ne.jp/english/i-charge.html

Lea Watson
www.scooterwally.com

By Lea Watson on Friday, April 26, 2002 - 11:53 am:
Yokohama Cable Internet Campaign

I have a brochure from YC which offers the first 3 months free of charge...it can't get much better than that !

By Natasha on Thursday, June 27, 2002 - 5:23 pm:

Subject: Re: regarding ADSL internet connection

Thank you for your inquiry to JENS SpinNet.

To sign-up for a new service, please come visit the following URL.

http://www.spinnet.jp/signup/signupe.html

Also, if you are looking into getting Flets ADSL activated in your
home, please contact NTT for the details. The following URL
is a brief information on what ADSL is.

http://www.spinnet.jp/service/flets/fletsa_e.html

If you have any questions, please contact us once more.

We are looking forward to have you as one of our clients again!

Sincerely,

---------------------------------
JENS SpinNet Customer Support Center
TEL:03-3500-2500 Fax:03-3500-2501
E-mail: support@att.ne.jp
http://www.spinnet.jp/english/

10:00-19:00 Monday to Friday,
11:00-18:00 Saturday, Sunday and holidays
(Except during the year-end and New Years holiday period)

By Cornelia on Saturday, August 24, 2002 - 12:05 am:

NTT won't charge fees for ADSL in cases of failure

Friday, August 23, 2002 at 09:30 JST
TOKYO ・NTT East Corp and NTT West Corp announced Thursday they will not charge engineering fees for setting up asymmetric digital subscriber line (ADSL) high-speed Internet access services in homes in cases where construction work turns out to be unsuccessful.

The regional phone units of telecom giant Nippon Telegraph and Telephone Corp (NTT) said that as of Sept 2 they will not charge fees if a user is unable to access the Internet after construction work for ADSL is completed. They said this will not apply in cases where the speed of Internet transmission is slow. (Kyodo News)

By Annmaree & Owen on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 10:01 am:

Hi,

I am contemplating cable internet access at the house Im about to rent because Ive found that the ADSL connection at the serviced apartment Im staying at wont let me use MS Messenger plus webcam.

Has anyone had problems with MS Messenger plus webcam when using Tokyu cable internet?

By Scott Hancock on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 10:12 am:

I would expect that cable internet would have more limitations than ADSL, in general.

Do you know why you cannot use Messenger plus webcam? Does your ADSL provider specifically confirm that it's their limitation? If not, I think there are other issue related to the way you are connected to the ADSL.

If the ADSL provider confirms that they do not support webcam over Messenger, I would ask Tokyu what their experience is before signing up.

If you are using that kind of setup a lot and want the fastest connection, you might look at B-Flets, which is optical connection providing up to 100Mbps (theoretically)compared to the 1.5 or 8Mbps of ADSL.

I have B-Flets and once I moved to WinXP or OS X, which have PPPoE built-in, the results can be outstanding.

Both GOL and ATT are English speaking providers which support B-Flets. It's more costly than ADSL, though. About 10,000/month all in.

By Pato on Saturday, July 26, 2003 - 1:35 pm:

NTT regional units to fix IP telephony ADSL modems

Friday, July 25, 2003
TOKYO ・Following problems with two asymmetric digital subscriber line (ADSL) modems designed to allow users to enjoy IP telephony, NTT East Corp and NTT West Corp said Thursday they will fix the modems for free.

The two modems are NTT East's MNV and NTT West's MV, both of which were put on the market in March, said the regional units of Nippon Telegraph and Telephone Corp. (Kyodo News)

By Amy Uehara on Saturday, November 29, 2003 - 10:11 am:

anti-spam organization puts INTERQ on Black List.
Read more about this organization at:
http://www.spamhaus.org/

(Seems US will pass a CAN-SPAM bill allowing spammers from 2004). Much of Europe already has anti-spam laws in effect.
read more at:
http://www.spamhaus.org/news.lasso?article=150

So, how this has already affected li'l ol' moi out here int the boonies without much technical knowledge other than turning on and typing and clicking, is that I am UNABLE to send many letters!!!
Further research into the "unable to send letter" attachments I receive is that I find out that no, people have not all of a sudden moved, but that my IP has been put on a the Spamhaus "SBL" which is "Spamhaus Block List" and so, as my address has INTERQ in it, many people cannot receive my mail. Cornelia is one of these people.
The billing company Global Media Online is also listed.
So, I have to go and find a different company, it seems and make new contracts, but what companies in Japan are really good? How can I trust any of them?
They say that my IP has constanty ignored the SPAM and even promotes it. True that I have sent much mail to them and received no reply. But, SPAMHAUS writes only in English and I can imagine someone at my IP just seeing English and chucking it.
So, as I cannot send out mail to so many, I would like some advice from those of you "in the know."
And, is it legal to deny a simple letter from Amy to a friend because she uses a certain company?
Of course I hate spam, I just had no idea that I could be found
"guilty by association" as seems to be the case here.
Spamhaus says,
"To avoid jail, spammers will have to spam from their own resources, readily identifiable IP addresses, rather than steal 3rd party relays and proxies. The problem there, which from January will affect all U.S-based spammers, is that their IPs are constantly listed on the SBL ("Spamhaus Block List"), Spamhaus' free anti-spam system used by ISPs throughout the Internet to reject incoming spam from known spam sources. Therefore one effect of CAN-SPAM we will notice, is that CAN-SPAM will channel spammers straight into Spamhaus' filter which means that in 2004 our SBL system is going to be in even greater demand. "

Let me know if you have any good companies in mind so I can resume my e-mailing!!
Amy

By Scott Hancock on Saturday, November 29, 2003 - 2:01 pm:

Amy-
SPAM is a scourge that is threatening to bring down the internet. The solutions being attempted are not perfect, but if they are not done, the spammers will win.

If your Internet Service Provider is not taking steps to curtail spammers that use them, or in fact encouraging them, you definitely need to get a new provider.

The two in Tokyo that provide service in English that I know about are GOL and JENS Spinnet. They are both reputable and you should have no trouble sending mail from them.

http://www.gol.com/index_e.html
http://www.jens.co.jp/en/index.html

By Shibuya on Saturday, November 29, 2003 - 2:25 pm:

By Scott Hancock on Saturday,
November 29, 2003 - 02:01
pm:

Amy-
SPAM is a scourge that is
threatening to bring down the
internet. The solutions being
attempted are not perfect, but
if they are not done, the
spammers will win.

Hi Scott,
I'm just wondering how SPAM
would be a threat to the
internet? Isn't it just annoying
e-mail, that is easy to delete
(or, if you use Apple OSX, your
e-mail program learns what is
SPAM and deletes it for you)?
It's starting to seem, when I
see Amy's comments, that the
"cure" may at times be worse
than the "disease" of SPAM.
Please inform this computer
novice!

(BTW, I use Yahoo BB, and
like it so far. One advantage is
cheaper phone rates, for local
and long distance calls).

By Amy Uehara on Saturday, November 29, 2003 - 4:10 pm:

Hello, Scott and Shibuya,
I will look into these alternatives. I think there is some kind of restriction as to who can serve this rural area...

This explains a bit about how SPAM can bring down the Internet.
I have been to a site or two that were inaccessible from too many people logging on at once. That might have been a few years ago. But, overloading with mass mailings could overload the system. Isn't that how a major book store shut down years ago?
Note the numbers 23 million as opposed to current 200 businesses sending bulk mailings.
"...by actually legalizing Unsolicited Bulk Email instead of banning it. The United States Congress is just months away from giving Unsolicited Bulk Email the green light and unleashing the spamming power of 23 Million American small businesses onto an Internet which already can not cope with the billions of unsolicited bulk mailings sent by just 200 current businesses."

"...The future of Email as a communications tool, a tool on which eCommerce depends, is about to become a future in which 'legal spam' from not hundreds, not thousands, but millions of new bulk emailers will be the only thing your mailbox sees, you'll be lucky if even one email from a customer or colleague ever makes it into your mailbox before it overflows every hour with "ADV" junk."

sone FAQs :

http://www.spamhaus.org/sbl/sbl-faqs.lasso

"...
like any system used to filter email, the SBL has the potential to block items of legitimate email if for example they are sent from an IP under the control of a spammer or via IPs belonging to a Spam Service. The chances of any legitimate email coming from such IPs are very slim, but need to be acknowledged."

I have anti-SPAM software and I really do not get any SPAM. It is sporadic. Last week, a letter from my MOTHER (!) was headed by "SPAM Alert" because it lacked a heading.
Even mailings for which I signed up come up with the spam alert and another newsletter with the SAME genre is not spam!
Other mail I don't want does not get filtered.
What worries me now, is that people wonder why they get no letter from me, and I likewise, may not be getting their mail and so a friendship could disappear because each thinks the other is not writing but both are being filtered by SPAMHAUS. It would be nice to tell the recipient that "You were sent a letter by Amy but as her IP is on SBL, you could not receive it." Then, they would know that I am not ignoring them.
They are kind enough to tell ME why I could not send my mail.

Also, my ISP seems to be doing a good job, because I don't receive SPAM. I'll let you know how the saga turns out. In the meantime, read the threat page from Spamhaus's website. It is not something spammers take lightly, this intervention.

Amy

By Esther Sanders on Sunday, November 30, 2003 - 8:10 am:

Hello. I've just signed up for Yahoo BB internet access and phone service. Yahoo offers something called BB Security Powered by Symantec, which is optional and costs Y490/month. I'm wondering how this service compares with a commercial firewall (such as the McAfee) and if it makes sense to get both. (I already run a McAfee virus scanner.) I also wonder how secure Yahoo is without this service; I've seen lots of general comments saying that Yahoo is "safe," but the customer rep I spoke with said that the security provided for free (without the optional service) is "saitei no reveru" (i.e., "minimal"). I'm really glad to be *finally* going broadband, but will not be keeping my connection "always on" until I get more up to speed on security issues. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Esther Sanders

By Liat Friedman on Sunday, February 15, 2004 - 11:35 pm:

Hi Everyone,
We just got here a month ago and I'm dying to get an internet access so I'll be able to communicate with the rest of the world...
Can anyone recommend a reliable internet access service that is not too expensive and has an English support in case anything goes wrong?
Many Thanks, Liat Friedman

By Scott Hancock on Monday, February 16, 2004 - 11:27 am:

Liat-
We have some good information on internet service at:
http://www.mustangsonline.org/living/Basics/Internet_info/index.htm
Hope it's helpful. Let us know if you have any experience that is different than advertised.
Scott

By Cornelia on Monday, February 16, 2004 - 1:08 pm:

For travelers or anyone who needs internet access and is away from their home base, this website has lists of places where you can get on the internet. Here's the one in English for Tokyo. But they have for all over Japan.

http://www.freespot.net/users/map-e/map_tokyo.html

By Paula on Friday, March 19, 2004 - 7:45 pm:

I highly recommend going with a company called HPO, website is hpo.net.
It is run by a South African man by the name of Fred Krug, most times you can talk with him directly when there is a problem. They have a Spam and Virus filter and if you purchase 6 months or a years worth of internet is cheaper than any other company I've come across.
If you have any problem its great to be talking with a native english speaker andowner. Any problems with following his set-up instruction (and have a laptop) you can take it into him, and he'll do it for you, we weren't charged for this service.

Paula

By Cornelia on Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 10:26 am:

Yahoo.com has just increased the storage in their web based email boxes from 4mb (or 6mb for older accounts) to a whopping 100mb. This beats hotmail.com (at 2mb) by light years. The move is in response to the google "g-mail" challenge offering 1gig email storage.
quote:
"Google's 1 gigabyte Gmail e-mail service"

Now we can finally send pictures to our traveling friends without having them bouncing back to us because of overloaded mailboxes!

By Scott Hancock on Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 12:15 pm:

Cornelia-
Still emailing photos!? Using one of the sharing/printing sites like ofoto or snapfish is much more efficient - and polite, especially for travelling users who might be on analog modems.

(My personal campaign to get people to not send photos as attachments.)

:)
Scott

By Natasha on Friday, August 12, 2005 - 9:48 pm:

Tokyo Internet access fees lowest among 6 major world cities
Wednesday, August 10, 2005 at 07:26 JST
TOKYO ュ Broadband Internet access in Tokyo costs the least among six major world cities, a survey showed Tuesday. The fee for services at speeds of up to 1.5 megabits per second came to 2,650 yen a month in Tokyo, much less than the 4,059 yen the services cost in New York, the second-cheapest city, the Internal Affairs and Communications Ministry said.

Tokyo had the cheapest such fees for the fourth straight year, according to the ministry, which attributed the result to fierce competition among broadband service operators in Japan. The latest survey was conducted in Tokyo, New York, London, Paris, Dusseldorf and Geneva in January. (Kyodo News)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: