Getting Started
Register Here
Edit Profile
Troubleshooting
Contact Admin

For Admins
Forum Software

A Japanese inspired Art Smart project

Japan With Kids - Forums: General Discussions: A Japanese inspired Art Smart project
By Kristin Newton on Monday, October 25, 2004 - 7:22 pm:

I received this inquiry from the States but have no idea what to advise him. Does anyone know?

Thanks!
Kristin

-----Original Message-----
Subject: Art Smart program in Westport, CT

Hi:

My name is Jere Moskovitz and I live in Westport, CT USA. I am a parent volunteer in my sonfs 2nd grade class in a public school where parents come in to the classroom to run art projects during the school year as a supplement to their regular art programs. Our 2nd grade curriculum includes a study of Japan(which includes both modern and historical aspects). We are planning to do a Japanese inspired Art Smart project and have found some photographs of Japanese Batabata drums, or gbeanh drums and we would like very much to have our class make their own drums.

Do you know of any books on this subject, or anywhere we might get instructions for making the drums, or anyone who might sell blank drums suitable for painting by the children?

The project will be done in February, 2005 so we have a bit of time to gather information, materials, etc.

Also, any suggestions of what Japanese history periods or artists that could be used as inspiration for the designs they will paint would be appreciated.

Thanks so much for any help you can offer!

Regards,

Jere

By Yuko Kubota on Monday, October 25, 2004 - 8:30 pm:

As a Japanese, I had no idea what this gentleman was talking about, but I successfully found a lot of information by trying various possibilities on the internet.

Search ۃo^o^ and you'll find lots of sites in Japanese language.

In particular, I found the following site quite informative.
http://www.senior-net.gr.jp/arima/antyouji/honbun-1.html

Please don't tell me to translate all of it, but the gist of it is that they are sold at the New Year market called "Batabata-ichi (batabata market) at Anchouji Temple (or Anchoji Temple) in Amaki City, Fukuoka Prefecture. The drum is supposed to bring luck, especially avoiding smallpox that Ancho suffered as a child.

The site also has 2 lines explaining how the drums are made.

Translation of the quote; The handle is made by spliting bamboo. The drum is shaped by a bent strip of bamboo, then covered by 2 layers of traditional Japanese paper. Soy beans are hanged on both sides of the drum. I guess it's basically similar to the more common traditional toy, denden-taiko.

This site is a bit more photographic.
http://www.ogata-shunsaku.com/antyoji.html

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: