Getting Started
Register Here
Edit Profile
Troubleshooting
Contact Admin

For Admins
Forum Software

I'm afraid of planes (私は平面を恐れている)

Japan With Kids - Forums: General Discussions: I'm afraid of planes (私は平面を恐れている)
By Michael D. Ronketty on Tuesday, December 21, 2004 - 6:20 pm:

Hello, I plan on going to Japan soon and I am afraid of planes, any hints on good ships going to Japan or hints on how to survive the plane flight?

こんにちは、 私は日本へすぐに行くことで計画し、平面を恐れている、 日本に行くよい船のヒントか存続する方法のヒント平らな飛行か。

By Janine Boyd on Tuesday, December 21, 2004 - 8:45 pm:

Just think about it as a bus

and if that doesnt help, look at the steward and stewardess' faces and realise that they have probably just come off a flight and will be on another one tomorrow. Its just another day of work for them and they think no more of flying through space than you would driving a car.

Pretend you have been selected to ensure all those scared passengers are calm and its your job to quietly reassure everyone with your facial expressions and relaxed body language. Your reward for getting someone more nervous than you to relax is a steaming cappucino on arrival.
Good luck on your mission.

By Michael D. Ronketty on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 5:20 am:

Thanks Janine :).

By Jenny on Thursday, December 23, 2004 - 10:36 am:

There are ships to Japan from Russia for example (the trans-siberian railroad connects directly to a ferry that ends up in Japan). But depending on where you are coming from and how much time you have, you might still have to do a plane to get to the port! It's a common phobia and I figure there is a lot about it on the internet. Try a search for "curing fear of flying".

By Greatpowers on Sunday, January 30, 2005 - 12:10 pm:

Counselling would help. I know
Wayne Gretzky had the same fear and counselling helped him a lot.

By Al on Sunday, January 30, 2005 - 5:26 pm:

Read "Airframe" by Michael Crighton. Aside from being a great book it goes into detail about how safe flying really is and all the tests that are done on the planes before they are designated as airworthy. If that doesn't help then drinks LOTS of red wine and go to sleep. They'll wake you up when you arrive.

By Al on Sunday, January 30, 2005 - 5:26 pm:

Read "Airframe" by Michael Crichton. Aside from being a great book it goes into detail about how safe flying really is and all the tests that are done on the planes before they are designated as airworthy. If that doesn't help then drinks LOTS of red wine and go to sleep. They'll wake you up when you arrive.

By Lin Wood on Monday, January 31, 2005 - 2:38 am:

about fear of flying, i too was a wreck about it, holding the plane together with my "will", i couldn't eat, couldn't do anything...i was finally convinced to ask a doctor, who gave me the lowest dose of valium (which i was nervous to take) but it turned out to be a real life saver for me. it took away the anxiety, allowed me to relax enuf to start reading on the tarmack, i didn't even know the plane had taken off since i was so absorbed in my book, until my husband asked how was that takeoff?... also it stimulates a mild drowsiness and i enjoyed naps.. i felt happy and relaxed..and because of the low dose, and thinking of it like that, i didn't get hooked.. but the success came from using it a few times going and coming on long trips to the us/japn/thailand etc. giving me the example, the "model" of relaxation which i never had "on my own" previously.. i am now able to fly without valium...cause i have the relaxation/anxiety free imprint in my memory to follow now. it was worth it, believe me i made everyone around me miserable too, with my holding the plane togehter with my bare hands. good luck, lin

By Sue Slater on Monday, January 31, 2005 - 8:05 am:

I used to be terrified of flying too, I was even scared of the ramp going onto the plane! A doctor gave me some Ativan and on the flights I took that I didn't worry. However I didn't like taking pills so all I do now is use Ear Whisper earplugs, which I put the headphones over on loud, and cant hear the engine drone and I find this makes me much calmer!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: