Edit Profile
Troubleshooting
Contact Admin

For Admins
Forum Software

Public Toilets

Japan With Kids - Forums: General Discussions: Public Toilets
By Hotes Family on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 10:42 pm:

My friend is making a documentary about public toilets and is coming to Japan in mid- to late-February to shoot some footage of Japanese toilets. I have told him all about squat toilets and the funky Western-style toilets with all the buttons. Does anyone have any recommendations of unusual toilets / toilets-worth-seeing in Tokyo and surrounding area? Up in rural Hokkaido I've been to some that play nature noises to mask the sound of a person peeing, but I haven't found any like that since moving to Tokyo. Are there any dept. stores in Tokyo designed entirely for children? I've seen a very posh one in Sapporo, so I'm sure they must here, too! Thanks in advance for your help on this one!

By Nancy on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 7:59 am:

There are many toilets in hotels that play the "nature noises"...I also think your friend should capture on film the public washroom that has the child seat installed on the wall, usually inside the stall. I think this is very clever, as are the small urinals for little boys who accompany their moms into the women's washroom. Maybe your friend should try and interview someone from TOTO, since they not only sell in Japan but export their products. It might be interesting to hear their views on the different markets.

By Treena Smith on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 9:57 am:

What I think is alittle bizarre is that sometimes in parks the mens urinals have been built so if you happen to look that way you might see any action going on.
Why would they place them in such a way.

By Bethan Hutton on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 10:07 am:

Tobu department store in Ikebukuro has a special children-only toilet room on the 7th floor (by the toys) with a couple of stalls with mini-toilets, mini-urinals etc, and it is all decorated to look like buses and trains. Most department stores have useful things like the seats for babies inside the toilet stalls, some toilets with fold-down child-size seats to fit over the adult-size ones, and small urinals in the ladies for boys with their mothers.

If your friend is also looking for interesting/unusual public toilets, try the ground floor ones in Meguro Gajoen restaurant/wedding hall complex. You cross a bridge over a little stream to go in, and I seem to remember nature sounds etc in the bathrooms.

By Caroline on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 11:03 am:

Is this just the toilets that your friend is interested in or the whole toilet experience? For instance, would your friend be interested in learning how one should nicely fold the toilet paper so that it forms a little triangle, as a special touch for the next user... I noticed this at my company 15 years ago and still continue to be amazed that even when going to the toilet, the Japanese are concerned about the others. Great details!

By Yuko Kubota on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 11:57 am:

We often see paper "seat covers" in Japan to lightly cover the toilet seat that many buttocks may have touched, but I wonder if it was the ski resport Gala Uzawa that had seats that circulate so that you won't have to sit on the same spot!

Your friend might want to contact the Japan Toilet Association, or even take a look at their link to the World Toilet Organization.
http://www.toilet.or.jp/

By Kit on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 1:17 pm:

Well, you seem to be "flush" with
responses already, but my company has
toilets that play a "flushing" sound to
cover nature's own music. This has the
unfortunate result of sometimes fooling
people into thinking that they've flushed
when they haven't, I guess. There are also
high-end commodes that give you a
"massaging bidet" experience, and a blow
dry at the end of it all. What kills me,
though, is the remote control unit that
comes with some toilets. How remote are
you going to be, after all, I wonder, and
what happens if your toddler gets ahold of
the thing?

By Janine Boyd on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 12:27 am:

Its been a few yrs since I have been to this place but the toilets I found fascinating, (beautiful but noisy) were out at Sanrio land
or what I would call Hello Kitty Land. They are decorated extravagantly with music chimed so loud you would hardly need the sound of waves to disguise any sounds.
I couldnt find any pics of their actual toilets but if you check out this link you can get an idea of how "pretty" everything is. The change table was made like a nest in the woods complete with birds in the trees, murals and craft adorning everywall.
http://www.puroland.co.jp/spl/dictionary/attraction/mp_factory.html

By Hotes Family on Sunday, February 5, 2006 - 10:54 pm:

Thank you so much for all your
wonderful ideas. My friend has
found them all extremely helpful!!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: