Edit Profile
Troubleshooting
Contact Admin

For Admins
Forum Software

Salaries

Japan With Kids - Forums: General Discussions: Salaries
By kristine tetlaw on Wednesday, May 31, 2000 - 3:02 pm:

My husband is applying for a job with an IT company in Tokyo. We have lived in Japan before we had children. Now we have 5! My question for all you experts out there is this: What sort of salary is considered reasonable these days for a computer professional? I don't want to be crass but I would really like to know so that we are not stranded in Tokyo with 5 little children and very little money. How much does it cost to run a household with children in Tokyo? Thanks for your time and advice.

By shancock on Wednesday, May 31, 2000 - 4:17 pm:

Here's a place to start:
http://www.computingjapan.com/magazine/issues/1999/sept99/docs/sept99_survey.html
(make sure you copy/past the whole thing to make sure)

There are many answers to the question of "How much does it cost?". When you lived here before, at what standard of living was it? Do you want that standard or better? Settle for something less?

Seems you would need a pretty big place to live. What are your minimum requirements there? If you can specify how many square meters and how far away you're willing to accept, you can pretty quickly get some estimates of housing cost.

Also depends on how long of a period you're contemplating. If you had five school-age kids looking at Int'l school... you could hire at least one teacher on your own and do your own school on that amount of money! (I know someone who does it with 4.)

Very personal kind of thing to answer, I think. There's such a range of possibilities.

FWIW

P.S. You are clear about the amount of space 170,000 will buy compared to whatever you're living in in Australia, right?

If you have the time & inclination, there seems to be a good home schooling network here, now.

By kristine on Thursday, June 1, 2000 - 2:00 pm:

I guess it was asking a lot wasn't it!!! :)
We lived in a fairly small town in Okayama-ken and we both worked as English teachers. I worked through the JET programme and had a very good deal! No rent, good salary etc. I'm fairly certain things will be different this time around!
I've looked on the net and found out a 3 bedroom apartment costs about 170,000 yen a month in the shibuya area. I think we could squeeze into something like that. My husband wouldn't mind travelling a little to work(his commute in Australia is about 30 mins. each way) so I guess we could live further out.
The kids education is about the only thing we have concerns about. We certainly couldn't afford an International school. Home-schooling, private teacher or public school are our options.
We intend staying about 2-3 years.
Thanks for the link. I'll check it out now. Any other info will be greatly appreciated.

By Smith on Thursday, June 1, 2000 - 6:47 pm:

Dear Kristine,

\170.000 for three bedroom apat. in Shibuya sounds very very cheap to me.I don't mean what Japanese call 3LDK, but with proper sized bedrooms, kithcen, dining room,and livimg room. I can imagine a same kind of place for 1.700.000 a month (firnished)

I am living in Ota-ku. Takes half an hour to get to the central Tokyo. normal 3LDK can costs around \200.000.Rent for houses, in our area, around 300.000 for 3LDK or 4LDK.

I calculated our cost of living for us, because we were planning to buy a house.We are normal family with two small children, and include our insuarance and eating out our other stuff, \270.000 (no rent)

Many conpanies help some part of rents for their employee, so it really depends on what the deal is.

Good luck.

By kristine on Friday, June 2, 2000 - 10:00 am:

Thanks for all your help everyone. I have a much clearer picture of what to expect now.
Thanks for the renting info. I do understand about the size of homes in Japan having lived in a little apartment in Okayama which was actually considered "family" accomodation!
Any more info will be eagerly read!

By J@pan Inc. magazine on Wednesday, June 21, 2000 - 11:18 am:

Just wanted to let you know that we will be preparing for the 2000 Japan IT recruiting section which would probably also include a salary survey.
So watch out for it!

Regards, Karen Ng
email: karen.ng_at_lincmedia.co.jp
Marketing Executive
J@pan Inc. magazine
http://www.computingjapan.com/

By Drdo1 on Saturday, February 9, 2008 - 8:56 am:

Hello. Please advise. I am up to re-negotiate my contract directly with my place of employment. The Adminstravtive Staff has changed and I was wondering what is the best way to go about addressing changes in my contract (with a new Principal who has never negotiated directly with a foreigner.)

I have a fairly reasonable set-up already, but of course, wish for a raise, shorter hours, other basic perks. When dealing with Japanese, I assume being too assertive is not as wise as it is in the US, let's say.

What advice can you offer?

They handed me my old contract and asked ME to appraoch them next week with the changes I would like. Then we will negotiate.

Will I look greedy if I push for the limit(s) (in their eyes.) Do I need to offer justifications for everything I request? (i.e I am the breadwinner of the family; kids school costs, insurance and rent all raised in price this year, etc.?)

Thank you for your help!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: