Edit Profile
Troubleshooting
Contact Admin

For Admins
Forum Software

Dads with Kids

Japan With Kids - Forums: General Discussions: Dads with Kids
By Gerald Vogt on Saturday, September 17, 2005 - 9:35 am:

Are there any dads out there taking care of their kids/babies while their wifes are working full-time?

In most forum messages moms+babies look only for other moms+babies, playgroups often seem to address only moms+babies, nor did I really see any dads (non-japanese or japanese) with babies out there in real life except for the weekends.

By Sloane Wendell on Monday, September 19, 2005 - 8:40 am:

Gerald,
My husband stays at home with our 4 year old son while I work full-time. He loves it, I love it, and my son loves it!

By Schumi on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 11:41 am:

it's not often seen indeed,most of men who have self-respect won't let their wives go out,leaving themselves at home.
note from admin: Frame of reference, apparently posted by someone in China

By Admin on Tuesday, September 4, 2007 - 5:36 pm:

There was a small slew of comments sent to the admin on this post by Schumi. Considering that this division of labor is still statistically not at all common in the "West", I don't think we should be surprised that it is still relatively unheard of here.

Though we can applaud tolerance for those who choose alternatives to the traditional scripts, and do so successfully, I don't think we need to judge too harshly those who are confused or even shocked by such choices.

As a parent/household manager, which is a thankless job in many respects, I personally would think any man signing up for that job must have a very intact self-image!

In any case if you want to debate it, please go ahead and do it in this forum. No need to send me comments on the subject directly!

By Shikokumom on Tuesday, September 4, 2007 - 8:58 pm:

I suppose it's a surprise if not a shock for some cultures to know that it is perfectly normal for males in other cultures take on traditional "female" roles.

By the same token, some people from Western cultures find it surprising if not, pathetic, that men in other cultures aren't able to do traditional female roles. Especially when the women are able to do the exact same thing as men.
Some people even find it hard to respect men who won't let their wives go out while they stay at home.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: